• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Freelancers Report that PiQ's July Issue Is Its Last

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I think a lot of people expected PIQ to live up to Newtype's anime coverage and when it didn't-guess what? They stopped buying it! PIQ didn't do anything for me-if I buy a magazine about anime and manga-that's what I expect to get-not the stuff in PIQ.
yoru08

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I have contacted my local authority and be advised to take further action immediately.
Judging by both NTUSA and PiQ illegal acts, they not going to refund anybody a penny. All they doing is to buying time as much as possible since they need time to complete their "BANKRUPTCY" claims and it does take certain time for judge approval depending on wherever they filling the claims
So please if anyone really wish to have your own money back, I need more witness and back-up on the upcoming trial . I not allowing them to extending any more time

Please help me , first, please send them the dispute letter to whichever address you able to obtain to:
(if you need one, I will post two address on my hands here)
The sample of dispute letter as following:
http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/guide/complain.shtml

Then please go to this legal website of Federal Trade Commission to report their illegal acts at :
http://www.ftc.gov/

and I have a guide for Consumer Complaints, please feel free to read it:
http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/consumer-selfhelp.shtml

Thank you in advance for all of your help!
I deeply appreciated it!
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
Wow, from Tokyopop to this... The anime and manga world is really hardup. I hope ADV doesn't go down like Geneon. Sad

Maybe they should've marketed it better. I didn't even know that PiQ had been out for awhile. I would've bought an issue if I had known. Sad
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Batman3777 wrote:
You know, on one hand this news is sort of sad... expected, but sad. I don't like seeing anime/manga related stuff fail here in the states, but I was not surprised as I have looked at PiQ at my local B&N, and promptly put in back on the shelf after doing so. Shocked I didn't hate it, but it just did not cover enough of what I liked, whereas NTUSA did.

But on the other hand, I sort of think this is a good thing. I think this points out well that Newtype could do well here in the states, provided a better job managing and funding the magazine is done... so maybe Newtype USA will appear again? Think about it: NewType Japan did say they were sorry to see it go, and that they wanted to try to work with another company to bring it back, so perhaps this will be a boost to that plan? Not only does this prove, rather inadvertantly I guess, that NTUSA was popular, but it also removed some of the competition to a future release of NTUSA... double bonus! Idea

Or maybe it's my eternal optimism kicking in again. Laughing

I'd love to see NTUSA return. I miss it.
saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
Kadokawa Shoten is now being poorly run in Japan in fact they just recently launched thier own streaming online service and have been forcing alot of online fansubbers to shut down pratices.

I'm sorry, can you clarify? Because it sounds like you're saying that Kadokawa is doing something terrible by trying to stop fansubbers. Kadokawa's move to make anime free online is a step in the right direction. Far too many Japanese companies are refusing to take steps to make more anime free because they are too entrenched in the way things have always been done.
saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Hexon.Arq wrote:
Anime news thrives on the Internet, anyway; it wasn't like NewType USA was some kind of valuable resource (or really anything other than a flashy printed knick-knack, for that matter), and its disintegration into PiQ and the ensuing survival of the universe just went to illustrate its expendability; PiQ was merely a doll's shadow that faded into the night. When you think about it, printed magazines devoted to anime almost seem superfluous--and I think I can even include PA in that assessment (sorry).

These days, printed magazines of any kind--all the way up the ladder to Time and The New Yorker--are "superfluous" if you only consider the purpose of a magazine to be source of news. But that's not what magazines do anymore.

Everyone knows that information on the Internet is faster; people buy magazines for entertainment. The only thing that a magazine these days can offer readers is a focused, extremely entertaining voice or hot exclusives. When PiQ broadened its audience in an attempt to appeal to more readers, it lost the focused voice of NT, and with few studios knowing the new name, I'm guessing that exclusives were an uphill battle.

Advertisers make or break a magazine, and if an advertiser can't look at a magazine and clearly see that the mag's audience will eat up his product, then he's going to spend his money on a safer bet. And with PiQ spreading itself over so many areas, many advertisers probably couldn't even get a good feel for the magazine's demographic, much less if that slice was going to buy their product.

If you don't think that advertising makes a magazine, consider this:

Say a magazine sells subscriptions for $20 a year. If 15,000 people subscribe to that magazine, it's making $300,000 a year, or $25,000 a month. However, 25k a month is not going to cover paychecks, office rent, printing and shipping the magazine, and the host of assorted expenses. Without supplementary income from advertisers, a magazine is doomed to failure 100% of the time no matter how good or bad it is.

[NB: Yes, I left out newsstand sales. I was trying to make an uncomplicated point. Trust me, even if you add them in, a mag is in the red without ads. Also, no, those are not Anime Insider's sales figures :) I used small-to-mid-sized-magazine average costs.]

Summer
Editor, Anime Insider
Batman3777

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:

First of all, Newtype was NOT discontinued by ADV, it was Kadakowa Shoten's decision to cease publishing "Newtype" in the U.S. in January, Greg Ayers told all of those attending "anime Tuesdays at the Alamo" That "Kadakowa Shoten was cutting back on it's magazine and no longer was interested in publishing it in the west to anyone for that matter." Believe me Ayers was very pissed, he even berated the president of Kadakowa and cussed him out.

This is definitely NOT the whole truth.

From BV's blog, Tatsunori Konno discussing NTUSA's end here:

Quote:
Newtype USA is associated with Newtype in Japan (published by Kadokawa Shoten in Japan), so US anime fans are able to receive news about the Japanese anime industry. Consequently without this magazine US fans will lose a valuable resource, and it will affect companies who sell anime DVDs. In Japan, some have started talks to continue Newtype USA without AD Vision, but we do not know what is going on yet.

So, Greg Ayres must have been somewhat... mistaken. Perhaps he was misinformed? I am sure managment was not eager to tell everyone around them "yup, money is tight and we can't pay for the license, so... we're not going to be NTUSA anymore."

Hopefully, ADV will learn from this experience and improve its business management and model. That way we can avoid anymore losses, and not have to endure the "the sky is falling" worries.

PiQ did not sell, well, probably, for 2 reasons: 1. it wasn't given enough time to sell, and 2. the original readership was not interested in this new hybrid magazine. It happens. If the magazine had more ads, and if management had been better, PiQ might have been able to ride out the storm and gain readership.

Like I said earlier, I hope NTUSA can come back. Everyone write in to Kodakawa and ask!!! Very Happy
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:

Their new main location is on: W. Sam Houston Pkwy N.

Quote:
In most of ADV older pre 2006 DVD packages they still list the companies main address as: 5750 Bintliff due to the fact that it's thier mailing address.

They moved back to Bintliff. I've been there fairly recently. They had their main office at Sam Houston for a while,but consolidated them back to the Bintliff location, along with the recording studio.

Their warehouse is still on Sam Houston, maybe that's why you're confused?

-t
Hmm I never thought of that, thanks for the info!
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
saishokushugisha wrote:
Summer says some cool stuff.

Summer is totally right (and completely awesome for 'splainin' a few things). The print magazine business is one that is VERY hard to make money in, because even if you do get enough ads and subscribers and newsstand buyers to cover your costs, you still have to deal with an extremely bloated and archaic printing and distribution system that in some ways seems designed to make magazines lose money. And we won't even talk about the number of magazines that get pulped every month. When I started my magazine job (for a monthly with roughly 30,000 subscribers) I found out how many magazines don't sell and what happens to them—AND that the magazine company has to pay for all of that! Oy.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
[quote="irishninja"]
saishokushugisha wrote:
And we won't even talk about the number of magazines that get pulped every month. When I started my magazine job (for a monthly with roughly 30,000 subscribers) I found out how many magazines don't sell and what happens to them—AND that the magazine company has to pay for all of that! Oy.

So why not recycle them? Get with the times, Green propaganda BS....
saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:27 am Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:

And we won't even talk about the number of magazines that get pulped every month. When I started my magazine job (for a monthly with roughly 30,000 subscribers) I found out how many magazines don't sell and what happens to them—AND that the magazine company has to pay for all of that! Oy.

I know! The giant chain bookstores are so big that they can set their own rules that everyone is forced to follow. For those not in the know, one of those is that they can "strip" the cover off books and magazines and just return that to the publisher for return credit. They save on shipping and just toss the remaining magazines/books. Well, a lot do get recycled, actually, but it still means that the publisher has to give money back for magazines that it can't ever resell.

Hope I'm not getting too far off topic here.
mithrandiryod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
Personally I saw this coming when they decided to ditch Newtype and try to branch on their own. Most of their subscribers (Me Included) more than likely didn't want a new magazine and took their patronage elsewhere. I actually received the first issue before my subscription tanked....wasn't impressed in the least. I found most of their insights flawed, and while I did enjoy looking at their take on the industry I could only laugh at their poor attempts to cover everything else. Goes to show though....if it isn't broke...don't try to fix it, and if it isn't profitable, you only have yourself to blame really.

-mith
wintermoon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
saishokushugisha wrote:
irishninja wrote:

I know! The giant chain bookstores are so big that they can set their own rules that everyone is forced to follow. For those not in the know, one of those is that they can "strip" the cover off books and magazines and just return that to the publisher for return credit. They save on shipping and just toss the remaining magazines/books. Well, a lot do get recycled, actually, but it still means that the publisher has to give money back for magazines that it can't ever resell.

Hope I'm not getting too far off topic here.

*follows you off topic*

I always wondered how much "stripping" affected publishers financially. I worked at Barnes & Noble for three years and I can't even begin to tell you how many book and mag covers I've stripped and sent back. If it sits on the shelf too long you simply rip of the cover and send it back. The rest of the book or mag is thrown away-seems like an expensive disposal service...

(On the other hand, if you work there you can go through the stuff to be thrown out and take the books/mags you want for free, so I ended up with a TON of free books/mags.) Smile

To get back on topic: I was a NTUSA subscriber. I liked it a lot because it gave me the info that I was looking for, and I liked getting the dvd. Piq tried to do too much. I think that everyone has pointed out it's deficiencies already, so I'm not going to touch on them. When it came down to it, whether the mag was good or not doesn't matter, it just didn't cover enough of what I wanted to read about. I was very thankful that my NTUSA subscription only had one issue left. (Otaku USA-here I come!)

The fact that it seems like people won't be able to get refunds for the remaining balance of their subscription is terrible. NTUSA was an expensive magazine. I hope this issue is resolved for you all very soon.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
saishokushugisha wrote:
For those not in the know, one of those is that they can "strip" the cover off books and magazines and just return that to the publisher for return credit. They save on shipping and just toss the remaining magazines/books. Well, a lot do get recycled, actually, but it still means that the publisher has to give money back for magazines that it can't ever resell.

When I was very young, I remember us getting a few books with missing covers from my grandad who drove a van for a large newagent chain. so some did get 'recycled' even back then Wink The best stuff as far as I was concerned was old sticker books with whole boxes of stickers (never really mattered what the stickers were for). I've never really been aware that it was the publisher who footed the bill for it, as that really is senseless - I'm no retail expert but AFAIK pretty much everywhere else if you buy more than you can sell, you have a sale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
So with that all said and done, everyone up for suporting Otaku USA's efforts?

Honestly, I don't expect Otaku USA to be around for many years to come. And I wouldn't be too suprised to see Wizard shut down Anime Insider. After all, Insider's website has been dead for months now.

The problem is, that print magazines are dying a slow painful death right now. Even the major publishers are having problems, and several have even filed for bankruptcy (like ZD). With such a niche market like anime, there just isn't the revenue to make a magazine really successful. And with the internet, most of the news in these magazines is months old by the time it's printed.

And I just don't like Otaku USA. It's a pale imitator of Newtype USA, with similar shallow articles, but none of the pretty artwork. It may be cheaper than Newtype was, but I still feel like I"m gettting ripped off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11