• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fist and Fantasy

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
Oh man English of the Dead sounds awesome, I still have fond memories of playing Typing of the Dead with my friends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jariten
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
Nice to know someone else out there is still showing love for The Guardian Legend. One of the finest NES titles out there by far. Very Happy
Alucalb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
Gee, thanks, I had almost completely suppressed all memories of the awful Game Boy FOTNS. I guess God Hand is as close as we'll get to a good FOTNS beat-'em-up (just one exploding head and it'd be perfect).

What are your thoughts on the PS2 FOTNS fighting game, by the way?

Quote:
the Super Robot Wars fans who prefer fewer classic giant mecha and more giant heaving breasts are playing Super Robot Wars Original Generation Endless Frontier. A DS spin-off of a spin-off, the game features the license-free robots from the Original Generation series in an alternative universe. In this brave new land, they're overshadowed by the game's collection of busty anime-girl stereotypes: ninja girls, catgirls, witch girls, dancing shaman girls, sword-wielding princess girls dressed like cocktail waitresses (right), and, of course, robot girls.

It also has badass cowboys with gunblade-thingies busting out Devil May Cry-style combos on evildoers. But I guess that alone wouldn't sell to otaku as much.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
quick note

SRW Alpha was the PS! game which started the alpha-verse

the A in SRW A (for the GBA) stands for Advance (which is indeed the game being remade in SRW A Protable)
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Like a lot of children of the '80s, I plunged into games when my parents finally caved and bought me the iconic, competition-squashing Nintendo Entertainment System. The experience of owning an NES left me with only marginal respect for all that old Atari stuff

I was more into the SNES, but I did like the NES more than Atari, too.

Quote:
Oh, and my favorite NES games are Crystalis, The Guardian Legend, and, of course, Super Mario Bros. 3.

My favorite NES games are Ninja Gaiden(all of 'em, of course), Dragon Warrior/Quest(all of 'em, too), and Shadowgate and Deja Vu. [Never got to play Uninvited.] (Speaking of Dragon Quest, don't forget to mention the new DS ports, since the rest of ANN chose to ignore it. )

As for MM9, it'd be nice if it was a sequel, since I'm not to fond of Rockman and Forte. As for Mother 3, I'm hoping we get some sort of collection down the road. Crying or Very sad
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's time to accept that the cutthroat medieval politics and grim undertones of the original Final Fantasy Tactics are never coming back to the series.

I refuse to accept this. It will be back.... someday..... really.... [/delusion]

Sadly, its probably true, but I try to remain optimistic that it will someday happen, however unrealistic it may be.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:04 am Reply with quote
I believe that there was also a series of Hokuto no Ken games (seven or so) for the old Famicom and Super Famicom. I remember that they were fairly contemporary to the 7 or so Gundam Gatchapon which also crossed over to the 16 bit system. I'm surprised that none of them made it out to the States.

Last edited by Randall Miyashiro on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
I agree with the article about the Hotuko No Ken games most of them do suck although I heard the Mark III version of the game was actaully solid and decent. You right about the NES version which was a poorly ported piece of garbage it's kinda of like when Tengen illegaly took SEGA's superb "Shinobi" for the SMS and then turned it into crap on the NES.

As for "Last Battle", it sucks. It is without a doubt the worse Genesis game I've ever played in my life. Almost completely unbeatable with sluggish gameplay and poor level design, plus a storyline that doesn't have a damn thing to do with Fist of the North Star.
I've heard of botched Japanese games that were poorly translated(many of them that made it to the NES, but this one takes the cake.)
I have played the 2005 arcade game at an import in town, it's very hard, but it's fun.
rti9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:32 am Reply with quote
TornadoTatsumaki wrote:
I have played the 2005 arcade game at an import in town, it's very hard, but it's fun.

I doubt it will ever reach America despite this link which I found on wikipedia. 北斗の拳 審判の双蒼星 拳豪列伝 is a street-fighter-like game based on the popular series. Link to the promotion video.

To reach the wikipedia entry just type "Fist of the North Star (arcade game)" - the link system here doesn't accept brackets.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
So Todd what is your option of FINAL FANTASY Tactics A2?

Is the game too childish to enjoy or too easy to enjoy? I read your review and while I thought the review was welll written, I can't tell if I should buy the game or not.

I've played Tactics and Gba tactics and enjoy both though. But Todd, do you think this game is too childish for an old gamer like myself to enjoy?
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
Ahaha, I've totally played Fighting Mania at some point, but it actually was the Japanese version. At first I didn't realize it was Fist of the North Star, but when I got to the end of the battle with the AHTATATATA part, I just started laughing. Konami also made another fantastic similar game called Boxing Mania that I believe is based on a popular boxing anime. If I owned that game and played that along with my DDR regimen, I'd actually be in shape. I nearly gave myself heart-palpitations trying to get back up in Boxing Mania, not realizing the machine was actually broken.. ^^;

I love that there are a lot of great Japanese titles in constant supply to the DS. Tornado Cat sounds pretty interesting. Also, I'm glad to hear info on Stafy. I've been interested in that stupidly cute character ever since it showed up as a mostly useless helper trophy in Smash Bros Brawl. Already being obsessed with Kirby, I wish that someone would release those games here. (mm.. staph infection).

Great column!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Hahahaha, is that Hello Work game for realz?!
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
It's been years since I've played Fighting Mania. Every arcade in the area used to have it, but I guess they all broke down. I know the one I usually went to had to replace the pads at least once.

I miss that game, and it's terrible difficulty curve. I couldn't even beat the second battle on the second difficulty, but I could get to the fourth battle on the third difficulty with little issue.
humantyphoon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, a new Mega Man!? I have been waiting eleven years for this.

As for Final Fantasy Tactics A2 I hope its better than FFTA because I'm going to play it.

I really like The X Button, what a great addition to ANN.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Mega Man 9 Shocked . I thought that Keiji Inafune was hesitant on making Mega Man 9 since its been long theorized by fans on many forums across the internet that there is a possibility that the beloved blue bomber would actually be killed off some how, and I doubt that capcom would want to have one of there major icons killed off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3