• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo to Post Strike Witches Online Globally

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:30 am Reply with quote
Nice. Good to see that Gonzo's experiment with Druaga and Blassreiter won't end with the two series.

I previously wasn't too interested, but I'll watch it out of support, like I did with Druaga and Blassreiter.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:41 am Reply with quote
I hear that GDH owns a chunk of BOST, actually, so perhaps they've decided to just use them to make the subtitles and not to distribute the content (all the subs for Blassreitler and Druaga were done by the BOST people, so...)

I'm glad they seem to be continuing this trend (despite me not being able to watch the subs from Japan).
cloud1989

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:01 am Reply with quote
it seems to have be profitable for gonzo, I was was worried the experiment might fail and those would be the only 2 shows that did this but apparently they are continuing so it must have a positive effect, hopefully other japanese companies will follow.
mastertr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
I wasn't very impressed with the original Strike Witches short OVA that was released but I still want to check out the TV series to see if I like it any better. I'm glad GONZO decided to do the YouTube releases again. It means I'll be able to get the episodes legally, which is great. Definitely hoping other studios see what an apparent success this has been for GDH and follows in their footsteps.
melonbread

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:51 am Reply with quote
No simultaneous physical media distribution (i.e DVD), means a no-sale for me. I hate Crunchyroll, and who the hell would submit to watching anime on youtube!?

Apart from that, I'm glad Gonzo have found another way to make money, and that what has happened so far has been a success...
Crawly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
I'm glad it's working out for them. I wasn't too interested in the previous titles they offered this way, but if I can grab a few episodes of Witches for free to check it out, I'll buy the dvds if it seems decent. Though I do have to agree with the above poster. How the heck can anyone watch anything subtitled on Youtube? But I'm old and wear glasses... Laughing

Not being someone to use my computer as a tv, though, I'd only use this service as a free preview. Especially with Gonzo as they're so hit or miss with their series. Of course, I could burn fansubs to dvd and watch on the tv, so the illegal means are still better than the legal ones in this case. I'm glad they're doing it, though. It's a good way to get that generation that grew up watching the internet and the people who are perfectly happy tucked away in their deck chairs. Wink
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:13 am Reply with quote
We're assuming they are making any money on this. It's possible that rather than making any money, they might simply be hoping to either prevent or at least diminish the number of people fan subbing and bootlegging their series. This is probably little more than a first step toward trying to turn people toward legitimate (if slightly problematic) means of viewing the series in preparation for a push down the road for a more profitable physical media release.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
We're assuming they are making any money on this. It's possible that rather than making any money, they might simply be hoping to either prevent or at least diminish the number of people fan subbing and bootlegging their series. This is probably little more than a first step toward trying to turn people toward legitimate (if slightly problematic) means of viewing the series in preparation for a push down the road for a more profitable physical media release.

It didn't work for stoping fansubs. It actually made it easy, sine they translated. The fansubs of Blassreiter and Duraga are beautiful 1280x720 video with AAC audio, WAY better then the streaming versions
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
It didn't work for stoping fansubs. It actually made it easy, sine they translated. The fansubs of Blassreiter and Duraga are beautiful 1280x720 video with AAC audio, WAY better then the streaming versions
Really? I thought fansubbers had all kinds of moral codes about that. I'm so terribly shocked! (This is sarcasm.)

So basically even if the Japanese do what the sub fans have been begging for, simultaneous releases, they'll still just download everything and give all legitimate releases the finger. I'd say I was surprised but really I'm just disappointed.

Anime fans continue to be their own worst enemy.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Really? I thought fansubbers had all kinds of moral codes about that. I'm so terribly shocked! (This is sarcasm.)

So basically even if the Japanese do what the sub fans have been begging for, simultaneous releases, they'll still just download everything and give all legitimate releases the finger. I'd say I was surprised but really I'm just disappointed.

Well, from what I hear, what happened a lot was that a lot of people DID watch the show on youtube or crunchyroll first, and then went and downloaded the high-res fansubs later for archival purposes.
Since there's no guarantee there would ever be a DVD release.
So in effect the existence of fansubs didn't effect their bottom line much, since a lot of people watched the streaming versions first (along with the ad revenue that that generated).
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote
But there were less groups out there than if this wasn't an R1 title. If they had upscaled their broadcast that probably would have cut into the fansubs.

Possibly BOST TV viewers also wouldn't have gone for Strike Witches anyways.
Rainulf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Yeah, translator-wanabes started popping up. I really hope Gonzo stream this in higher quality, but that would be asking too much. lol
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

You are taking about streaming VS HDTV........are you kidding me? Is that even a choice? even 700x400 VS 1280x720 is not a real question. But streaming? When they have subtitled HD real soon after RAW HD, then I'll be interested. Right now it's YouTube/Crunchyroll VS HDTV, both are free. Not even a dillema.
duowolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
If it's not on BOST then I'll get it by other means. Youtube and CR are awful. Though I believe with TOD ending it'll be on Bosttv aswell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Silly me! I thought the premise was about a group of witches who demand to join a union. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2