• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Galaxy Express 999: The Movie

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I still remember having a copy of this taped off of TV back when I was little (no idea whether it was the good dub or not). Too bad we don't have it anymore.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Actually, unless I'm remembering wrong, part of the manga WAS released in the US. It was serialized in the back pages of Animerica back in the mid-90's. I'm pretty sure it was never finished, though, and Viz never released a graphic novel to my knowledge.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I do wish more Leiji Matsumoto stuff would get picked up. Not like I have any problem relying on fansubs, but I'd liked to actually own Space Pirate Captain Harlock (1978) and Endless Orbit SSX. Shame that they never will be available.
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Ah, this brings back memories. I saw both GE 999 and A GE 999 on SciFi back in the 90's. Even though I only saw the both of them one time, they still remain as some of my fondest memories of the good old days.
JCB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern, you and Justin are kind of both correct. He was referring to the original manga, which has not seen publication in America at all. The version you remember from Animerica was actually Matsumoto's sequel series from 1996, which Viz was presenting as a continuation of the first movie. Incidentally, Viz made it far enough to release five volumes. (GE999 sits alongside Black Jack and Patlabor as three classic manga that Viz dropped almost immediately after starting them.)
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I remember renting Adieu Galaxy Express 999... maybe my knowledge of the subject matter was lacking (I'd read some of the Animerica installments prior to the rental, and that's it)... but I hated it! I thought it was too slow, very boring, and ran entirely too long (wasn't that one in the 2+ hour range?)

Wonder how I'd feel about it if I saw it today...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching the movie version back when they aired on Sci-Fi Channel's "Saturday Anime" morning block. It's what drew me to Leiji Matsumoto's unique style in art and storytelling. Since, I've seen what little of his has been available in the U.S. (and a few things which haven't), from Queen Emeraldas to Interstella 5555. My favorite work of his, though not soley his, is Space Battleship Yamato, with its iconic characters like Susumu Kodai, Yuki Mori, Captain Okita, and others and its interesting science concepts.

On the subject of Rintaro, I was fond of Metropolis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
JCB wrote:
Wyvern, you and Justin are kind of both correct. He was referring to the original manga, which has not seen publication in America at all. The version you remember from Animerica was actually Matsumoto's sequel series from 1996, which Viz was presenting as a continuation of the first movie. Incidentally, Viz made it far enough to release five volumes. (GE999 sits alongside Black Jack and Patlabor as three classic manga that Viz dropped almost immediately after starting them.)

Don't forget Legend of Kamui. But I digress.

Having read the manga I've always had a strong desire to see this baby, and the article was a nice reminded to start searching.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
On the subject of Rintaro, I was fond of Metropolis.

I consider Metropolis a so-so movie that could have been a good movie had it not been for Rintaro. The story is great, the art is gorgeous, and the script had potential (though it could have used some rewrites). However, all are stymied by all these absurd directorial touches that absolutely do not work -- from the Looney Toons fade-out bubbles that then relaunch in the same scene, to disastrously inappropriate musical choices (happy big band music while people are DYING IN A FIRE!?). They're stylish, but work against the story, the mood and the pace of the film. The end result is not the work of a filmmaker, but a fine artist masquerading as a filmmaker and giving himself away at nearly every opportunity. It's no wonder the Japanese public rejected it outright.

Any sympathy I further had for Rintaro was erased when I saw the interview with him where he basically admits Dr. Tezuka did not like the story and did not want it animated, so he basically waited for him to die so he could do it anyway. Absolutely disgusting.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
I found myself immediately attracted to Leiji Matsumoto's character designs when I first laid eyes on them. However, I never got around to watching anything of his until Arcadia of My Youth was going out of print. That movie and Space Pirate Captain Harlock: The Endless Odyssey are some of the best purchases I made. I am very disappointed that their is not enough love for the Leiji-verse to get more of his work over here. Would anyone care to please point me to where I can purchase those Korean movie releases?
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Ah, this brings back memories. I saw both GE 999 and A GE 999 on SciFi back in the 90's. Even though I only saw the both of them one time, they still remain as some of my fondest memories of the good old days.

That's where I saw both of them as well.

Scifi Channel in the mid 90's had some really great anime.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
Would anyone care to please point me to where I can purchase those Korean movie releases?

I got mine from dvdfromkorea.com for the absurdly low price of US$12.61 for the first two films. (The three disc version is OOP. No idea what was on Disc 3, but it's not any further GE999 animation. The two disc version is still available.) Shipping to the US is another $10, but it's still a steal at that price. I'd give you a link, but for some reason their site prevents it.

This IS a legal release believe it or not, though DVD Ani probably got in trouble for including the English subs.
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
I won a copy of either this or the second movie [I'm thinking second, it was subbed] from Viz back when Animerica Extra was around, along with some volume of the Evangelion manga. I never bothered watching it then though, since I was like 10 and old anime with subtitles couldn't hold my interest. I've really been wanting to try out some Leiji Matsumoto stuff though, since I think his character designs are absolutely amazing and Interstella 5555 is definitely in my top 5 anime movies.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the link, Mr, Sevakis. And I know about DVD Ani having legal releases (for the most part) and how they didn't have permission to use the English subs. Good on them I say.
belisarius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
I have no idea where I saw this (maybe Sci-Fi during its nascent desperate for programming days or Cartoon Network's prequel to Adult Swim Toonami : The Midnight Run), but I watched it twice and it is indeed every bit the masterpiece JS says it is. Then end is..... something else. Storytelling at its finest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4