• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A.D. Vision to Auction Surplus Office Supplies

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
its good time to some office stuff but bad for ADV
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
Think now a good time to say that downloading is killing companies? >_> We are now down to 2 major companies and a bunch of minor ones... The future is here :/ Although, I have a feeling that it sounds like they may be pulling a Tokyopop if anything.

I wonder if I should still be waiting for that AIR and Utawarerumono think pack to come out still :/ Then again, maybe it does have to do with not selling enough single disks and waiting for people like to me to wait for the boxes...
Batman3777

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
You know what really got to me? The pictures of the filing cabinets with all the anime stickers on them. Crying or Very sad

This is really depressing. You can tell that so many of those people who used to work at those desks/computers really enjoyed what they did. I hope they all can find new positions relatively easily, ones they will enjoy just as much.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Is that a big 'ole Rosette place mat under the computer on the second to last picture on the first page?
afedakendragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Is that a big 'ole Rosette place mat under the computer on the second to last picture on the first page?

Looked like Rio from BurnUp to me.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Sad news.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
ATTN: Well off anime fans, please pay top dollar for furniture.

That is not sarcasm. I hope they get a lot of money for that stuff. Sad It sucks seeing this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mufurc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Think now a good time to say that downloading is killing companies? >_>

Downloading... maybe. Oversaturation and outdated business models - definitely.
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I wonder if I should still be waiting for that AIR and Utawarerumono think pack to come out still :/ Then again, maybe it does have to do with not selling enough single disks and waiting for people like to me to wait for the boxes...

You nailed it right there.

Now, more than ever, ADV needs the singles to sell. Yes, the cost of living(gas in particular) is up and so there's less disposable income, but so many people had that knee-jerk reaction to their licensing issue and stopped buying singles in lieu of a thinpak down the road, and it's killing the company.

People who can afford it, I implore you to, for now, stop waiting for thinpaks of series that haven't finished releasing in singles, and buy those singles. Give a helping hand to a company that has brought us so many great show over the years. ADV isn't closing yet. They're battening down the hatches to weather the storm. All of us fans who can spare a little extra should throw them a lifeline. The anime industry as a whole will be better for it in the long run.
vincent iii

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

You nailed it right there.

Now, more than ever, ADV needs the singles to sell. Yes, the cost of living(gas in particular) is up and so there's less disposable income, but so many people had that knee-jerk reaction to their licensing issue and stopped buying singles in lieu of a thinpak down the road, and it's killing the company.

People who can afford it, I implore you to, for now, stop waiting for thinpaks of series that haven't finished releasing in singles, and buy those singles. Give a helping hand to a company that has brought us so many great show over the years. ADV isn't closing yet. They're battening down the hatches to weather the storm. All of us fans who can spare a little extra should throw them a lifeline. The anime industry as a whole will be better for it in the long run.

I don't think it makes really any sense for the consumer to have to buy the single packs, unless the series is currently airing and they can't release a boxset at the time being. Every other TV show and series gets released only through boxsets, so why does Anime have to be the odd one out. A few companies are actually changing their plans with distribution, like Bandai with TTGL and companies starting to put shows online. Telling companies that its ok to stay in the older business model, instead of telling them that the newer one is better, probably does more harm than good in the long run, imo.

Plus I don't think that this is a sign ADV is dead. They just had two magazines tank this year, it could be those departments that are getting sold off.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Sorry but I gave up on singles a long time about. I got burnt way far too many times starting to buy a series only to have it yanked before it was finished - or even to only have the very first DVD in a series made, and nothing else. I will wait for the thinpack or complete box sets to come out and buy those. Then at least at the very worst, if I really want a series, I can buy the original full sets from Japan.
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
People who can afford it, I implore you to, for now, stop waiting for thinpaks of series that haven't finished releasing in singles, and buy those singles.

How many of them do you suppose there really are?

If I count, then no.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
mufurc
Quote:
Downloading... maybe. Oversaturation and outdated business models - definitely

I don't know if I'd lay every problem at the foot of internet downloading either, but in what ways do you think ADV's/NA licensor's business model is 'outdated'? There are some points to be made in that, but 90% of the time that folks talk about 'Oh, 'Company X' runs an outdated business model that can't compete', what they use for comparison is the speed and ease of use of....internet downloads. When you can point to another company that's *commercially* offering the same product and doing much better, they probably have a better business model. When the comparison is non-commercial internet fansubs, I don't know if the business model, in the traditional sense, is the main problem.

There may also be a point about tossing to many niche, faddish titles out there to see what sticks, but at the same time fansubs are 'saturated' with almost any show that's ever come out (and in many cases the same show from different groups), and large numbers of fans don't seem to be burning out on fansubs anytime soon.

None of that's to deny the way of doing NA business has to adapt, but it's a tough road looking to profitably import very niche entertainment from licensee's that are less than proactive in protecting mutual interests, and exponentially more so when everything in your product catalog is on the internet for free. Simply saying 'well, they have an outdated business model' seems to be giving a short-shrift to the bigger picture companies like ADV face.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
.... so can we say ADV's in trouble now?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
It's official, my sympathy for "fansub only, never buy/rent" people just went from tiny to completely gone. It was already extremely low after Geneon died, but now, it's gone altogether. Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8