• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shamo Manga Artist Sues Creator for 150 Million Yen

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiriska

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
Why in the world did he wait so long to sue? o_o
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit curious about this myself. So from what I understand things, the manga was supposedly a partnership of sorts, with Tanaka doing the artwork, and Hashimoto doing the original story. But now Tanaka says he is the actual story creator...

So... why exactly did things go on for 10 years like that? How exactly would a situation like that come about?
TJM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
Typical with mangaka partners, thing were going well for some years, and suddenly one of the two did something that the other didn't like so now the suing begins.
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:58 am Reply with quote
TJM wrote:
Typical with mangaka partners, thing were going well for some years, and suddenly one of the two did something that the other didn't like so now the suing begins.

Actually, the original Japanese article points out that mangaka suing each other are not typical, and says these kinds of lawsuits are rare in Japan. That's why this is news.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:33 am Reply with quote
If I were him, I'd be more concerned about being able to find a career with other manga publications, given the situation with that looney in Akihabara and all...
strahl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:56 am Reply with quote
as being very close to the manga and their issues, I can explain.

the manga is edgy and really good, through the last five volumes we find ourselves in a very complicated tournament with epic characters fighting out each other, shady organizations and the main anti-hero having the encounter of his life with someone that is close to a messiah that absorb every technique and pain received and turn everybody around him to his side.

the story is so original and fresh that Japan can't have enough of Shamo (a "berserk" title of some sorts)
At first the partnership had issues on the magazine that was published, then they got different offers from other magazines until Kodansha in the hit magazine "Evening" took the new story and they would publish 5 new volumes from the original creators, but Izo hashimoto and Akio Tanaka due to differences started working separately in different manga titles and they halted mysteriously the volume on VOL 25, they announced Vol 26 for 2007 but nobody knew what was going on, until the Movie came out and everybody took their share of the movie royalties, now that the cash was divided on both sides, Japanese people wants more and partnerships once again are broken because they want a bigger piece of cake, maybe on creative differences of sorts, but as I see it, SHAMO is a seller hit no matter what, and Izo probably had some imput on the latest (and most interesting arc) of the manga and now that they broke up, he wants his piece of the cake before the manga resumes again.

And the fans of SHAMO are still waiting for the rest of the story to come up, so Volume 26-27 and possible sequels of the movie are up for grabs once there's one owner of the title.

Is sad to see this partnership go, but as I see it, they will have to reach a monetary agreement quick, otherwise they will be losing money just like the parnership of Candy Candy....a huge money maker that is stuck out of pride in the hands of both the creators of its success, The manga author that doesn't let the artist use his story and characters to market products, and the manga artist doesn't let the author use the original character designs (resembled or copies "a-la-weiss kreuss") because she has the character desing rights, so the story author can't use drawings or desings that resemble the drawings that made the series popular on the first place...

My gosh..thank god that my favorite titles are done by single authors...the day that CLAMP break out will be a B**ch day for everyone...and they haven't finished X/1999

Akio, just pay up and continue the story, we the fans will pay that million bucks for you, just continue the story!!!
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
Years ago, there was a similar thing with the shoujo series Candy Candy (which had a mid 70s anime adaptation by Toei Animation).
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
Umm, yeah. Like this is going to go through for him. He's waited over ten years and over twenty volumes before finally saying that he's the one who created it? Give me a break Rolling Eyes
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:38 am Reply with quote
Anime News Network wrote:
Shamo is a violent crime manga that began in Kodansha's Manga Action magazine....

Well, excuse me, but the ANN editor who wrote the article doesn't know the publishing company of the magazine, which carried/carries Lupin III, Kozure Ōkami (Lone Wolf and Cub), Jarinko Chie, Jūkyōden, Crayon Shinchan, 009ノ1, Kamakura Monogatari, Hakattako Junjō, Katteni Shirokuma, Kibun wa mō Sensō, Ā!! Hana no Ōendan, Kariagekun, Joshikōsei, Gokudōmeshi, Bar Lemon Hart, etc.? He/she has not read those manga in the original/earlier editions?
Actually Manga Action is published by Futabasha.

As Ishinomori Shōtarō said, Manga Action was a magazine which was important for the development of manga for older readers.
Ishinomori Shōtarō wrote:
それでは、と目敏い出版社は考えた。彼ら彼女ら、マンガ離れの出来ないマンガ世代オトナたちに、ぴったりフィットするマンガ雑誌を創ろうじゃないか。マンガが子どものモノという時代は、もう終わっているのだ。"作家"探しが始まった。子どもマンガにしては大人っぽい作品を描いている者、ちょっと工夫すれば『大人マンガ』が描けそうな者……。探してみると意外に少ない。送り手が受け手より遅れているのだ。
二十数年前。『ビッグコミック』が創刊した。『漫画アクション』が『プレイコミック』が、と続いた。三誌とも依頼がきて――引き受けた。なにしろまだ、描き手が不足の時代だった。

As to the publishing company in question, even the Sankei article, which Anime News Network mentioned as the source, clearly says, '双葉社 [Futabasha]' in the first place.
Sankei wrote:
平成10年に「漫画アクション」(双葉社)で連載が始まり

testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:09 am Reply with quote
tenkado-shujin wrote:
Hakattako Junjō, Katteni Shirokuma, Kibun wa mō Sensō, Ā!! Hana no Ōendan

Well, excuse me, but tenkado-shujin doesn't know that it's Hakatakko Junjō, not Hakattako Junjō? He/she has not read this manga in the original/earlier edition? As the Japanese title clearly says:

Quote:
博多っ子純情

Wink A person shouldn't act holier-than-thou to someone else over a mistake, if that same person himself/herself makes a mistake in that very criticism.
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:50 am Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
tenkado-shujin wrote:
Hakattako Junjō, Katteni Shirokuma, Kibun wa mō Sensō, Ā!! Hana no Ōendan

Well, excuse me, but tenkado-shujin doesn't know that it's Hakatakko Junjō, not Hakattako Junjō? He/she has not read this manga in the original/earlier edition? As the Japanese title clearly says:

Quote:
博多っ子純情

Wink A person shouldn't act holier-than-thou to someone else over a mistake, if that same person himself/herself makes a mistake in that very criticism.

My bad, it's a typo. Reading the manga in the original didn't require me to think about the title in rōmaji.
I think a professional editor-writer on manga having mistaken Kōdansha for the publishing company of Manga Action in a news article is not just a typo, however.

testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
Ease up on the attitude. A mistake is a mistake. Correct, but move on. Smile
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
Ease up on the attitude. A mistake is a mistake. Correct, but move on. Smile

( ´_ゝ`)フーン

fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
tenkado-shujin wrote:
( ´_ゝ`)フーン

You know, you don't have to make a big deal about it. Just point it out, they'll fix it, and we all get to move on in life.
Gligor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote
First time i have red this manga few years ago and last month i started reading it again? Now i have again came to the part where they stopped publishing it...

I know it has been 2 or 3 years since this lawsuit has happened but does anyone have some news about it? I couldn't find anything.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2