• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Liyin Liang, Anime Expo Convention Chairperson

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't help but find it odd that the chairperson of the ANIME expo appears to be most excited about the premiere of a event that seems to be more suited for a venue like Comic Con instead. Nothing against Batman of course, but that just gave me pause. I mean, where's the connection to the japanese anime industry? I guess I would've just felt better if she was more excited about something actually relating to the point of the expo, you know?

Or maybe I'm just being nitpicky....
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Batman's coming out next week on dvd. Shouldn't they be touting the Eva You Are Not Alone movie? Or did they suddenly only get a raw copy of it?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quote
BTW, if they really wanna improve their con, it'd be nice if they didn't wait until the last minute to announce their last guest.
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So as I said, it's a business decision for those companies that choose Comic-Con. I hope they'll realize once they've exhibited there that when it comes to appealing to the fans that Anime Expo, in my opinion, is still the better choice because we have that specialized demographic.

Whoa... bold words, my comrade. Comic-Con is lightyears ahead of AX, in my opinion and it has all types of media because it can. Comic-Con is more organized and already has a huge attendance, which is a plus and minus, but I wouldn't say AX is a better choice... yet. There are still a lot of hurdles AX has to take on as well as ideas to implement. I absolutely LOVE bringing the concerts to the Expo, kinda like how PMX does it in November, at their show, just larger. My problem, though, is your choices for headline acts. Shokotan is great, but you set her up for a hard act to follow with your previous year having S.K.I.N., Anna Tsuchiya, and Oreskaband. I think that you really should have tried to get Olivia, NoiZ, or some other act that has a large stage presence. Opening acts would have been great as well. California has a lot of JRock bands that would be awesome on stage.
But it's still too early to judge this convention right now. I will give more suggestions after Sunday!
Thinkersblock07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
I couldn't help but find it odd that the chairperson of the ANIME expo appears to be most excited about the premiere of a event that seems to be more suited for a venue like Comic Con instead. Nothing against Batman of course, but that just gave me pause. I mean, where's the connection to the japanese anime industry? I guess I would've just felt better if she was more excited about something actually relating to the point of the expo, you know?

I totally agree, but I suppose they are also trying to get Comic Con-ers to also go to AX. And unlike last year, I don't think anything else big is really happening.

As a six year Veteran, I'm also very disappointed that they have no plans to go back to Anaheim. For me personally, I consider it the home of AX. Location is important to the fans and most of the people I know who go all four days have now settled to one or two days and others aren't even going. It's really too bad. It can't be helped though...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:

Er.. you are aware that Gotham Knight is a collection of anime short films about Batman by famous Japanese directors, right?
DrSlump

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
There is an error in the article. The Gotham Knight showing is on Saturday, *not Sunday*.

razberry_yum wrote:
Nothing against Batman of course, but that just gave me pause. I mean, where's the connection to the japanese anime industry?

Gotham Knight is drawn by various well known Japanese animation studios such as Production IG. Think Animatrix but with Batman instead.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
That was not immediately apparent to me, obviously, but I stand corrected. Naturally, I heard Batman and assumed...well, what people usually assume about Batman I guess, and my very quick search on Gotham Knight on Yahoo movies prior to my post didn't immediately disprove my initial assumption. Anyway, foot, welcome to my mouth.

But..but just to be stubborn, haha, I do agree with Gatsu, I mean, there's just something RIGHT about hearing "I am most excited about Evangelion the movie at Anime Expo" than "I am most excited about Batman at Anime Expo", know what I mean? I was just thrown for a second there.

[quote="Zac

Er.. you are aware that Gotham Knight is a collection of anime short films about Batman by famous Japanese directors, right?[/quote]
testorschoice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Batman's coming out next week on dvd. Shouldn't they be touting the Eva You Are Not Alone movie?

It looks like it wasn't "they" that was touting Batman, but what the current AX chair herself is "personally most excited about." It sounds like she wasn't speaking for all of AX. AX and Otakon staffers were in Japan for Tokyo Anime Fair this year and maybe earlier last year--the AX chair may have already seen the Eva movie. Smile
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You've hired an outside company to do your registration; should fans expect shorter wait times? What other convention services have been assigned to outside companies?

Well, this year we have a full-service registration system using new technology where attendees can just print out the bar code from their confirmation e-mail, scan it using one of the machines we have set up, and it'll spit out their badge. Then they can move on and collect the rest of their stuff and head in to the con. We're hoping this reduces wait times significantly; pre-registered attendees can just use the machines, and we have 100+ at-con registration terminals this year, more than twice as many as we had last year.

Why...do I have a very very bad feeling about this? Confused
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
DrSlump wrote:
There is an error in the article. The Gotham Knight showing is on Saturday, *not Sunday*.

Thanks, fixed.
Vapors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Quote:
You've hired an outside company to do your registration; should fans expect shorter wait times? What other convention services have been assigned to outside companies?

Well, this year we have a full-service registration system using new technology where attendees can just print out the bar code from their confirmation e-mail, scan it using one of the machines we have set up, and it'll spit out their badge. Then they can move on and collect the rest of their stuff and head in to the con. We're hoping this reduces wait times significantly; pre-registered attendees can just use the machines, and we have 100+ at-con registration terminals this year, more than twice as many as we had last year.

This sounds like what they do at San Diego Comic-Con. They can do this pretty quickly so I don't see why it would not work here. The only problems that could arise are if a ton of people do not print out their confirmation emails with bar codes (forcing registration to manually search through and confirm each con attendee's identity) or if the entire computer system crashed. I should try to come to this one year.
Vekou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Last year's AX line was nightmarish. I got sunburned to hell and back, and it turns out that they had screwed up and combined the pre-registered and non-registered lines. I was pre-registered, so I had been standing in line getting sunburned completely unnecessarily. They apologized profusely once I finally reached the counter, but that kind of incompetence is inexcusable.

Then I stood in line for the SKIN concert, which was delayed over an hour, and I got even more sunburned. I didn't even get to the exhibit hall on the first day. As soon as I got out of the registration line I just went straight to the line for SKIN. By the time that ended, the hall was already closed.

The next day I had to seek out the first aid office because my face was had blisters on it that were starting to weep. They had to put ointment on my nose and I looked like some kind of ridiculous tourist with a horrible skin problem. I bought an Urahara hat on the con floor and kept my head down the rest of the time. I don't go to AX to meet people or anything, but I looked pretty frightening.

In spite of all this bullshit, I had an okay time. I'm not going this year, though. LA is too far to drive, the convention center is in a bad part of town, and there are no guests or concerts I really want to see. I'm disappointed that AX management doesn't think they'll be coming back to Anaheim. Even Long Beach would be preferable to LA...
DFBTG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
razberry_yum wrote:

Er.. you are aware that Gotham Knight is a collection of anime short films about Batman by famous Japanese directors, right?

In all fairness, assuming I'm understanding the IGN article correctly (http://dvd.ign.com/articles/885/885146p1.html), the writing behind it was done by American authors (so-to-speak).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Quote:

It shouldn't be too bad, as long as the system doesn't get attacked by hackers on steroids and cause 9+ hour registration waits. Just a theoretical example of course, I'm sure it hasn't happened anywhere...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2