• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha to Publish, Sell Manga in U.S. in September

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
Hopefully, they'll be better off than Raijin. And, of course, everyone is hoping they'll bring back Sailor Moon.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote
So the rumors were true after all.

Quote:
Kodansha intends to transfer its copyrights to this local subsidiary to enter the overseas publishing industry directly.

.... and does this mean the part about them yanking the licenses for currently running titles from others (like Del Rey) is as well? That sounds monumentally stupid but I'm not sure how else to interpret this.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how this will affect TP and Del, my guess is Del will hold on to the titles they have worked with, while TP will lose out on theirs.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Quote:
Kodansha intends to transfer its copyrights to this local subsidiary to enter the overseas publishing industry directly.

.... and does this mean the part about them yanking the licenses for currently running titles from others (like Del Rey) is as well? That sounds monumentally stupid but I'm not sure how else to interpret this.

No, those are already legally Del Rey's. It means that all future titles will directly go to the new company.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
biolizard_alpha wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Quote:

No, those are already legally Del Rey's. It means that all future titles will directly go to the new company.

Depends how the license contract was worded, and licenses do expire, but i think that they might like Del keep getting new titles, since Kodansha has such a backlog of titles in Japan they can make more money faster even with having to share with Del, if both are publishing at the same time.

-G
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh snap, this could potentially be awesome.

But that's potentially. Personally, I really hope this means less extreme localization in manga adaption and lower prices without the use of a middleman. Actually, you know, I doubt that either will happen, but I'm hoping on to an ounce of hope +_+.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
biolizard_alpha wrote:

On further reflection, yes, that's probably what it means (though that's still probably bad news for Del Rey). For some reason, I was thinking that the transferring of copyrights meant the removal of licenses from other companies. However, I believe companies license manga by the volume so Kodansha could, if they wanted to, simply not license any more volumes out and continue from there. And who knows what kind of cancellation clauses might be in the contracts that might allow Kodansha to pull out just because they want to.
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Comic212 wrote:
I can also confirm that Dark Horse no longer has the license for AKIRA (licensed from Kodansha) and that Tokyopop has canceled Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad volumes 13 and 14, and this is a Kodansha-licensed title as well, so it looks like they might have lost that license.
MageofFire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:41 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
biolizard_alpha wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Quote:

i
Depends how the license contract was worded, and licenses do expire, but i think that they might like Del keep getting new titles, since Kodansha has such a backlog of titles in Japan they can make more money faster even with having to share with Del, if both are publishing at the same time.

I saw that rumor too and was wondering the same thing. It would make sense that they'd go by the contract. I think it's cool that Kodansha is doing this but I only have 2 series by them in my collection by them so it's not a big deal.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
However, I believe companies license manga by the volume so Kodansha could, if they wanted to, simply not license any more volumes out and continue from there. And who knows what kind of cancellation clauses might be in the contracts that might allow Kodansha to pull out just because they want to.

I think that's really bad business practice. Del Rey is part of a huge company and I don't think Kodansha wants to tread on too many toes, considering them just entering the playing field. Though I do wonder where Del Rey is gonna get their licenses from now though...
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Monsieur: Your confirmation was wrong, as the AOD forum-users noted that DH is re-releasing the manga to coincide with the movie.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I have a bad feeling about this. Remember what happened the last time a Japanese company set up shop in a U.S. market?

Overpriced, under-translated titles. I'm talking, of course, about Bandai Visual USA. And Shogakukan, a.k.a ShoPro? Before the merger with the already-established Viz, they were turning out "gems" like "Megaman NT Warrior". >_<#

I just hope that they bother to set their prices a bit closer to the Japanese market in this case (wouldn't five-dollar manga be awesome?) and that they also bother to hire people who respect the English language (unlike the monkeys at Tokyopop, and idiot weeaboo at Dark Horse who they assigned Trigun to).
Jih2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
More good news, I'm glad someone's trying an initiative which could of course fail but hey, at least money's going into this and it's freakin Kodansha!
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they'll release more Seinen/Josei works. Too much shonen/shojo crap on bookstores right now.
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
2 million eh? I hope they can manage that well because that can be used up very quickly. Logistics such as overhead for building, publishing, employees, etc, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5