• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2008 - Aniplex Industry Panel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Bandai Entertainment said that it chose to use the Greek/French pronunciation of the main character's name "Simon" (with the short "i" vowel), as opposed to the English pronunciation (with the long "i" vowel), to better reflect the Japanese pronunciation.

Forgive me if I am reading this wrong, but does that mean it will be pronounced "seamon/semen"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jih2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Quote:
Bandai Entertainment said that it chose to use the Greek/French pronunciation of the main character's name "Simon" (with the short "i" vowel), as opposed to the English pronunciation (with the long "i" vowel), to better reflect the Japanese pronunciation.

Forgive me if I am reading this wrong, but does that mean it will be pronounced "seamon/semen"?

That's what I interpreted it to mean as well.

I would actually really hope for a Blu-Ray release of Gurren Lagann if that's possible, I feel like the R1 industry has almost no TV series in Blu-Ray whereas the Japanese have a few.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Quote:

No, it means it will be pronounced "sihmon" (as opposed to "symon" as it would be in English).

In other words, it's a short "i" (as in "it") rather than a long "i" (as in "white").
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
What about the "o" in "Simon", though? Will that be a long "o" or a "ə" (schwa)?

Also,

Quote:
Bandai Entertainment is considering Blu-ray Disc plans for Gurren Lagann and other series.

Good. I've actually been holding off on buying the DVDs of any show that's either already on Blu-ray in Japan, was/is produced in HD, or seems like it was produced in HD. Moar HD please.
Anath_19

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
What about the "o" in "Simon", though? Will that be a long "o" or a "ə" (schwa)?

It will be a long "o."
Chibitoon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Which Parallel Works video did they show? Was it the one for next week?
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Anath_19 wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

It will be a long "o."

Cool. Now, will the first or second syllable be stressed?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1