• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2008 - Funimation Entertainment

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Did they mention if DBGT will be remastered in WideScreen?

Do they have any TV plans for D.Gray-man?

Aswell, any mention of a DragonBall boxset, or them getting the first 13 episodes of the original series?
melonbread

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
And what about the rest of it? o_O
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping for more One Piece news. Not surprised about the lack of D. Gray-man news though, since it'll be a '09 release.
Hi-Chan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I am very happy to hear they are going to continue with singles of the Geneon titles they acquired.Now i will be able to finish When They Cry;without having to buy the first three discs again in a collection.

Does anyone know if they are going to charge the usual Funi prices for these titles or the old Geneon price.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Did they mention if DBGT will be remastered in WideScreen?

Do they have any TV plans for D.Gray-man?

Aswell, any mention of a DragonBall boxset, or them getting the first 13 episodes of the original series?
I'm tired of this 13 episode nonsense. I need the first 40 episodes of Dragonball, and I'm not paying some moron 200 dollars on Amazon for it. Since Funi is the big company in the game right now, they should call Toei and ask them to rescind the LionsGate license.

I think GT will be widescreen, although there is no point in doing that.

Hi-Chan wrote:
I am very happy to hear they are going to continue with singles of the Geneon titles they acquired.Now i will be able to finish When They Cry;without having to buy the first three discs again in a collection.

Does anyone know if they are going to charge the usual Funi prices for these titles or the old Geneon price.
I hope the new super cheap Funi prices. Geneon may have been high quality, but their prices were a little too high.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Daimao- I don't think Toei can destory the license, you have to remember, it was FUNimation who gave Kidmark the license, after FUNimation became the master licensor(in North America) for the franchise in the 90's. So it wouldn't be Toei's to revoke, but rather FUNimations? Oh gawd, my brain hurts because if that is true, it makes no logical sense at all.

FUNimation said something about consistancy towards the prices of Geneon's stuff. But consistancy with what? Their company's price models, or Geneon's? Then FUNi mentioned how boxsets of these series will be FUNimation priced. Again, a bit confusing.
Clodus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Darn I was hopin to hear some news about claymore being released later this year but I guess its too early.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polly E.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much everything we already knew.

Knowing Geneon titles will pick up where the singles left off is good. Those Rozen Maiden and Higurashi boxes won't go hungry at least. I'm as confused on the pricing stuff as everyone else though. Hopefully they'll elaborate a bit more on this in a few days when things calm down.

Was also hoping for more Hell Girl news, but since the first season just wrapped, it may be too early to be hoping for that.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Daimao- I don't think Toei can destory the license, you have to remember, it was FUNimation who gave Kidmark the license, after FUNimation became the master licensor(in North America) for the franchise in the 90's. So it wouldn't be Toei's to revoke, but rather FUNimations? Oh gawd, my brain hurts because if that is true, it makes no logical sense at all.

FUNimation said something about consistancy towards the prices of Geneon's stuff. But consistancy with what? Their company's price models, or Geneon's? Then FUNi mentioned how boxsets of these series will be FUNimation priced. Again, a bit confusing.
True, but everything goes back to Toei. They own the copyrights to Dragonball, so no matter what Funi did they can still overide it. If Sojitz can take licenses from ADV and give it to Funi, I would think Toei could do the same being as the own the original copyright. Can we get a legal person in here to sort this mess out?

I think Funi means they will be pricing boxsets according to how they do them now. For those that have been living under a rock for 2 years, Funi has really low boxsets for their recent re-releases. I think 50 dollars is the highest MSRP for a re-release. So expect cheap boxsets folks...and for Funi to get even richer.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Re: Dragonball-

Honest to god, find a TV that supports PAL, aswell as an all region DVD player, and just import the boxsets from Australia. Sure, theyre not the best looking things, but neither were FUNimations DVDs, so just deal with it.

First 13 episodes, stateside, uncut, is basically never ever going to happen, because as soon as they DO get the first 13 episodes theyre going to rebrand/revitalise the property so youre probably going to have to buy the same shit all over again.

So just yeah whatever who cares
mmangelly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball is what I care about the most in the franchise. Why doesn't FUNimation ever talk about that? The stupid fiasco with the first 13 episodes drives me nuts.
Anath_19

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Viewers will be able to buy either Gunslinger Girl or MoonPhase episode packages for $4.99 a month. With either package, the first season of Galaxy Railways will be included for free.

Perhaps they mean the first episode? I really don't see why they'd give a 26-episode series (or 13, if they consider all 26 episodes to be two seasons) for free with a $5 package.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
Daimao: Toei's never going to pull DB from FUNimation, because: 1) The show makes too much money, 2) The former company can't manufacture an R1 DVD worth a damn, and 3) They couldn't negotiate with another distributor with as much integrity to save their lives. They have sold stuff like Xenosaga to other companies, but they're not going to let their bread and butter titles be mismanaged again.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
Clodus wrote:
Darn I was hopin to hear some news about claymore being released later this year but I guess its too early.

On their website a while ago, it said Fall, I think it was September but can't be sure, that was quite a while ago though.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:33 am Reply with quote
I was hoping to hear something about Kodocha. They've only dubbed Season 1, and have said nothing about doing the second season. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2