• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Best of the Rescues

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:13 am Reply with quote
Between the FUNi/Geneon distro deal and the conclusion of the ADV/Sojitz soap opera, it was certainly a very exciting time for anime fans.

Higurashi is a series I'm most looking forward to completing (along with Karin and Rozen Maiden as they were the three series I was collecting before the shutdown). I'm not much of a horror fan, but I have to agree the the series is nothing short of amazing with all of its twists and turns. Plus the character reset format is well-executed.

I also second the recommendation for Paradise kiss. Another great Madhouse series that deserves a second chance.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quote
Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more on Higurashi. While the game and premise are promising, and I love the reset idea, the execution of the first few arcs of the anime was so horrendously bad, that I found it hard to care about what was happening. I hear even the original creators didn't like how it was handled.

Especially the first arc. Since the world had yet to be established, Keiichi's on again, off again paranoia (which isn't even clear if that's what it was) didn't work at all, as one doesn't know if it's in character or not. It's not even consistent. One second, he's all buddy buddy, the next, he fears for his life. So it even ignores what little setup there was. No motives seemed to exist for anything happening. The concept of supernatural element was also poorly applied. Nothing in the arc even suggests such things.

As such, the arc does a horrible job of setting the show up, building the suspension of disbelief or realism, and makes it hard to like the characters. How can one fear for characters they don't even know, acting in ways that appear to make no sense? How could I care why x is killing herself when I don't care about her? It made the creepy moments unintentionally funny to me. Especially Rena's psycho moment in the first arc, and the creepy faces that just looked awful. Instead of being disturbed, like I was meant to be, I was laughing with her at the bad execution and total lack of tension or atmosphere. Though I agree that the voice acting greatly helped. I'm a big fan of Satsuki Yukino.

It's like they were relaying on "creepy moments" instead of trying to build something genuinely spooky. The dark openings pique a little interest, but most just keep any tone from being set. It's hard to get wrapped up in a world when it's shaken seconds in. Instead of getting involved, you're just wondering what the deal is. How this is considered well crafted atmosphere is beyond me. I'd never been so jarred out of show so early, thereby making it anything but scary.

The second arc was better, as it was much more coherent. Though not without it's nonsense moments. It actually builds and is much better structured. Having already known about the dark openings, it wasn't as jarring, so I could actually get interested in what was happening. If it had been first, I might have liked the show more. I stopped watching in hope that the stigma caused by the first arc would wear off.

Hearing that Kai reincorporated things left out, I gave it a try, as the show's near episodic nature doesn't really dictate sequential viewing (I've taken flak for this elsewhere, but it still works, as Kai assumes some watching might have missed season 1). The little I watched does explain some things, and fixes some problems I had with the first arc.spoiler[Knowing that they're supposed to be acting irrationally helps accepting it a lot easier.]

I've been meaning to finish it, now that Kai's fixed some things. I don't like to judge after seeing little, which is way I stuck with it ti the second arc. I hear the third's the deal maker/breaker. Though I think I'd like the game or mangas a lot more. It's sort of like Hellsing with me. I hated the TV series, but the manga and OAV aren't bad due to much better storytelling.

Higurashi is a great premise with some good characters, and nice music. It gets better with time, and strikes me as the type of show that's much better the second time through for those that didn't fall for it's quick, gimmicky attempt at being creepy. It's shoddy execution though makes it far from amazing, in my opinion. It's okay.

Fate/Stay night is a pretty decent adaptation, on what little I've played of the game. It's not as indepth as the game, but still amusing. My big complaint was the handling of one character at the end.

Black Lagoon is a great title. While it's true that it's mostly a fun show, I thought Rock was well executed. The overall story is essentially about him adjusting to his new place in the world. his relationship with Revy is also nicely believable, and not too overboard.

Whether I like the shows or not, it's great that they've been salvaged for does that do. My friend's a big Higurashi fan. <ostly because he finds it "different". He's the reason I watched it in the first place.

Nice article, as usual, even if we somewhat disagree. Glad you like it, but it's still growing on me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
billyarnie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course, if you're looking for some good, solid action, there's always Black Lagoon. This show is made of badass. This show is like the summer blockbuster of anime. It's pretty much a universal rule that if you have girls with guns, rocket launchers, and torpedoes, no matter what happens, you have at least a 60% chance of having fun.

Still, the decision of whether or not to watch this is simple: do you like guns? Do you like action? Do you like girls in short shorts shooting guns and promoting action? If so, then you'll probably have good time with this bullet-ridden adventure.

It made sense for [adult swim] to get this show. Guns, explosions & bleeping out Revy's profane outbursts guaranteed a TV-MA. However, yet another one they passed on & Starz got the TV rights. It's already been on Starz Edge & Starz probably still has the rights. Maybe Encore Action will be next.

Hmm... busty women barely covering themselves & attracted to weapons. Well, since [adult swim] passed on Witchblade, why should they pick up Black Lagoon?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Rednal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:52 am Reply with quote
Don't write Shirou off as JUST a superhero wannabe yet. ~.^ I admit, the game's better, but there's a reason why Fate/Stay Night sold extremely well in Japan. I own the entire series, and it definitely gets... interesting... once the Holy Grail War really gets going. The show isn't a must-see, but even for those who don't want to buy it, I agree that you should at least watch it sometime.
minuet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
I'm glad these shows were rescued from the dust bin. I'm a fan of several of them. I want to add a comment on Shonen Onmyoji. While it looks like a monster-of-the-week series at first, the anime develops several story-arcs culminating in an emotion-filled conclusion. Warning: if you are the least bit soft-hearted, that final episode will definitely make you cry.
Celes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
Paradise Kiss is amazing. One of the most thoughtful, gorgeous coming-of-age stories out there. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. The manga is great too! I read the manga first so it was really cool to see how George was animated and what he sounded like...he's so charismatic *_*
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:58 am Reply with quote
I am so excited about Saiunkoku being rescued, it was a series that sounded really interesting, but after Geneon imploded it didn't sound like there were many prospects for it. I definitely will plan to check it out now though.

I also will jump on the Paradise Kiss bandwagon, it's a great show. Though as far as Ai Yazawa goes, I think NANA is better (still waiting for Viz to get that one out on DVD though).
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:07 am Reply with quote
I am REALLY happy with Shounen Onmyouji being saved! When will the DVDs come out? I'd snatch'em in less than a second!

SHOUNEN ONMYOUJI HERE I COME!!! Yay for more Masahiro awesomeness~! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I am REALLY happy with Shounen Onmyouji being saved! When will the DVDs come out? I'd snatch'em in less than a second!

FUNi mentioned that they plan on releasing the suspended Geneon volumes starting in late August, though I don't know exactly what the schedule is. I heard that they were going to make an announcement about it today.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
Late August!? Allelujah!...WAIT! I'll be going to Otakon on August 9th! Whee!
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
I'll be first in line to get the Higurashi DVDs.

It's one of my favorite series.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
I'll be the first in line for the Shounen Onmyouji DVDs! I'll snatch them all in less than a second! I did get volumes 1-2 before Geneon shut down. It's my #1 favorite series and I'll never hate it! It's so cute and funny! Awesome too! Very Happy
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote
All in all, the Funi announcements are both wonderful and nerve-wracking to me. Wonderful becuase now, every single Geneon and ADV title I had caught in mid-release is now a Funi title and should see release. Nerve-wracking for the paranoia that they took on too much and might not get everything out. *shrugs*

In any case, I'll be very happy to fill my Higurashi/Karin/Shonen Onmyouji up with the rest of said series, instead of the random selection from my single DVDs (better make sure I still have room for those 10 discs to back with the other singles). And I'll definitely grab Saiunkoku, which I wanted before but passed on- first for the funky artbox, then for the cancelled release.
EdoRocksMySocks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:58 am Reply with quote
Well, Ms. Bamboo has definitely gotten me interested in The Story of Saiunkoku. I was going to buy the first DVDs released by Geneon, but when they died off, I was afraid it wasn't going to be continued on. So...I didn't. Now that I can, and even Shelf Life approves of its awesomeness, it shall be on my shelf, providing I have enough money with all the other series that are going to be coming out around the same time. D: Stupid low-paying job.

I've heard mixed feelings about Higurashi: When They Cry, so I'll wait on that title. Paradise Kiss is something I've been interested in and my friend has been bugging me for a long time to watch it. <.<;

Fate/stay Night is something I probably won't buy, but I'll rent it from Netflix to at least watch it and put some money into the ever growing FUNimation budget.

And lastly, I feel almost obligated to watch Shonen Onmyoji since it's made for the Naruto/Bleach crowd. I've been a fan of Naruto since the beginning and Shonen Onmyoji seems right up my alley. ^^

I don't know if Ms. Bamboo reads these forum replies, but I wonder if she'll do a Shelf Life on series that haven't been released in America yet, but were licensed by Geneon. Titles that were in limbo like Zero no Tsukaima, just so we can know what to buy and what not to. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
animemaniac14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
wheree are the pics of collections this time round?

Fate/Stay nite is still in my collection for me to watch...perhaps I'll give it a try since it still sells pretty well on ebay and if i don't like it I'll just sell it off Very Happy poor geneon...still sad about their demise...hopefully Funi does right in reviving all the titles previously held by the almighty geneon!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5