• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's First Releases from Geneon Deal Scheduled

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CakeStealer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
Awesome news! I'll look foward to recollecting these series.
Thanks again Funimation! =)
DRWii

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quote
Wow, that was fast. I guess I won't have to wait long to find out what to re-purchase after all.
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote
I'm just going to pick up where I left off by purchasing volume 4, and beyond, of Higurashi. I don't plan on re-buying volumes 1 - 3. I just hope that volume 4 picks up exactly where volume 3 left off. I do also plan on collecting Hellsing Ultimate and both Black Lagoon seasons, as well.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote
I guess I was trying to wrap my brain on how some of those titles were going to work. If you have a volume or two of a given Geneon title and you want to complete it, you may have to do so through a whole series box. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Black Lagoon)

If that's what it takes to get that whole first season I suppose that's what you'll have to do.

Once the Funi discs start getting released, I'll be curious if there will be any difference in quality (in either direction) compared to their Geneon counterparts. I hope some of our technically astute posters out there will keep us informed.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
AWESOME! Except for the first week of releases, I have stuff to buy each week!
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote
To my understanding Shakugan no Shana had a very limited release of its DVD's. I wonder if they intend to release the volumes later or if the box is all we get. Either way I cant wait to pick it up!
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Once the Funi discs start getting released, I'll be curious if there will be any difference in quality (in either direction) compared to their Geneon counterparts. I hope some of our technically astute posters out there will keep us informed.

That's another aspect about this that I'm a little concerned about. But really, the main issue on my mind concerning these re-releases is continuity with the previous Geneon releases of the unfinished shows. Particularly, Higurashi and Hellsing Ultimate.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
Yay! Funimation for the win (FTW)!

Even though I spent months looking for Fate/Stay Night, I finally have all of them. For some reason, it took the longest to find Volume 3 and Volume 6+Clock. I was looking forward to Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage in the fall of 2007. Now I can look forward to it again this fall.

Ongaku_no_tenshi wrote:
I'm just going to pick up where I left off by purchasing volume 4, and beyond, of Higurashi. I don't plan on re-buying volumes 1 - 3. I just hope that volume 4 picks up exactly where volume 3 left off. I do also plan on collecting Hellsing Ultimate and both Black Lagoon seasons, as well.

Same here for the re-release of When They Cry - Higurashi. I already have Volumes 1+Box, 2, and 3. RightStuf has a listing for Volume 1+Box. I wonder if I should buy it or not.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
Awww! No Shounen Onmyouji? Waaah!
Dop.L

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
I would imagine where they're releasing a number of volumes simultaneously, as with the Hellsing and Higurashi releases, they're possibly releasing from the Geneon masters?
I would expect that Higurashi 4 as released by FUNi would follow on from vol 3 as released by Geneon.

I think they'd lose a tremendous amount of goodwill - goodwill coming directly from their rescue of these licences - if they made everyone repurchase the first half of their sets again.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote
any idea what their doing with rozen S2?

-G
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
lantis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Wow, that was fast. I guess I won't have to wait long to find out what to re-purchase after all.

All they had to do was replicate these items. It was well known that the artwork and DVD masters were already completed. Some of these may have even been replicated at the time of Geneon USA's exit from the market.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
Awesome (and very, very fast) news! Time to pre-order Black Lagoon: Second Barrage 1 & 2, Hellsing Ultimate 4, Karin 4, and When They Cry 4! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
Meh, it looks like I'm going to get rid of my older copies of Hellsing Ultimate and just get the newer ones from Funi. Wouldn't make sense to have it owned partially released by Geneon and then partially released by Funi. WHen it's owned by me it's got to be one or the other.
bci110

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
any idea what their doing with rozen S2?

-G

I think they're going to release them in singles and then a box set later on. Most likely October at the earliest is when we'll see them.

And of the list I'm getting Vol. #4 of both Karin and Higurashi as well as the first two volumes of Black Lagoon: Second Barrage. I'm still undecided about Fate/stay night.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4