• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Before Green Gables Prequel Animation to Anne Novels Green-Lit

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
It's sweet that Anne of Green Gables has such an international following.
rocklobster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Yep. Hope Disney licenses the Takahata version. I'd love to see that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I didn't even know there was a prequel to Anne. This...this is so exciting.
I totally got my boyfriend hooked on Anne, first through watching the anime around him, then I bought him a copy of the book. He's going to be so excited when I tell him about this.
Now, to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the impossible - a release of R1 DVDs of the original Anne anime. It is her 100th birthday after all.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
If Nippon TV does more World Masterpiece Theatre, this is where the series would be in.
ThatOneMan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote
Yes!! Next years WMT series is from also from a book I've read. I just wish all thoose series got a little more respect from the R1 market.....even fansubbers.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Didn't know that 'Anne of Green Gables' was so popular. I have sort of been interested in the series.

If things start going well for 'ImaginAsian', maybe they could consider distributing the first series.

See we need to see that stuff on TV again.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Anne is insanely popular in Japan, for various reasons that I don't remember right now, though the red hair has something to do with it. Plus the fact that she's just awesome.

She's so popular in Japan that all over Prince Edward Island you will find things that have instructions in English, French, and Japanese. Because that's what most people around can read.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Anne is insanely popular in Japan, for various reasons that I don't remember right now, though the red hair has something to do with it. Plus the fact that she's just awesome.

She's so popular in Japan that all over Prince Edward Island you will find things that have instructions in English, French, and Japanese. Because that's what most people around can read.

Wow. Y'know I think I might see if I can find some books on the series and give them a read. It's time to check out the classics that most overlook.

Hell, there was reference to 'Anne' in 'R.O.D' the TV series. Love that show BTW. Actually, that made me curious to read the series then. Hey if you can't find something good in the new stuff there's always the classics. Surprising no one here ever did a movie about it. But would this generation be interested?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
There's two quite well-known Canadian miniseries which were made quite a few years ago, that cover the story (more or less) up to Anne of Windy Poplars (and then has a horrible, more recently done third part that we like to pretend didn't happen). And there are at least two musicals.

There just haven't been any theatrical movies for a very long time.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
There's two quite well-known Canadian miniseries which were made quite a few years ago, that cover the story (more or less) up to Anne of Windy Poplars (and then has a horrible, more recently done third part that we like to pretend didn't happen). And there are at least two musicals.

There just haven't been any theatrical movies for a very long time.

Thanks for the info. Smile Funny, my supervisor just mentioned the programs you mentioned before your response. I'll look into it. I'm sure I can find something at one of the local libraries provided they have the material.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Have it directed by Isao Takahata again would be a dream come true, for me. I think it's pretty impossible, though. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
There was a celebration a month ago in Uxbridge (north of Toronto) in Lucy Maud Montgomery's town. ( http://home.powergate.ca/~stadamdesign/ ) I think there is more festivities.

http://www.town.uxbridge.on.ca/index.asp?pgid=78
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1