• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reel Anime 2008 Roundup

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmangohan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:42 am Reply with quote
Without a doubt, The Girl Who Leapt through Time was by far my favourite film of the four. It's not often a film really makes you feel for the cast like it does here. I don't think a single person in the cinema that afternoon left disappointed, quite the opposite. It really had some heart strung moments, and it showed them remarkably well. Never have I seen an audience go absolutely silent during a dramatic moment like they did for this film.
Maybe it had to do with how close everyone got to Makoto, but when spoiler[Kousuke and his girlfriend are heading down the hill with Makoto's broken bike and impending doom], I swear a penny drop would echo throughout the room.

Sadly, I don't think the film will have the same impact on home theater systems as it does on the big screen, but by gosh when the day comes that I can afford a system big enough to project a cinema sized image onto a wall and have massive cinema quality speakers, you bet I'll be having this film first in to try it out.

As for the rest of the films. Well Ex Machina was just as good, if not better than the first Appleseed 3d flick. I have no doubt it'll still impress years from now.
Vexille had a surprisingly decent plot for an action flick. I honestly didn't really like the animation as much as I should of, but I sometimes can be picky at things like that. Deffinately was dwarfed by Ex Machina, but holds its own well.
As for Batman, well my mini review pretty much summed it up. It had its moments (like the Animatrix), but on a whole it was underwhelming, and way too short. That's not to say Batman fans wont enjoy it though, and from what I've been reading around the place, it certainly seems the case.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a cinema scaled home system to begin saving for Razz
MichaMicha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:38 am Reply with quote
I'm planning to watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time tomorrow or sometime, but I haven't heard a single bad thing about it from anyone. ANYONE. So it sounds like I won't be disappointed, even if it isn't a discount day Anime hyper

I never caught on to the Appleseed bandwagon, to be honest. The first film came out at a time where I wasn't that into that kind of stuff so I think I will wait until Ex Machina is out on DVD and watch both of them one after the other.

Anime-Batman seems kind of like it's being dwarfed by The Dark Knight-ZOMGHEATHLEDGERKYAAAA. For the record, I like The Joker as a character, not Ledger himself.

Vexille was intriguing in that it could get weeaboos/Japanophiles/whoevers offside. I like storylines that are inspired by real-world conflict but it was a little fast in the beginning. I think I might just watch all of these again in the future.

Oh yeah, and I'd prefer it if Reel Anime had been screened at the Circular Quay Dendy rather than Newtown. It's jsut more easily accessible for most people.
ShinoMatrix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:40 am Reply with quote
madmangohan wrote:
As for the rest of the films. Well Ex Machina was just as good, if not better than the first Appleseed 3d flick. I have no doubt it'll still impress years from now.
Vexille had a surprisingly decent plot for an action flick. I honestly didn't really like the animation as much as I should of, but I sometimes can be picky at things like that. Deffinately was dwarfed by Ex Machina, but holds its own well.

Yeah, I reckon this second Appleseed definitely is better than the first, purely because I thought it was a bit more cohesive and a lot less pretentious. What I mean by that is, it wasn't wanting to be overly complicated. It's just awesome times.

At this point in time, I've actually seen all the films except for Vexile. Just for consistency, I probably should go and see it anyway... I agree about The Girl Who Leapt Through Time probably being the best of the stuff out there.

And why does Kino Dendy have to feel like they have to be different and not go with the generic Dendy website Anime hyper
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Heh Shino, The Luna over here did the same trick. But from the sounds of things "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time"is the top pick for this roundup.

Of course, i'm a bit swayed already on the issue Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1