• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-07-11]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Awaken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
"This week's Answerman question: There wasn't one SUCKERS!!!!"

I laughed way more than I should have at that.

I also totally agree with the comment on Blueray release for EVA. The last few anime I've seen on Blueray has been some of the most beautiful I've ever seen.

*hugs Playstation 3*

Not as fun as my xbox but I guess I'll let you stay a while...
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
That Pee Wee Herman pic is scary with that subject.

As for Cosplay, is there really a girl in a $4,000 outfit? Really?

KNJ doesn't stand a chance, even though I'm not sure why they haven't opted for an online only release with an exclusive anime retailer. That way, anyone who doesn't know what it is is safe from it, and people who wanted to buy it can. Also, they could slap 18 and up all over the damn thing, to the point where if you go looking for it and then complain you have no right.

Or they could take KNJ as an on order basis only, like they've done with other dvds....if they don't get a certain amount cancel it.

As for what anime world i'd live in....well. That difficult. You're probably going to get a lot of this, but i'd go with Naruto. I know its not all SWEET-ITS-A-NINJA type deal, but I think if I had been born in something like that I would have pushed myself a bit harder growing up. Every kid wants to fly, or do cool shit, and well. That would be the place for me. At least there i'd know if I went into war, it'd be a war I chose to go into.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
strahl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
the "thousand dollars cosplay" really exist, mostly in japan where the cosplayers mold pieces of gundam to 1:1 (real life) and they look like toys walking, but a point is, boring cosplay should be ignored and AX cosplay is fixed so they will still have the same competitors over and over again, but yeah...

if you gonna cosplay, do it awesome...

fat people has so much to cosplay for: porco rosso, pikachu, totoro..PACMAN...

I would like to live in the EIKEN WORLD...full of....yogurt slides...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
The more I watch Evangelion, the more I agree with Zac's opinion of the dub. It was really unpolished and awkward at times. Not that I don't enjoy Spike Spencer's bonus rant at the end of the last episode where he insists it ended the way it did because they ran out of ink.

I'd live in a very benign, colorful world where nothing particularly taxing could happen to me. Maybe the world of Crayon Shin-chan or Hamtaro. Or Yu-Gi-Oh, where the worse thing that could happen is... I guess, a card match loss.

Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I know what Anime universe I wouldn't want be living in: the Dragonball universe. Something about the Earth getting blown up every now and then just doesn't appeal to me.

As to my favourite universe/world, I'll have to think about it. Maybe I'll send it in if I'm feeling adventurous.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I know what Anime universe I wouldn't want be living in: the Dragonball universe. Something about the Earth getting blown up every now and then just doesn't appeal to me.

Really? I thought that would be a huge selling point.

I'm not as into cosplaying as I once was, but I still enjoy a well-made costume. But generally I only pay attention if it's from a series I know and like. Which is why almost all my pictures from Anime North were from the gathering of Phoenix Wright cosplayers I managed to stumble upon. That was so much fun!
Dardre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Eva on Bluray would be nice...as long as I don't have to up-date my firmware on my player...again (I have exactly two Bluray disks and I had to upgrade both times to watch them Rolling Eyes )

And is it just me, or does that bunny's eyes look demonic!? Makes me want to reach for a Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch... Laughing
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Meh still new to the whole con-scene, so cosplay still manages to hold my interest, although the traffic backups when people stop for photos does get frustrating.

Answerfans is tough this week, but I definitely would not live in the Death Note world...
SukieNeko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I really love cosplay myself. I have fun cosplaying at fanime and love seeing real life versions of my favorite anime characters. Some costumes are just amazing to see, and I can respect all the work that went into the construction of them. On the other hand, there are a lot of half assed costumes. Still, having fun is what it's all about. And if anything, cosplay brings on the drama and lols which I find entertaining. Some people take this hobby way too seriously.

Most anime worlds I would opt not to live in, what with the end of the world and wars being so common. But, I think it would be interesting to live in the world of Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell, if only because technology in those series has advanced so far past our own time's.
Kyokat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Tokyo as viewed through Cardcaptor Sakura. I don't think there's a single mean person in the entire city, and the worst thing that could possibly happen would be forgetting all your wonderful family and friends, but even that won't occur because your family and friends are wonderful. Sign me up for that.
1stAgent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
No kidding about the cosplay. I've been going to cons for six years and do recaps which are often big hits on various con forums... and on many occasions I look at the pictures I took and realize I took very few cosplay photos.

Nowadays I find I have more find making derisive lists about cosplayers based on marginally-related forum threads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Really? I thought that would be a huge selling point.

Yeah, the fireworks would be nice, but I wouldn't be able to see them, being on the planet that's blowing up and all.

The Death Note world wouldn't be fun to live in, unless of course I was the one in possession of the Death Note. But that's just sociopathic of me, isn't it?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
So many choices for worlds to live in. I suppose I'd have to stipulate certain rules before choosing. For instance, I'd only join DBZ if I was one of the fighters, or I'd join Hellsing if I were a vampire. Hmm, I need more time to choose.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Speaking of, I found it very strange that AX was showing this film multiple times this year and yet the big main event was the premiere of Batman: Gotham Knight, which to me seems like less of a big deal to anime fans than a new Evangelion movie.

Yeah, I mentioned it in response to that AX interview you did a while back. Maybe they really wanted to cash in on the Nolan movie, too.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna have to plead the fifth on the cosplay bit. I recognize too much from
1stAgent wrote:
derisive lists about cosplayers based on marginally-related forum threads.

Though I have seen diva, walking photoshoot, and chick magnet all in one. Well, all divas are not female. ANd what is it with Vash cosplayers blocking small hallways? Um.. I should shut up now.

britannicamoore wrote:
That Pee Wee Herman pic is scary with that subject.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking that. Hey! They were vintage art photos! Vintage art photos!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6