• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach, Death Note, Naruto Added to U.S. iTunes Store

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Bah, it's dubbed, dont want it....
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
That's great and all, but there are people out there who want the subbed versions too and don't necessarily feel like purchasing the DVDs. Is it that hard to also include that subbed version for download, or does iTunes say they only have limited space for rent, and thus the dub goes first?
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
They should have put subbed versions up first.
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Speaking as a sub fan, having subtitles on a 1.5" inch ipod screen just isn't that feasible. I've converted a few myself, and while the subs were still readable if you got really close to the screen, by the end of the episode I had pretty bad eye strain.
Providing dubbed episodes allows them to reach a wider audience. I think it's always a good thing to see more anime on itunes, regardless of my preferred audio format.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Lucca_Ashtear wrote:
Speaking as a sub fan, having subtitles on a 1.5" inch ipod screen just isn't that feasible.

QFT. I have enough trouble reading subtitles on my PSP.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
so I take it that the videos for sale on itunes are only big enough for an ipod screen and don't look that great on a computer?
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
They're optimized for the ipod screen but they will appear in a larger format when viewed on a computer. I don't think there's one standard size but the ones I have downloaded were something like 640x480.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That's great and all, but there are people out there who want the subbed versions too and don't necessarily feel like purchasing the DVDs. Is it that hard to also include that subbed version for download, or does iTunes say they only have limited space for rent, and thus the dub goes first?

Sorry I forgot to answer this in my last post, Direct2Drive download services offers subtitled anime and at a higher resolution than itunes.

Last edited by Lucca_Ashtear on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
lisamarie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
cloud1989 wrote:
so I take it that the videos for sale on itunes are only big enough for an ipod screen and don't look that great on a computer?

iTunes look just fine on a computer, you can even do full screen without losing that much quality.
musashi1600

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Lucca_Ashtear wrote:
Speaking as a sub fan, having subtitles on a 1.5" inch ipod screen just isn't that feasible. I've converted a few myself, and while the subs were still readable if you got really close to the screen, by the end of the episode I had pretty bad eye strain.

I've done that myself, and I haven't had problems watching what I've ripped (beyond having to deal with the poor battery life of my first-gen iPod video.) Maybe it depends on the person watching?
nx6

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Note to everyone asking about the resolution:

640x480 was the standard fansub resolution for Bleach before it went to a widescreen aspect ratio with this current filler arc. And the iTunes videos are h264 video, so they should be better video quality than the fansubs of those episodes (which were XviD) if the file sizes are similar. I guess it will depend of how large a bitrate is given to the audio.

Does anyone know what the filesize for an episode is?
kibou_no_seigi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I agree that subbed work should not go on an iPod, the screens are just too small to put on a legible print that wont strain your eyes without taking up too much space in the picture. I enjoy dubs anyway so I am happy that we're heading in this direction, now if only we could get some titles released for Canada...
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching anime on my ipod for a while now, and the subtitles are just fine. They really should put up the subbed versions, since most people who get fansubs want to watch subs.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
abstract-alchemist wrote:
I've been watching anime on my ipod for a while now, and the subtitles are just fine. They really should put up the subbed versions, since most people who get fansubs want to watch subs.

Don't presume to speak for so many fans. Many fans prefer dubs, regardless of screen size. But that dispute's been going on for years and won't be settled here.

Moreover, don't presume that this is Viz's choice. Considering that Funimation and Tezuka are also dub-only, maybe you should consider the possibility that the licensee doesn't have the option of putting up subs. Maybe the iTunes contract forbids foreign language content, or maybe the Japanese licensors are concerned about cheap "reverse import" into Japan (despite the iTunes DRM) and therefore will only allow dubs for digital distribution.
skaly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:00 am Reply with quote
I understand that iTunes was made to interact with iPods, but a fair amount of people (I assume) will want to watch videos on their computer. In that event, doesn't it make sense to have a sub option?

When they start selling subbed episodes on iTunes, you better believe that I will abandon DVDs before you can say some commonly-known-among-the-fandom Japanese word.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
If Funimation's uncut english dub of One Piece was listed, that would be interesting to watch.

I myself prefer dub, but maybe there is restrictions that don't allow subitltes or such.

Not everyone can read subtitles clearly, but this dub vs sub battle has been going on for several decades, so I doubt this issue will be solved here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2