• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Precure, Digimon 02 Added to Direct2Drive Downloads

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:16 am Reply with quote
Bought the first 15 Digimon 02's and the first Pretty Cure.

It's really disappointing all the episodes they put up for all their shows have really REALLY horrible video quality.
hara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:27 am Reply with quote
Are there really enough fans of those series who would buy subtitled files online? Excuse me if I am wrong, but don't those shows mainly appeal to younger audiences who prefer to watch the stuff dubbed on TV?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:43 am Reply with quote
hara: No, and no, hence why it's being sold on-line in the first place. Well, Precure could make money here, but no one in the U.S. has taken a real chance on girl's cartoons since the 80s with that Gem crap. I don't count Daria, since that was a spin-off of a popular guy cartoon. Nowadays, though, ad space is used to sell diabetes[I mean sugary snacks. Wink ] rather than toys, so programming geared towards kids is all about giving them a quick fix, rather than making them feel motivated enough to do something productive.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:56 am Reply with quote
It's a shame that Pretty Cure will never get a chance on English TV as it stands out as one of the few magical girl shows with considerable amounts of ass-kicking. But of course that would be the first thing to go.
Nebs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:09 am Reply with quote
hara wrote:
Are there really enough fans of those series who would buy subtitled files online? Excuse me if I am wrong, but don't those shows mainly appeal to younger audiences who prefer to watch the stuff dubbed on TV?

No, Digimon USED to appeal to younger audiences when it first aired. Now it appeals to old-school fans* who want to watch it for nostalgic reasons & because they used to be big fans. According to that recent ANN survey asking about gateway titles, many people said Digimon (myself included). So this appeals to that kind of fan.

*Show from 2000 now qualifies as old school, lulz.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:23 am Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
It's a shame that Pretty Cure will never get a chance on English TV as it stands out as one of the few magical girl shows with considerable amounts of ass-kicking. But of course that would be the first thing to go.

Oh so very, very true! Aside from Nanoha, Pretty Cure (well the seasons with the original pair) seriously kick a lot of ass and is the bait of so many yuri doujinshi (those two do get very close in which some fans love to exponentiate Laughing ).
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:25 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, I can't wait to support the industry with lagitimate purchaces of subtiled media that I want!

What's this? US and Canada only? Why, go f*** yourself, Toei, I'm going back to D*** fansubs to watch Digimon uncensored.
Remember, Toei, you could of had my £15 but you had to go and do region bockclocking.

No one, and I meen no one, can c*** it up fantasticly quite like how Toei can.

EDIT: Well screw that, I can't now because D*** are the decent bunch that follow the rule of "Is out and uncut". The long and short of this whole debacle is that toei better be glad they didn't release Tamers or Zero One because I would of torn them in half.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:08 am Reply with quote
Aww...Digimon is subtitled. Well that's just poo. Anime hyper
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:33 am Reply with quote
While any form of subtitled, licensed PreCure is good, I'd prefer DVD boxsets.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:54 am Reply with quote
There's probably not any guarantee of them finishing Pretty Cure, is there? If I spend money on the first episodes (which I really want to do, as I'm a devout mahou shoujo fangirl who tries to avoid fansubs), I'm a little worried they'll leave me hanging. Gonzo did a wonderful job getting their series out on time and Toei isn't even holding itself to a release schedule like that, but still, I worry.
Apterous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:01 am Reply with quote
I don't get the appeal of selling PreCure online in the US for Toei. I mean, the whole point of the show is to make little girls (and weird otaku) buy the Merch - the magical cell phone thing, the plushie mascots, etc. I found myself making a potential shopping list when sampling the show.

With online-only distribution as opposed to on TV, they're hitting the weird otaku market over the larger little girl market, so they're not getting nearly as many people wanting to buy their highly profitable plastic crap... WTF TOEI?!?!?
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
YES BUT I WANT TAMERS AND FRONTIER.

But yeah, I plan to buy some of this =P I was so shocked to see the ANN ad! I hope this snags them a lot of revenue, this is very cool.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
The long and short of this whole debacle is that toei better be glad they didn't release Tamers or Zero One because I would of torn them in half.

Of course you would. Because when you aren't whining about children's cartoons on the internet, you're some kind of deadly international assassin. Rolling Eyes
Kyjin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quote
Wait, the website says that Digimon is dubbed, but people here are saying subbed? Which is it?

I would kill for uncut Digimon DVDs, but if the Toei is offering uncut subs, I'd take that. (Shame that they only have the first 15 though- my favorite episodes are later on.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hollowmoon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
If Toei really wanted to make a killing they'd put Sailor Stars up for release. Though Naoko would have to release the rights to do so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6