• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Revoltech Gurren Lagann

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Er, Grendizer and Votoms...? That has yet to happen in the Revoltech series. You must be confusing figures from another line. Mazinkaiser and Dougram have been done, though, and uh...I guess those are close enough? :S

By the way, the backpack for GL's wings is included with the Lazengann figure that was released recently, but the wings themselves aren't out yet, and are apparently going to be included with future GL related Revs. Tricky!

There's also a super limited Wonder Fest only version of the figure with shiny red paint and the full wing set, but well, good luck getting that if you're not actually going to Wonder Fest.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
You could use that drill accessory for some quality visual innuendos.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cenorig

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Cheap, beautiful and durable? I'm in, always wanted a Gurren.
wanpo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
That looks like one awesome toy.

I'm thinking that this would be a great gift for a friend of mine. The only problem is, I'm completely new to buying figures, so I have no idea where to start looking. Any suggestions? Ordering online would be the best option for me, since I'm relying on ridiculously slow public transit at the moment.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
wanpo wrote:
That looks like one awesome toy.

I'm thinking that this would be a great gift for a friend of mine. The only problem is, I'm completely new to buying figures, so I have no idea where to start looking. Any suggestions? Ordering online would be the best option for me, since I'm relying on ridiculously slow public transit at the moment.

I'm not sure if this site will have it, but try: http://www.hlj.com/
If they don't, try: http://www.kidnemo.com/
Those are the only two sites that I know of that might have it.
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I know what you mean by not wanting to snap the joints and whatnot...
I was playing with my fate/stay Night nendroid Saber, and one of her ball joints popped off, so that her leg is seperated from the ball joint, and the joint is stuck inside her skirt thing DX(Admittedly, I suppose that I probably should've used gentler tactics of removing and inserting the ball joints...)
This toy looks like a lot of fun though =3
wanpo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:

Thanks so much for the help. I found it on hlj.

Thanks again!
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
This figure is awesome, but I have been hearing some horror stories about Gurren's shades breaking when you try to remove em, so mine aren't going anywhere for a while.
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
Great write-up on this figure! I bought this figure for my boyfriend and I had to laugh at this article because I too was terrified of moving the stiff joints. I also noticed when I bought this at AX that there was a $60 version of the figure that seemed to come with more accessories or something, but I'm not sure.. all I know is the box was bigger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:31 am Reply with quote
HyperGatack wrote:
This figure is awesome, but I have been hearing some horror stories about Gurren's shades breaking when you try to remove em, so mine aren't going anywhere for a while.

I've heard stories too. People who own this figure, DO NOT pull on his shades, they will snap off if you use too much force.

I have this figure and the more expensive Konami Impact Model version and it's amazing how much great stuff they squeezed into the Revoltech version making it a good substitute for people who don't want to track down the IM figure.

I really hope that at some point they'll release the separate Lagann and Gurren as a Revoltech set (though Lagann would be more like an accessory).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BANGER

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I recently bought two Revoltechs (EVA-01 and the Gurren in this article) and one Figma in the recent Anime Expo, with the Revoltechs costing $22 each and the Figma $25. Compared to the prepainted scale PVCs you mostly see around, these are incredibly cheap and good for the money. Like most things, it's Made in China, but the quality control standards are evidently high. They're fun to play with too.

The current pose my Gurren is in:

The trio in their current poses (EVA-01 just screams Lancelot, doesn't it... I actually intended that. It just shows how articulate these figures can be):

Overall, I prefer the Figma since they're "pose-able poses" appear more natural than the Revoltechs--which somewhat seem a bit preset--the Figma came with more stuff (two swords including their own sheath, 2 hair pieces, 2 face pieces, and a dozen hand pieces), the Figma doll joints are less obvious than Revoltechs, and the Figma two-joint stand is very innovative--though it lacks the ability to create the "aerial poses" you could pull off from a Revoltech stand. Revoltechs are, however, still excellent figures (especially for the money), and the reviewer couldn't have worded it any better.

What's funny is, I bought the Gurren even though I have never seen the show (blasphemy). I was that impressed by this figure.

I'll be picking up more in the future after having played with the two I bought.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind that the NON-articulated parts can be broken off.

Certain drunk former co-workers (coughcoughDALEcough) have been known to break a wing off of a beautiful Revoltech Fraulein figure (my poor Pocco!).

And my Gurren? Yet another mildly intoxicated con colleague managed to yank off the sunglasses from the front of the thing, because he wondered if they were supposed to come off.

See the above comments to learn about how THAT went.
Faceman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I really this column, Rob. Keep up the good work!
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
Figma Saber is a very cool figure. My only complaint about her is that she's too small. I was hoping she'd be taller than the Revoltech Saber, but it turned out she's actually smaller. Confused Still though, the articulation is amazing! She has more joints in her skirt than a lot of figures have in their whole body!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DFBTG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:52 am Reply with quote
wanpo wrote:
DFBTG wrote:

Thanks so much for the help. I found it on hlj.

Thanks again!

No problem, glad I could help.

As a side note, while liking TTGL, the mechs...well...not too high on my priority list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2