• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Freelancers Report that PiQ's July Issue Is Its Last

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Otaku USA is a copy of Newtype USA. One of the reason I like it is the differences, of which there are several. After all NTUSA never had a section just for Boy's Love manga. Not that I read that genre but I do enjoy reading about it.

Disclaimers:
I greatly enjoyed writing for Newtype USA for almost all of the run of the magazine. I am now enjoying writing for Otaku USA and hope to continue to do so.

I also greatly enjoy reading Protoculture Addicts, which I do not write for.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Well the piq website is now down this was written on it by kevin gillford about the last issue before it was taken down again (presumebly by ADV bosses)

A combination of low advertising revenue, poor business management and a lack of proper marketing and promotion all hamstrung the magazine from the start. "

He also mentioned about subscirbers getting refunds.....and we still have no news on this and i doubt we ever will leaving at leats 15000 people pissed of with ADV.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
He also mentioned about subscirbers getting refunds.....and we still have no news on this and i doubt we ever will leaving at leats 15000 people pissed of with ADV.

I smell class-action lawsuit.
Romeo Charlie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Kireek wrote:

I smell class-action lawsuit.

Given all the troubles in the recent past with ADV's own site, I wouldn't be surprised if someone just flipped the wrong switch somewhere, but I'm pretty sure this means that anyone hoping for more information about subscriptions/refunds is out of luck.

I mean, at this point it should be obvious that nobody's going to be getting any refunds. Oh, and for what it's worth, it was hardly 15,000.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
jeffk wrote:
Sorry if I upset anyone, I just saw some speculation that I could perhaps help make clearer. I didn’t feel that I overly hyped OUSA or degraded either PiQ or NTUSA and certainly didn’t hide with a fake moniker (notice OUSA Pusher under my name). (oops, that's on another forum but it is listed as my occupation here)

Yes I am Jeff Kight, Advertising Director for Sovereign Media, publisher of Otaku USA Sci Fi, Realms of Fantasy, WW II History & Military Heritage. Our company has launched nearly 30 magazines in its history and has more coming.

That’s not meant to be spam for the company rather info showing that we are a magazine publishing company and know a bit about the industry.

Magazine publishing is a business we try to produce a product that people will enjoy and purchase. Some people will enjoy AI, OUSA, PA or Giant Robot (I enjoy GR a great deal) and others will not. Some loved Newtype USA and some loved PiQ…others did not. That’s life.

As I said, I believe had PiQ been launched on it's own, without a connection to NTUSA it may have made it. It looked nice, felt good and may have found a life among the other entertainment pubs.

I agree with you 100%. PiQ was not a bad magazine, and had some great production values. It still needed some growing up to do, but I think it did quite well in only 4 issues. In fact, I think PiQ did much better in those 4 issues than many magazines do over years. The biggest problem was it being a replacement for Newtype USA. If ADV had started another magazine that was entirely anime, then I don't think the backlash would have been as great. (Though I'm sure some people would still have been upset.)

I think PiQ could have made a great sister publication to Newtype. The two could have complimented each other nicely.
Kireek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:28 am Reply with quote
Here we go found it on another site

It's unfortunate that we'll never get a chance to see how successful PiQ could have been, but a combination of low advertising revenue, poor business management and a lack of proper marketing and promotion all hamstrung the magazine from the start. We, the editorial/creative/production staff, did the best we could to put together a quality publication, but as we've discovered, without a good financial backing, it's all an exercise in futility.

For those readers that were just starting to get behind the magazine, the staff of PiQ gives a hearty "thank you" to all of you for your support. To those of you who subscribed (or were formerly subscribed to NTUSA), more details will be coming soon.

This was up on the site for about 3 weeks its was then taken down. then the website shut down about a month later. I also remember there being about 70 comments about this news on the site most asking if they will get a refund.
Kireek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:27 am Reply with quote
LOLOLOL

http://www.japanator.com/elephant/post.phtml?pk=7541

no refunds for anyone ADV reputation down the gutter.[/spoiler]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11