• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Itazura na Kiss.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feniks9174

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I really didn't see all of that coming. Maybe it was just that so much happened in one episode that I was half-expecting the episode to end with a big "Just Kidding" or spoiler[for Irie to pull out a "I'm marrying you for some other reason and I still can't stand you". I think more of a dating period or more time with Irie coming to terms with his feelings would have helped].

Also, it could have been Kotoko's natural tendency for humiliation that made me weary of the whole thing. Besides, every girl I've ever known would have, at some point, taken a step back and said "Wait, what the heck is going on?"
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote
so i got done with 17 and 18

spoiler[nice little turn of events that happened, Kotoko is now thinking twice of her marriage due to Keita asking her "why, did you marry Irie?"

its cool to see Irie get mad at Keita for trying to go after Kotoko, but it will be interesting what Kotoko does after he ask her to break up with Irie.]
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
@Feniks: I know this is almost a month late response, but spoiler[their marriage] wasn't as "rushed" (not that that's a bad thing) in the manga, and since they're trying to fit it all into one 26-episode anime, it seems a little more understandable to me that it would all happen in one episode. At least, I was fine with it.

Anyway, not only have I caught up with Allison & Lillia, but I have with this series as well. For a while there -- before episode 13 -- I lost some interest cause I'd been reading the manga and already knew what was going to happen. Now that I've been away from the series for pretty much the whole summer (and forgot a lot of what's happening), I totally got addicted to it again.

spoiler[Keita's a nice part of the story, cause it's hard to make any guy seem "better" than Naoki, or even make him worry/put up a fight for his relationship with Kotoko.]

Can't wait for more drama.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
After seeing episode 19:

Tbh I kinda like Keita alot better.spoiler[ I would have picked him. I hope he finds some happiness of his own. ]Then again I would not fall for someone like Irie in the first place. I do admire her loyalty though. Besides if Irie wasnt a jerk this anime would be boring. Laughing

I kind of wished they showed him jealous more..the way he handled it wasnt very exciting..
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I finally got caught up on this series (I was on vacation recently and ended up 3 episodes behind). I definitely like how for the first time Kotoko spoiler[had a legitimate love interest other than Irie (sorry Kin-chan, but we all know your crush on her was just comic relief). I definitely like Keita and think he was good for the couple to have in their life, even if temptation to have an affair usually would be a bad thing for a marriage. Hopefully we'll see Irie take his new lessons and use them a bit more in the future episodes.]
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Ep 20 was a nice episode but spoiler[what a time leap 4 years!? The cliff hanger at the end also had me at a loss, does anyone know who that could be? Don't tell me if its from the manga or anything, I just can't remember if it was a character from a previous episode.]
Also I'm getting the feeling that for a romance show this one lacks intimacy, in a sexual way, does any body else feel the same way? I mean spoiler[how come they are always shown sleeping facing away from one another, why can't they embrace or soemthing?]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:34 am Reply with quote
ShadowTrader wrote:
Ep 20 was a nice episode but spoiler[what a time leap 4 years!? The cliff hanger at the end also had me at a loss, does anyone know who that could be? Don't tell me if its from the manga or anything, I just can't remember if it was a character from a previous episode.]
Also I'm getting the feeling that for a romance show this one lacks intimacy, in a sexual way, does any body else feel the same way? I mean spoiler[how come they are always shown sleeping facing away from one another, why can't they embrace or soemthing?]

Yes, the spoiler[time leaps] are always a bit awkward, but I suppose we just need to accept them in order to have an ending to this story, which is something I would really like.

And I definitely agree that there is a lack when it comes to sexual intimacy between those two. Sex has barely even been mentioned, beyond the honeymoon episode (and even then, it was barely there). I wonder if this is another one of those things caused by when the story was originally written. It might not have been as common to show the more sexual side of a relationship at that time, though it's become fairly commonplace now.

Also I suppose it keeps the series a bit more innocent. But it also makes it a little too close to all those old TV parents who slept in seperate beds.

That said, I actually think spoiler[that them sleeping with their backs to each other is very IC with their relationship. Irie just doesn't really seem the cuddling type, after all. Which makes displays of affection like at the end of the cap scene mean all that much more, because he really isn't good at showing that he cares.]
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

That said, I actually think spoiler[that them sleeping with their backs to each other is very IC with their relationship. Irie just doesn't really seem the cuddling type, after all. Which makes displays of affection like at the end of the cap scene mean all that much more, because he really isn't good at showing that he cares.]

Thats exactly right, spoiler[Irie isn't good with his emotions, so after 6 episodes of them being married shouldn't we be seeing some progress in him? I understand that he is supposed to be that type of character but I want at least one episode with him doing something romantic or surprising, or at least show some genuine interest in his wife of more than 5 years!]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote
ShadowTrader wrote:
Thats exactly right, spoiler[Irie isn't good with his emotions, so after 6 episodes of them being married shouldn't we be seeing some progress in him? I understand that he is supposed to be that type of character but I want at least one episode with him doing something romantic or surprising, or at least show some genuine interest in his wife of more than 5 years!]

Well, he did spoiler[try to show up for the nurses ceremony with flowers, which I thought was pretty good of him, and that was before the four year time gap as well. We didn't really see all that much of him after the gap, and honestly I don't expect him to ever get really good at that type of thing. Which is something Kotoko fully knows and accepts (even if it does frustrate her at times).]
stopher87

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
(This is from Itazura na Kiss) I honestly didn't know that she... I mean he was a guy. I was honestly shocked when I heard that. I thought by now after watching countless animes I could pick out a guy from a girl. I guess not. Did anyone else feel this way or was it just me?

Last edited by stopher87 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
whew so I jumped on this bandwagon after hearing that the author of the manga had died before drawing a conclusion, and so far I haven't been disappointed. I mean, how many shows do you get which deal with spoiler[college, marriage (if unrealistically), and the lead male still being a jerk to his soulmate after four years of marriage Rolling Eyes? major props. I just can't wait for a baby-- and the subs for episode 21!]
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
whew so I jumped on this bandwagon after hearing that the author of the manga had died before drawing a conclusion, and so far I haven't been disappointed. I mean, how many shows do you get which deal with spoiler[college, marriage (if unrealistically), and the lead male still being a jerk to his soulmate after four years of marriage Rolling Eyes? major props. I just can't wait for a baby-- and the subs for episode 21!]

So I guess if I die you'll watch my anime too, huh? I like how you make your selections.

Also your interpretation is wrong, Irie isn't a jerk, he just does not know how to express his emotions. This was clearly portrayed in the jealousy episode, spoiler[where he didn't even realize what it was he was feeling.] The genius character with a lack of emotions is a staple character in a lot of romance anime take for example Kimikiss pure rouge, where several episodes are dedicated to that character and their slow change from all logic to more emotion and spontaneousness. Often this revolves around another character falling in love with them and trying to change them or the genius character wanting to change so as to experience the "illogical" thing that is love.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
ShadowTrader wrote:

Maybe I'm crazy, but wasn't it spoiler[the hospitalized kid from several episodes back, the one where Kotoko made the decision to become a nurse? I don't have it on hand right now for reference, but I think the kid was called Nocchi or something which I guess would be a reasonable contraction of Nobuhiro.]

Quote:

Well ... they are Japanese. Laughing

Anyway, with this latest run of episodes I've found myself getting more and more interested in the career aspect of the story. I mean, romances with klutzy female leads and "I'm going to be a jerkface asshat to the main girl except for the last minute of every episode" leading men are found just about everywhere, but a series that shows what happens to them after going to school and getting proper jobs and stuff is pretty refreshing. Seeing Kotoko striving to succeed in a challenging field -- especially when most of her peers are clearly more gifted than she is -- is much more rewarding than, say, spoiler["If I annoy the hottest guy in school enough he'll eventually marry me."]
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote
ShadowTrader wrote:
rainbowcourage wrote:

So I guess if I die you'll watch my anime too, huh? I like how you make your selections.

Well I'd also heard good things about it, but that kind of suspense and excitement for fans of the manga is enough for me. I don't really know how you intended that comment about my selections to be interpreted...?

ShadowTrader wrote:

Also your interpretation is wrong, Irie isn't a jerk, he just does not know how to express his emotions. This was clearly portrayed in the jealousy episode, spoiler[where he didn't even realize what it was he was feeling.] The genius character with a lack of emotions is a staple character in a lot of romance anime

Ok, so the guy is socially inept, but after 9 years he still barely improves his behavior toward Kotoko on a regular basis. Sure, there are the touching make-up moments, but he hasn't heard of good old-fashioned consideration? Most of the time he speaks to her in two words or terse sentences, he doesn't make time for her, and he grudgingly does her favors. It's not that hard to learn that kind of stuff. To me, that says jerk, no matter how sympathetic a character is supposed to be. Doesn't mean I don't like him, though Smile
gibbage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
OK. After being married for so many years, and they STILL live with there parents? WTF? If this a Japanese thing? Maybe thats why they dont "get it on" often. Mom and dad are on the other side of the wall! It makes sense. The only episode that we DO know they had sex in, they were in a hotel, in Hawaii!

Im sure if they move out, Kotoko will turn into a little minx Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10