• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Adds 20th Century Boys, Pluto Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY! I've been loving Monster. I must confess I cheated and read some of 20th Century Boys 'through the magic of the interwebs'. I love it and will gladly nab every volume that Viz releases. I actually bought a beautiful oversized volume of Pluto while in Japan, but I certainly want it in English.
everybody_loves_hypnotoad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
YES! These are two titles I've desperatley been waiting to stack on my shelf and take home with me. Viz you've made me cry tears of joy.
Pacific Pikachu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
20th Century Boys is my favorite manga of all time, and I'm going to be quite excited to be able to hold it in my hands, carry it around and read it, and so on. Very Happy

I've only read a little of Pluto, but what I read was very, very good.

Naoki Urasawa is amazing.
Alex_Strife

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
That's it? No new anime licenses? I mean it's nice we get something from the creator of Monster, but no new anime licenses? What a bummer. I was looking forward to them licensing Gintama or Reborn.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's about time! I was thinking they'd never get around to releasing 20th Century Boys.

Great news.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably give Pluto a whirl, assuming it doesn't get the Real price treatment, but I'll think about 20CB.
arxane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Well, it's about time! I was thinking they'd never get around to releasing 20th Century Boys.

Great news.

Remember, Urasawa himself requested that Viz only release 20th Century Boys after Monster, as he felt that his drawing style changed significantly between the series and he didn't want to cheat his fans in America (iirc).

With only three volumes left in Monster, it makes sense Viz would get ready to release it...finally.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't know much about Pluto, but I've been very curious about 20th Century Boys for a while. Man though, I still need to figure out how in the heck I'm going to read Monster...... At least these 2 I can start from the beginning though, so this is great. Looking forward to their releases. Very Happy
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I thought it had already licensed 20CB and planned to just release it after Monster finished...
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Huzzah! Viz is hitting one grand slam after another today! More Urasawa stuff is always good. Maybe my dreams of Keaton coming over are not so incredibly far off after all...
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Sweet. I loved Monster (the anime), so I'll certainly be reading these two series.

Now I wish someone that would license Historie by Hitoshi Iwaaki. I'm currently reading his other series Parasyte (which is excellent, by the way), but I've heard that Historie is superior.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Yes! I figured 20CB was coming in Feb. But Pluto is an absolute surprise...although they will catch up within a year. Awesome nonetheless. Can't wait!!
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:

Now I wish someone that would license Historie by Hitoshi Iwaaki. I'm currently reading his other series Parasyte (which is excellent, by the way), but I've heard that Historie is superior.

Historie is incredible. Parasyte is really good, but Historie absolutely blew me away. If it was licensed.... wow... that would be really, really neat.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Pluto! fudge yes. While being somewhat derivative, it's also Urasawa's most consistent work -- 20th Century Boys would've been had it not collasped under its weighty plot after two phenomenal arcs.

I'll be buying both series, anyway. 20th Century Boys was already a given, but after recent remarks/rumors about the license's holders in Japan being resistant to licensing out Pluto, this is a welcome surprise.

Jedi General wrote:
Now I wish someone that would license Historie by Hitoshi Iwaaki.

Del Rey or Kodansha are about the only two I can imagine handling Historie. And I can't imagine it coming out for a while; there's only five volumes released, and new chapters come out on an erractic schedule (with some massive reworkings when the tankobans are released).

Quote:
I'm currently reading his other series Parasyte (which is excellent, by the way), but I've heard that Historie is superior.

Historie definitely better than the (very excellent) Parasyte. In fact, it's one of the best manga I've ever read.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they both look like a good read. Now, if Viz Pictures would bring over 20CB live-action movies that would be even better. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3