• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
G4 Presents: Comic-Con '08 - Viz Media: Shonen Jump

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightYagami

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Will ANN have a full transcript (NOT a summary) from Tite Kubo's panel?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
Will ANN have a full transcript (NOT a summary) from Tite Kubo's panel?

Let me see if this is possible to do in a remotely timely fashion. Transcription takes time and our reporters at the show are very, very busy.
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
They're releasing SOULs but not VIBEs? That makes no sense.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:

It's too early to announce VIBEs, it's intended to be released after SOULs after all (contains the second half of the original story).

Not a whole lot in the way of news regarding the magazine that wasn't already announced through previous press releases, but I'm looking forward to reading both Ultimo and Letter Bee in Shonen Jump (I don't read Slam Dunk so I wont miss it).

Curious how Stan's new anime project turns out, couldn't possibly be worse than the horrible direct to video crap he was churning out recently.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Zoe wrote:

It's too early to announce VIBEs, it's intended to be released after SOULs after all (contains the second half of the original story).

They were released concurrently in Japan, and Ichigo's prequel (not the pilot) is supposed to be happening at the same time as Rukia's prequel in VIBEs.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one interested in this "BakaPara" thing? I've always been curious about the level of awareness there is among the Japanese that "Holy cow, 14-year-old Americans are reading our comic books."
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, same here. And why is it called BakaPara? >.>
Drac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
I don't blame them for leaving during the Q&A part since it always seems so downright pointless.
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:53 am Reply with quote
Is it only me who thinks Waq Waq sounds... REALLY dirty? Is it a harem comedy? I'd bet some money it is.

Yay, a special book with a yu-gi-oh card. People still collect those? I think I have about 20 cards from the magazine I cover with sticky shelf paper and use as a bookmark... Except for the holographic cards, which I'll pawn off on some yugioh otaku for large sums of money. (Hey, use people's obsessions for money! I know I'd let you if you had something I wanted!)
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
kirbyboy102 wrote:
Is it only me who thinks Waq Waq sounds... REALLY dirty? Is it a harem comedy? I'd bet some money it is.

Hopefully not. There are more than enough of already. I.E. Strawberry 100%, Rosario Vampire (Second season, the first season was well made), and others.

However, that Bleach encypedia looks interesting. I did enjoy the first series of Rosario Vampire, but the second season was horrid.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
kirbyboy102 wrote:

Hopefully not. There are more than enough of already. I.E. Strawberry 100%, Rosario Vampire (Second season, the first season was well made), and others.

Here's what I could find for a synopsis of Waq Waq:
"The world of Waq Waq is a place where machines attack the black-blooded humans, whose only defense are the Sakimori, humans chosen to partner up with the Goujin-zou, a race of machines that grow stronger when melded to humans. Shio and his Sakimori father, Al, upon entering a village, are attacked by the machines. As Al falls in battle, he leaves his son to become the new Sakimori and guardian of a mysterious young girl, believed to be god, found at the heart of the battle. Waq Waq is the story of Shio as he battles to protect what was entrusted to him by his father. Let the battle for God begin!"

It's 34 chapters long and is compiled into 4 volumes. But either way it most definitely does not sound like a Harem manga.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
kirbyboy102 wrote:

Here's what I could find for a synopsis of Waq Waq:
"The world of Waq Waq is a place where machines attack the black-blooded humans, whose only defense are the Sakimori, humans chosen to partner up with the Goujin-zou, a race of machines that grow stronger when melded to humans. Shio and his Sakimori father, Al, upon entering a village, are attacked by the machines. As Al falls in battle, he leaves his son to become the new Sakimori and guardian of a mysterious young girl, believed to be god, found at the heart of the battle. Waq Waq is the story of Shio as he battles to protect what was entrusted to him by his father. Let the battle for God begin!"

It's 34 chapters long and is compiled into 4 volumes. But either way it most definitely does not sound like a Harem manga.

Well at least this series isn't harem based. Though now that I have a idea of the plot, I don't really think I'll be reading this manga though. Thanks for researching.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
I've read most of Waq Waq, the story isn't terribly interesting but I really liked the art. The designs were incredibly weird and original, and everything was much more polished than the art you see in Houshin Engi. Not sure if I'd pick it up, but I am curious how he ended it in just four volumes...
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Drac wrote:
I don't blame them for leaving during the Q&A part since it always seems so downright pointless.

Wow
No idea why, but that Walmart ad was deathly annoying.....

Comic-con has been sold out for weeks. 4 day passes & Saturday(the day all the Hollywood type panels are supposed to be scheduled for) have been sold out for a couple months.

This means line up EARLY for big panels. My daughter's bf lined up around 3 hours prior to Kubo's panel. We hit a panel--was it Lost in Translation? & didn't make the Bandai panel because the line was wrapped around double & it was the smallest room in the place I swear. We headed over to the Voice acting panel Saturday after Mashima (30 minutes prior to the panel start time) & were about 30 bodies out after the room was closed at capacity. (So we headed to the Mashima signing)

People leaving after Lee were probably fans of Western stuff with no interest in manga (though I thought it interesting Stan Lee said he's been a fan of manga for a while though he didn't say how long). Or they wanted to get in line for another panel.

I believe totals were over 100,000 badges sold last year. If this year was sold out, I'll gamble there were more badges sold/given out. The line Saturday morning for Hall H was HUGE(someone said it was the Heroes panel)--from the building to the sidewalk & down the road out of sight.
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Nothing of interest for me as expected from Shonen Jump, but this did catch my eye:

VM/SJ Panel Report wrote:
Lee also mentioned that he is working on other Japanese collaboration projects, including a new anime with Studio BONES and another project that he could not yet speak about.

The Bones collaboration sounds very interesting. I'm curious as to why he announced it at the Viz Media/Shonen Jump though. I wonder if Viz is involved with that (I do hope though that they will continue to stay away from Bones titles though Laughing ).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1