• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Accusations and Doomsaying

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Hey don't forget to cover the most interesting new "game" for the DS that came out last week, the Korg DS-10.

Well, that's what I'm interestd in, anyway. I supposed it's not really anime related, though.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes, it looks like a game designed by that huge kid who sat at the back of your high-school homeroom and wore nothing but leather jackets and Metallica T-shirts, but Brütal Legend comes from Tim Schafer, the creator of Psychonauts and Grim Fandango, so it's wrapped up with a lot of self-aware humor, not to mention the voice of Jack Black. If we're lucky, the games will find new publishing deals by tomorrow, and I'll be a panicky cretin for even bringing it up

I'm betting Tell-Tale.

Oh, and I agree with you on the PS GITS, but I never could beat those training missions with 100%. Crying or Very sad
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:08 am Reply with quote
Haven't played "VP2" yet, but I am a little worried about how the plot for the DS game is going to work out, or at least the main character. I mean, getting angry at a Valkyrie because she took a warrior's soul? Confused Way to miss the point, kid.

I really wish Production I.G. would consider doing some more "GitS" projects that stick to Shirow's art. They look so good. Sad
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Shirow, I'm surprised you haven't covered Horned Owl.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:49 am Reply with quote
i want Soul Eater, Valkyrie, Bumpy Trot(Steambot Chronicles), and Haruhi video games
RedTigerWolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
If anyone has played the demo for Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm, they will realize that just from the demo itself you can have at least an hour of fun from 2 characters and one location. I haven't gotten any of the previous Naruto games for a few reasons, game play is usually flawed, animation is sub-par, and any of the English releases seem to only have the English audio.

On the other hand, the demo for Naruto: UNS seems has really nice gameplay, very beautiful visuals and it seems like they'll be having japanese audio as an option, which is probably one of the major reasons I want to buy this, because the Naruto Dub is complete sh*t. Most people might say sorry for that comment but it's the truth.

If there is any Naruto game that I will ever buy, it'll definitely be this game when it hits in October. I personally think it'll be one of the most popular Naruto games to ever hit the market.

... Now if only they would get around to making an awesome One Piece fighter..... maybe even a good Bleach one... More points for One Piece though....
amusedconfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
hmm... i'm a big fan of SHnY, but that dance game seems to be a bit much. haruhiism is alive and well, eh?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:06 am Reply with quote
As much as I love Haruhi, I don't see myself spending sixty dollars to learn how to do the Haruhi dance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
Brutal Legend.Problems always seem to befall Tim Schafer in one of his releases or another.Too bad.

Todd wrote:
Or do you just care about Final Fantasy and Soul Calibur and Sakura Wars and Valkyrie Profile? Well, I'll understand if you only care about Valkyrie Profile. I feel the same way sometimes.
I'll take the Sakura Taisen 1-4 on saturn or DC.Maybe part 5 on PS2.

Steambot Chronicles was decent.It felt a lot like Megaman Legends in the way the game engine ran.(that's good).The music part in Steambot was cheesy as hell though(that's bad).This PSP spin off sounds decent.

I'm probably the only hardcore fan that really disliked Valkyrie Profile.It was too slow,had weak tactics and still has a toddler of a battle system.Wait,that's probably why everyone liked it. Very Happy Hey now,don't worry about it.I still own the double disc PSX version from when it first came out.I support your dirty habit.I don't hate it.It just won't get any praise (like everyone else loves to give it) from this corner.Though I'll probably be rockin this new one on the DS,man.Can't resist any JRPG. Laughing

I think I'm gonna grab Soul Eater on the Wii as well.While it does look like more of the same,if you scout around for some pics you'll see that it's a third person adventure and not the common (easy way out,IMO) visual novel.Whatever,throw it into the collection.The Haruhi Wii game? Not so much.

Sequel to the 360 Naruto game? Great.Rise of a ninja was fun,but too short and too easy( the actual game not the ramen missions).I'll take more of that.Todd mentioned it and I do thank Ubisoft to.....get the hell away from the beginning of Naruto,catch up with the rest of the world,bastards.Move away from Haku and Zabuza.

NANASHI NO GAME :I just tried this game the other day.Here are some screens of it. You start the game,name yourself,are given a tired background of a Highschool then you get to mess around with a Japanese NDS Bios (Menu screen),followed by a trip around an old Final Fantasy sprite filled town (talk to sages to leave) sticks you back in the classroom and then you get to move.The 3D scrolling/movement is fun.I haven't played enough of it yet to see if there is anything scary. Shocked

I picked up Ghost in the Shell for PSX back in Nov 97.Fun game.The graphic engine ran pretty well too.(it was like crusin on a sphere or like the Sonic the hedgehog 3 bonus stage more or less)I liked it.Short though.I had the GN,had the wallscrolls,had the action figures,had the VHS tape and the playstation game,man I was set back then.Movin on.

Off-Topic:I just ran through Blood Will Tell/Dororo the other day.Bought the game when it came out and unfortunately whipped it into the PS2 collection(forgot about it).The guy who drew Blade of the immortal;Samura Hiroaki did the illustrations,revamping Tezuka's artwork and making it look way more mature.It turned out to be a really fun title.Predictable but fun.Switching roles kind of like in Shadow of Rome.I always wanted to be Agrippa/Hayakkimaru not the useless Octavius/Dororo.Overall Dororo is a great story and I like the extra's they added for the game.I'm sad Tezuka never finished manga.He truly innovated so many thing I've seen growing up.

GATSU wrote:
Speaking of Shirow, I'm surprised you haven't covered Horned Owl.
Project:Horned Owl. I'm sure Shirow never wants to mention that game again. Mad On the other hand,crappy rail shooters,eh?
I'll raise you an Elemental Gearbolt. Shocked
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:21 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun: I consider Dororo to be the only reason to own a PS2, but someone else disagrees with me on that one.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:40 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Shadowrun: I consider Dororo to be the only reason to own a PS2, but someone else disagrees with me on that one.
Who in their right mind could possible disagree with that? Doubt they got all 48 parts.I cut work just to finish the game.I was hooked.Now I await the manga and I'm addicted to the 2nd intro to the 1968 T.V. series.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It almost works against the Naruto style, as the straight-from-the-anime characters appear a bit too simple amid the lushly detailed forests and cities.
I hope that's a "Hey Ubisoft! Fix that before release." and not a, "Hey Ubisoft! That Narurto game looks awful." I already heard of couple of those comments floating around, even on video sites when the footage wasn't that sharp to start. Outside of picking on the graphics, the gameplay looks fun and I love the song that went with the trailer.

At least that Ghost in the Shell is a lot better then the one on the Playstation 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:56 am Reply with quote
Ataru: Most games are better on the PS1 than PS2. If the latter system didn't have a DVD add-on, Car-Jacking to the Best of the 80s, and Final Fantasy Disney, it'd have probably suffered the same fate as the PSP and PS3.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:57 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ataru: Most games are better on the PS1 than PS2. If the latter system didn't have a DVD add-on, Car-Jacking to the Best of the 80s, and Final Fantasy Disney, it'd have probably suffered the same fate as the PSP and PS3.

Yeah, cause Metal Gear Solid, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Gran Turismo, Xenosaga, God of War, Prince of Persia, and Okami were all terrible games. I can't believe the PS2 survived launch week! Rolling Eyes
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:17 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I loved "Steambot Chronicles", despite my concerns about the title (yeah, "Bumpy Trot" isn't going to fly with the GTA crowd, but "Steambot" is just plain wrong because these vehicles are powered by gasoline, not steam!). It's not just a mech-fighting, rhythm action, sandbox RPG... it's also got a dating sim thrown in for good measure. Great to see that the series remains viable in Japan, and hopefully future installments will make their way over here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3