• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli Influences Kung Fu Panda, Clone Wars, Pixar's Up

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:56 am Reply with quote
Oh, and Hellboy 2 used the ending for Princess Mononoke in one of its fight scenes.
hara

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quote
Western world really makes you believe that Miyazaki is the only Japanese artist of animation industry xD
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:49 am Reply with quote
hara wrote:
Western world really makes you believe that Miyazaki is the only Japanese artist of animation industry xD

That's mainly why I tend not to like his works. When Howl's Moving Castle was released I remember BBC presenters essentially giving him the critical equivalent of fellatio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:24 am Reply with quote
In Pixar's defense, they were pleasuring themselves to Miyazaki before it was cool to do so.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
In Pixar's defense, they were pleasuring themselves to Miyazaki before it was cool to do so.

If Mr. Lasseter's "Hi I'm John Lasseter and I'm trying to get legally married to Spirited Away" blurbs before every Ghibli DVD are any indication.

It's interesting to see what all of these different groups and people got out of Ghibli's works, and how it reflects their own work. I can definitely see Pixar's love for easter eggs and constant detail being reflected. I don't particularly get the Kung-Fu Panda thing, though. DW trying to be Disney/Pixar again?

(ninja-edited for something silly)
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:47 am Reply with quote
Hayao Miyazaki's numerous admirers at Disney and Pixar date back to the 1980s and the 1990s.

And Miyazaki has many fans elsewhere in the animation and non-animation entertainment fields.

In a Critical Eye exclusive interview dated May 17, 1999, Paul Dini (Batman: The Animated Series) confesses that while he does not love Japanese animation (anime) in general the way he loves old classic Warner Bros. animation and Disney animation from the 1940s, he does love the animated movies of Hayao Miyazaki, which he says are "beautiful" and driven by "the emotional heart." He loves the way they are paced, he loves the way they sound, he loves the way they look.

Dini thinks Miyazaki is "terrific" and "phenomenal," a filmmaker who "transcends live-action and animation."
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:59 am Reply with quote
Siegel: That's bull. If Dini didn't love anime, he wouldn't borrow from Akira so much.
braves

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Siegel: That's bull. If Dini didn't love anime, he wouldn't borrow from Akira so much.

Er...Dini said that he didn't like anime in general (meaning there may be exceptions) in comparison to other types of animation. In this case, old Warner Bros. animation and Disney animation.

Also, Akira pays homage (or one might call it "borrowing") to American comics, not the other way around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
braves: Actually, it pays homage to American cinema.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Tell Paul Dini that, not me.

Quote:
Paul Dini: I don't watch everything that comes out of Japanese animation. For me personally, it's not the most aesthetically pleasing style for me to look at. It's just a thing for me personally. It all tends to run together: big robots, Bambi-eyed superhero-type characters. Most of the stuff that's Japanese action/adventure, I've seen a fair amount of it, but I don't love it the way that I love old classic Warner Bros. or Disney stuff from the '40s.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1