• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Viz Media Previews Dramatic New Manga Titles Set for Release in 2009

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
I was kinda hoping 'Boys would be priced the same as Monster and that only Pluto would be $12.99, but I'll try them both out eventually. Also, Ikigami sounds like a Gantz wannabe...
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Viz could have done better at picking out manga. Pluto sounds intersting, but I'm into other manga, and I am not particularly into Naoki Urasawa either. Other than those two, the rest of the manga that Viz will be releasing sounds silly. The shojo manga I'm sticking with is Fushigi Yugi.
I only wish, out of all the new releasese next year, they would have licensed the Outlaw Star manga.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
Viz could have done better at picking out manga. Pluto sounds intersting, but I'm into other manga, and I am not particularly into Naoki Urasawa either. Other than those two, the rest of the manga that Viz will be releasing sounds silly. The shojo manga I'm sticking with is Fushigi Yugi.
I only wish, out of all the new releasese next year, they would have licensed the Outlaw Star manga.

I swear I remember hearing that Viz licensed Outlaw Star several years ago, but then they never actually released it! I could be wrong though.

Also, even if you don't like Monster...you should really check out 20th Century Boys and Pluto(especially if you're an Astro Boy fan). They really aren't exaggerating about how good they are.
I'm also super excited about Dogs, but I'm really hoping they'll be releasing Dog: Bullets & Carnage as well. Since they're calling this Prelude/Volume 0, I'm assuming that's a sign they'll release the rest. But considering that there's only 3 volume of Bullets & Carnage (four if you count Volume 0), I'm sure they'll release the volumes rather slowly. I don't mind longer waits between volumes when I know that it isn't that far behind the Japanese release. It's a great action series and well worth the wait. I've been wanting them to bring more Ultra Jump stuff for a long time now, and this was at the top of my list. Now if they'll just release Cloth Road, Kokoku no Shugosha, or Steel Ball Run, I'll be an even happier camper.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Also, even if you don't like Monster...you should really check out 20th Century Boys and Pluto(especially if you're an Astro Boy fan). They really aren't exaggerating about how good they are.

They are when considering what happens after the second arc in 20th Century Boys ends. (But people should still check out that and Pluto -- which is probably the most consistent manga Urasawa's done -- anyhow.)

Ikigami has a somewhat interesting premise (Gantz, Gatsu!?), but having ran in Young Sunday doesn't really invite me to check it out.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:

I swear I remember hearing that Viz licensed Outlaw Star several years ago, but then they never actually released it! I could be wrong though.

I'm also super excited about Dogs, but I'm really hoping they'll be releasing Dog: Bullets & Carnage as well. Since they're calling this Prelude/Volume 0, I'm assuming that's a sign they'll release the rest. But considering that there's only 3 volume of Bullets & Carnage (four if you count Volume 0), I'm sure they'll release the volumes rather slowly. I don't mind longer waits between volumes when I know that it isn't that far behind the Japanese release. It's a great action series and well worth the wait. I've been wanting them to bring more Ultra Jump stuff for a long time now, and this was at the top of my list. Now if they'll just release Cloth Road, Kokoku no Shugosha, or Steel Ball Run, I'll be an even happier camper.

I had heard that too, but I guess Viz didn't license Outlaw Star after all.
Pluto does sound interesting, I suppose I could borrow it, and if I like it buy it, same for 20th Century Boys.
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
Ok, I know I'm bringing up yesterday's news but I just have to shout "Otooooooomeeeen"!! Yayyy! Prayers have been answered. I've been hungrily looking at the books in Kinokuniya coincidentally last Friday. I could buy them but translating them would take too long.

And I haven't checked out the scanlations of the manga for awhile but oh well. Hmmm.. 07 Ghost, check. Nabari No Ou, check. Next would be Double Arts but that probably won't be for a long time that it'll be picked up by anyone. *sighs*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1