• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-08-08]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree that the biggest mistake has been overflooding the market. Now, being more of a manga person it seems to me that manga might have done this more, but I really don't know. Certainly we've seen two companies have a lot of issues because they are putting too much manga series out there (ADV and TokyoPop) which hasn't necessarily been the case with anime.

And that sounds like one very happy bunny. It's amazing how much we spoil our pets (and don't spoil ourselves).
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Either that or I'm just used to it now and it doesn't bother me anymore so I don't perceive it as a problem.

I think it is this one. I mean just in the last month or so, how many times has it been brought up in forums? How many times had it been brought up by Answerman and answerfans? I think I agree it is becoming subset, but I am not sure about the dying down part. It just seems hard to read any sort of thread(anywhere) that is over two pages that someone doesn't invariably bring it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear...I love me some Dr. Horrible. (Btw...am I the only Whedon fan that...you know, DOESN'T really like Buffy all that much...? Shocked )

And speaking of anime musicals...am I the only one who sees a musical in Excel Saga? It's just the sort of twisted, weird demented nonsense that can easily merit an equally nonsensical, fun musical...
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
To the Joss Whedon guy: Watch Firefly. It's pretty much Outlaw Star according to him.

Easy answer to Answerfans this week: Fans feeling they're entitled to free anime.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
There was a time when I actually tried to figure out if Buffy or Devil Hunter Yohko came first. I have been suspicious of certain fantasy shows maybe having a closet anime fan among the staff. I remember that one with Treat Williams actually wrote the boy liking anime.

The god characters arc of Saiyuki was filler. This was pointed out by the studio in Newtype USA articles. THe 3 characters were made to mirror the main team (with Goku being Goku because he was their object). THe problem with Saiyuki is it's really popular, but she's really slow/drawn out/whatever. The Hazel plot is STILL running in the manga in Japan (per the Zero-Sum I picked up last month) resulting in a lot of filler for Saiyuki

Anime musicals are just so...weird of an idea. Really musicals in the US are not as common as they were once, right? Gravitation pushed the music industry side of the story to the point of hiring a real band to do the music. Full Moon as Zac said, the countless Idol titles like ...my mind is blanking it out--something-Triangle? (I hate all that idol stuff). We even saw that idol wp in Blue Seed. And we got Misa Misa in Death Note. I don't know it the VA released anything in cross-promotion, but I wouldn't put it past Japan.

And you have stuff like Bleach where the VA's make music CD's to promote the anime. I seem to recall seeing a series of cd's for Haruhi. Angelique seems to have its share of cds. Saiyuki also. So they approach it more in the old 60's & 70's style tv here where we'd see Richard Chamberlain (Dr Kildare!) or David Soul (Starsky & Hutch) release a record. I do know Fushigi Yuki brought a certain amount of those character singles into the anime as background (THe Hotohori montage comes to mind)
34DD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Long time reader of your article and I've always wanted to comment on something, but never did. But the moe topic has always intrigued me.

During the days moe anime/fandom was rampant, I hated it. I thought it was poison that was killing anime. I almost went a year without watching any anime because there was just too much of it, and anime forums were just overflowing with people gushing over it. It seriously got on my nerves to the point where I almost gave up on anime entirely. After a while, I started to embrace the genre, and right now love it. While I believe most moe shows are all generic and plain, they are anime that you can just relax and watch without having to think too much. I also believe this "moe" phase of anime we are going through will eventually pass, as it kind of is. I remember a few years back when there were a ton of harem anime, and before that a ton of mecha anime. Eventually the Japanese will grow tired of it, and there will be a new genre that dominates the anime industry for a few years.(maybe psychological sci-fi thrillers?.. though that's pushing it) Eventually people have got to get tired of the tsundere loli(though I can only name two >.>), or whatever overused character types there are. Your answerfan question kind of relates to my response. Anime fans that go TOO crazy over a certain anime series are the worst. I stay away from anime forums too avoid these fans because they are just too crazy. Haruhi fans saying: "SHE IS GOD!!!" "The SERIES IS PURE WIN" and their other antics or One Piece fans that went crazy over people that watched the 4kids version. if someone hated it, they will blame 4kids. And while it is true that they did ruin the series, don't you also think that maybe there are some other factors into why some may hate it? some people don't like pirates. some may think it looks too silly. etc.... anime fans for certain series just go way too far and need to chill.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
There is actually a few series I have found to be quite enjoyable even when they have hints of moe in their shows. Battle Programmer Shirase for one, and Moetan for the other. I think the issue is that some people are misinformed and assume that moe and loli are the same thing, which technically it is not.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Anime musicals are just so...weird of an idea.

Dude. Geek culture (anime, comics, whatever) is the new Pop Culture. And this new generation has proven time and time again...that it tends to appreciate and like really weird crap! You're right, it IS weird of an idea. That's why it's crazy enough to work.
Splitter wrote:
To the Joss Whedon guy: Watch Firefly. It's pretty much Outlaw Star according to him.

Talkin' to me? :< I did watch Firefly...loved the hell out of it. Anime hyper
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

I don't know about that. I mean, it didn't seem like such a bad idea to make a musical about a guy slashing people's throats while he was singing in an upbeat tune, whilst they were grind into meat.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
The problem with moe is the same as the problem with the harem genre: it's a lot of the same thing. Once you've watched one or two of those shows, you've seen all of them, and once you've seen enough, it's annoying to see so many other similar titles flooding the market. My advice would be to simply ignore it, because there are probably people out there who either haven't had their fill yet, or have some strange addiction to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
I do agree with the Answerfan who felt that much of the R1's current troubles were largely out of their control. There's only so much the R1 industry can do to combat piracy/fansubs with the budget they operate under; hell, there's still at least some degree of debate in some sectors as to how much the latter helps/hurts R1 sales, depending on what sort of series you're talking about. Issues like streaming rights, Blu-Ray licenses, ad-supported same-day subs, and release schedules are largely decided by the powers that be on the Japanese side of things, so even well-intentioned R1 distributors can run into trouble. The writer also mentioned the over-inflation of licensing fees (although R1 competition did contribute to this, I think), which drove acquisition prices through the roof for shows that had no hope of becoming the next DBZ. I'd also agree that, if the R1 industry can be blamed for anything, it's for overextending themselves in the early part of this decade and flooding the market with all sorts of niche series. I'm sure there's one or two titles I own and love that'd fit into this category, but in the end, it seems to be what led Geneon and ADV to their current situations.

As for what I hate about anime fandom today...well, where to begin. Razz Maybe I'll just leave it at "people who fit the stereotypical definition of weeaboo."
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

And you have stuff like Bleach where the VA's make music CD's to promote the anime. I seem to recall seeing a series of cd's for Haruhi. Angelique seems to have its share of cds. Saiyuki also. So they approach it more in the old 60's & 70's style tv here where we'd see Richard Chamberlain (Dr Kildare!) or David Soul (Starsky & Hutch) release a record. I do know Fushigi Yuki brought a certain amount of those character singles into the anime as background (THe Hotohori montage comes to mind)

There are also cases where not only will the seiyuu do character singles or whatever, but they'll also sing the insert songs actually used in the show. Shaman King is one of the shows that did this; it was both awesome and hysterical because they made those ladies sing whether they were capable of it or not. Sure, you had the very talented Hayashibara Megumi, Paku Romi, and Mizuki Nana on board, but then there was poor Satou Yuuko who, while not exactly the most pleasant vocalist of the lot, at least deserves an A for effort. Don't get me wrong, she's one of my favorite seiyuu and she totally *nailed* her role in the anime, but Silent Weapon is one of those so-painful-it's-good songs that I keep around out of nostalgia.

Still, when you take into account the amount of image songs, character albums, and inserts that are created for some series, I don't think that a musical would be too much to ask if it were only a thirteen episode affair. It all depends on the composer and the cast involved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

I don't know about that. I mean, it didn't seem like such a bad idea to make a musical about a guy slashing people's throats while he was singing in an upbeat tune, whilst they were grind into meat.

Actually, while I understand a whole heap of people just got introduced to Sweeney Todd, the fact is...it's a classic. A famous Broadway performance.

So...it's prolly not the best example in this... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Anath_19

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

Actually, while I understand a whole heap of people just got introduced to Sweeney Todd, the fact is...it's a classic. A famous Broadway performance.

So...it's prolly not the best example in this... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

It could help that I don't know much about Broadway musicals, but it seems even more odd to me to have a Broadway musical about upbeat singing mixed with grinding people into meat rather than it just being a movie.

Regardless, the idea by itself is still pretty darn weird.
psygremlin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:00 am Reply with quote
I just thought it's worth mentioning that your Flake of the Week pic is a perfect example of Anatidaephobia — the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5