• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Namco Bandai Reports 66% Drop in Q1 Profit

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
That doesn't sound good. It's a shame because they put out a lot of great titles...
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I still say that HD won. Nobody I know of has a BluRay anything - and nobody is jumping to buy one either. A recent poll done a few days ago shows that only 2% of people out there have BluRay players - 2%!!! That's NOTHING!!! In the meantime, 12% of people have HD DVD players... HD DVD won the battle but lost the war - unreal.

Anyways, that's a HUGE loss for Bandai. Now I know why they did their restructuring so quickly out of the blue like they did.
GW-9800

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
That's funny because I know more people with bluray players than people with HD DVD players.

Anyway, seeing the reasons they give for the losses, things start making sense. Hopefully, Q2 will be better.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
i hope that they dont can dvds like so many other did
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
as the article stated, this is Namco Bandai; meaning these losses were on the merchandising/gaming front, not anime.
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
If only they would release Idol M@ster internationally I could see all of these problems just go away.

Well, not really, but they should anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
A recent poll done a few days ago shows that only 2% of people out there have BluRay players - 2%!!! That's NOTHING!!! In the meantime, 12% of people have HD DVD players... HD DVD won the battle but lost the war - unreal.

In the US maybe, but HD DVD sales in the rest of the world were laughable and completely dwarfed by BluRay sales. I also imagine the HD DVD numbers were padded by people who picked up an HD DVD player at firesale prices after the format war ended to be used as an upscaling DVD player.
melonbread

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
My view is that this is just an interim phase for a lot of things, so I'm not worried to be honest.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Namco Bandai president Takeo Takasu attributed the loss to a slump in DVD sales, as the Namco Bandai group companies waited for the end of the high-definition disc format war before shifting more resources to Blu-ray Disc.

Am I right to assume this is exclusively the fault of the unpopular new formats and not the fans themselves?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Batman3777

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
This is a result of a slowing global economy (fewer toy/merchandising sales) and the format war coming to an end. There is no need for any "the sky is falling" type of worry here, which is why Namco Bandai has not changed it's total-year projections. I am not worried. If the drop is the same for the second quarter, I might be a bit concerned, but I don't think things will actually improve until Q3 at the soonest. Q4 should do well due to holiday shopping.

Last edited by Batman3777 on Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
I still say that HD won. Nobody I know of has a BluRay anything - and nobody is jumping to buy one either. A recent poll done a few days ago shows that only 2% of people out there have BluRay players - 2%!!! That's NOTHING!!! In the meantime, 12% of people have HD DVD players... HD DVD won the battle but lost the war - unreal.

What a bunch of bs. According to Nielsen Videoscan The market was 94% Blu-ray and 6% HD DVD as of late April when they decided not continue displaying HD DVD numbers. I enjoyed both formats throughout 2006-08 and I've mentioned it to you on many occasions that there is no difference in video and audio codecs between the two formats despite your unbacked claims. The main difference was the 2:1 sales of Blu-ray to HD DVD sales throughout most of 2007 and the split studio support.

Quote:
12% of people have HD DVD players...
This is completely ridiculous. I think you, Zac, Daxomni and myself are the only regular posters who own HD DVD players! Even if there are a few others the number is no way near 12%. Please show us links to these outrageous claims or stop making up numbers.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:

I own a HD-DVD player, but I got it for $20. $20 is a tremendous difference to the $300-$400+ for a Blu-Ray playable device.

For Bandai, maybe this was the partially a result of Eternal Sonata's lack of sucess? I saw a lot of ads for that game on channels that weren't G4 or Spike at 2:00AM. I also would suspect the dwindling arcade market in Japan is only hurting them more and more every month. It also doesn't help that none of their recent toylines have exactly been hot.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:

Oh lord, not this load of crap again. You just can't resist, can you? Here's the president of Toshiba's answer to how many HD-DVD players were sold total, worldwide:

Q: How many HD DVD players and recorders, exactly, did you sell?
A: 600,000 players in the US and 300,000 Xbox 360 HD DVD drives. 100,000 units were sold in Europe. And about 10,000 players and 20,000 recorders in Japan. So about 1,030,000 units worldwide.

(from http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/19/live-from-toshibas-hd-dvd-press-conference-in-tokyo/)
I hope the president of Toshiba is a sufficiently trustworthy source on this matter. I don't know, maybe he's a Sony spy.

Meanwhile, about 15 million PS3 systems have sold, all of which are blu-ray players (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Sales_and_production_costs). Standalone player statistics are harder to come by, with the numbers being somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 million worldwide.

Okay, sorry for the dose of reality. Please return to HD-DVD fantasy land.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
The April market was just boosted by the BluRay giveaways...

What are the CURRENT Neilsen VideoScan figures?

Heh... 3% of all video sales are of HD DVD or BluRay discs...

of which 80% of all sales are for HD DVD's...

Which means the "winner" BluRay is getting 0.6% of all current sales.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
That is a huge drop, considering it is the first quarter. Less business in the arcades is a problem, because I am a fan of arcades, especially when there is a heck of lot more of them where I went in Japan versus the area where I live right now. And might I ask why we are calling it Namco Bandai when the logo says Bandai Namco?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2