• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network launches "Miguzi" block

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, hopefully Toonami becoming "more teen oriented" will mean that the absolute stranglehold they have on content and the utterly inconsistent editing will take a step or two down by the time Gundam SEED shows up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:26 pm Reply with quote
One can hope, nagisa. On the other hand, it seems now that Cartoon Network may be veering away from the teen market to target the li'l ones. I wonder why? Maybe Adult Swim is making a bigger impact on their ratings or something...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Please tell me that I'm not the only one who read that initially as "Mizugi"...

That promptly conjured up all sorts of very bad imagery in my mind, particularly given whom the block is aimed at. :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Mugi? Oo hahahah

I wanna see Dirty Pair Tv on CN!! That would be fun ^^
Bell02

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Well, hopefully Toonami becoming "more teen oriented" will mean that the absolute stranglehold they have on content and the utterly inconsistent editing will take a step or two down by the time Gundam SEED shows up.

I agree, hopefully they'll allow toonami to show at least TV-PG rated shows sometimes again.
Mou Kaoru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Miguzi? lol That's an odd name for a block geered towards children. I agree with Nagisa, I hope Gundam Seed will be given a more lenient treatment unlike some shows that were butchered. I see Kenshin will be part of the block as well. I wonder if CN will premiere the latter eps after Kyoto. Not that I would want them to because I can just see the whole Christian arc being heavily edited and everything after Kyoto was dull to begin with. Never seen Rave Masters; is that any good?
I just want my first viewing of GS to be a pleasant one. Anime smallmouth
Tsu-na-mi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:08 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Cookie"]Please tell me that I'm not the only one who read that initially as "Mizugi"...

That promptly conjured up all sorts of very bad imagery in my mind, particularly given whom the block is aimed at. :p[/quote]

No, you're not. Especially since the rest of the news item refers to it as 'Mizugi'. Only the headline uses the spelling 'Miguzi'.

For those who don't know WTF we are talking about, 'Mizugi' is japanese for 'swimsuit'.
Kokaku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Is this good TMNT or stupid TMNT?
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:04 pm Reply with quote
There's a tmnt series withthem being gay? That's news to me, seriously. I'd watch that!

Now then, it'll probably be the new series, the original has liek 6 season and the later ones really stunk. I mean they were piloting mecha and stuff, wtf? oO
arxane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:50 pm Reply with quote
A guy over at Toon Zone has some contacts within Williams Street, and apparently they're going to try and move Toonami into TV-PG territory...slowly. They emphasized that this change will not happen overnight. Things will only move slowly, much like how Adult Swim did when it first came out.

Remember the edits done to "Cowboy Bebop"? You know how Adult Swim shiftly slightly so that those kinds of edits are practically gone nowadays? Same things with Toonami. A TV-PG block will take time to develop; there's no sense in it pushing things at the outset and risk destroying itself there and then. Things take time.

The post with this info can be found here.
Mishi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so this Miguzi thing is taking the place of Toonami and Toonami is taking the place of SVES, right? I thought Adult Swim was moving to Saturdays? Or was someone just pulling my leg?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Toonami & Adult Swim Saturday go back-to-back, I believe. Toonami leads into Adult Swim, in other words.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mishi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Ah, ok. Coolness Very Happy
Vapors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Good to see Toonami is trying to make a comeback. I have not watched the weekday block for over a year now. Most of the shows just did not interest me. I remember when there was actual anticipation for all the new shows that Toonami was going to bring. Gundam Wing, Big O, Blue Sub No. 6, the continuations of the Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z seasons. But for the most part, the last two years I have only just yawned at the new schedules. But now that Toonami is leading into AS and with all the new shows their getting, there is reason to be excited about Toonami again.
Jkid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Remember, Cartoon Network is cable network, thus they can air anything they want to teenagers. If they want to, they can shows all the anime that CN will broadcast, uncut (except for the classic sexual explitives).

But if possible they would have to display an parental advisory stating that the shows are recommeded for persons 13 years of age.

Another question: Why CN decided to move Toonami to Saturday evenings, teenagers usally watch it during weekday afternoons since they have nothing that suit them maturely (That includes Disney Channel, sinc they broadcast reruns 95% of the time). Unless they found out that teenagers are fed up with seeing only reruns and the only thing they're seeing new is the comercials.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3