• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Threatening Japan's Comike with Grenade

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel_White_Wings

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:13 am Reply with quote
All this violence in the past couple months... it's so shocking and scary.

I'm hoping for happy times.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:33 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm fully behind any initiative to burn dojinshi. Grenades seem rather excessive though.

(Although I suppose there are some decent non-fanwank doshinji especially in Japan).
johjohz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote
the worst dojinshi is still better than naruto.

GO BOMB NARUTO IF YOU'RE READING THIS!!! love you guys Anime catgrin
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:41 am Reply with quote
Nothing's sacred anymore. What with the Akiba massacre a while ago, the man that threatened Nana Mizuki, and now threatening Comiket with a grenade? Geez.

All the Comiket attendees will have to go through baggage checks now, dannychoo.com says, and that will probably hold up the line like crazy.
(Granted, this man was only arrested, and he's not guilty yet of threatening...)
I think hundreds of thousands of otaku who will as a result have to get there either a lot earlier, or give up on the larger circle doujinshi are scarier than anything Razz
You don't want to tick them off.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
Do the Japanese call the convention komike? I always thought it was komiketo or komiketto.

Either way, it's nice to see the police snatching this guy, even though he was probably just looking for attention.
melonbread

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote
Otaku is getting an even worse name these days, it seems.
ani12

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote
No doubt he will be called an otaku, and the blame passed on to the rest of them.

By the way, isn't it Comiket, not Comike?
Onsokumaru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Do the Japanese call the convention komike

Yes they do. It's probably an abbreviation.
And what kind of sick twisted person wants to bomb Comike? Go bomb Vic or something.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote
So, what? Are these guys coordinating or something, doing this monthly? Please make it stop now. This is getting way out of hand.
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
Why is the article calling it Comike? Is adding that extra "t" really all that difficult?

I went to Komiket a couple of years ago, and for any who haven't been, it's insane. It's the largest gathering of manga and anime and all around Japanese entertainment fans in the country, and is really a sight to see. I've seen truly awesome Cosplayers and everyone is there for one reason: they're fans.

Sadly, Comiket has been in decline in recent years, and the lines were already long enough without security checks. This will only hurt the convention if the lines have to get even longer while security checks people's bags. And considering that people are carrying in suitcases to hold costumes and doujinshi and other supplies for the sellers, it's going to be a real test of the famous Japanese sense of patience.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
ani12 wrote:
By the way, isn't it Comiket, not Comike?

abynormal wrote:
Why is the article calling it Comike? Is adding that extra "t" really all that difficult?

Both abbreviations are used in Japan. Here, we used Comike in the quote of the threat because that is what was used in the actual alleged threat.
bleuster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
Maybe the organizers should consider having Comiket for each season if the number of attendees becomes too difficult to handle.

As for the treat, I don't know. I doubt it will ever happen, but since it's said that this has been going on since July you know it's out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote
Sunshines and rainbows. What a happy time we live in. Everybody huggles and snuggles strangers on the road. The homeless are ...not...homeless.

Seriously, If you think your title as an Otaku is tainted...just think Otacon! It's awesome to be an otaku!
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Onsokumaru wrote:
Takeyo wrote:
Do the Japanese call the convention komike

Yes they do. It's probably an abbreviation.
And what kind of sick twisted person wants to bomb Comike? Go bomb Vic or something.

Nobody should bomb anyone, and you are sick and twisted for saying this.

Now for my point:
Its weird that there were three men in Japan that have either threatened or actually done damage (like the Akihabara incident). I know that crime can happen anywhere, but I was under the impression that Japan had better control over their crime, and that stuff like this didn't happen. I guess what I am trying to say is, were these men who commited these crimes influenced? Were they mental people who needed psychiatry? Are they that and outcasts of society and could no longer take it? Was it all for attention? Either way, its good they were arrested.
Hayakubaka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Man this guy is stupid. He is willing to toss his life away to kill of a few otaku :/

And the even dumber part of this is that he actually exposes his plans to the public. Even though you never know if he just wanted to stop the event, or if he actuallywas serious.

Guess the world is filled with idiots after all Anime smallmouth
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3