• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Haruka Kanata

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to know I'm not the only one underwhelmed
by Black Lagoon.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I lol'd at the bunny girl story.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
There are seriously "panty flashes" of the kids in Kodomo no Jikan?

There were also panty flashes of that main character girl of Soul Eater in the first chapter (I just read it in Yen Plus). And she's what, 10? That was enough of a red flag to turn me away from that series, and Kodomo no Jikan has panty flashes from even younger kids...? That's just f'ed up.
Kimyo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
I'd totally read Kodomo no Jikan if it came to the US. The guys in that show are such bishies! I'd read it and daydream about being the main girl (Rin?), with that hottie teacher wrapped around my finger... Wink
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Ouch on Black Lagoon. My hopes were initiially high, but a B- does sound right given it is pulp. Delicious pulp, but pulp nonetheless.

Hurray for yet another ANN staff member being terrified of an 8-year-old lifting up her skirt. Seriously, are you guys just sheltered or afraid you like it? I'd think reviewers of your caliber would be able to read a manga without getting distracted by panty shots, but it looks like I was wrong.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:

There were also panty flashes of that main character girl of Soul Eater in the first chapter (I just read it in Yen Plus). And she's what, 10? That was enough of a red flag to turn me away from that series, and Kodomo no Jikan has panty flashes from even younger kids...? That's just f'ed up.

...If you are talking about Maka, I believe she's actually 15 or 16...

But people gotta start remembering, good and bad, there are dramatic differences in culture and unpleasantly enough, the whole loli thing is just... Something apparently not that bothersome to the japanese.

As horrible as this loli thing is to quite a few people here, I can say that there is stuff MUCH worse that is considered... How should I say...

Well, no, can't even think of the word. Point is, there's worse stuff out there existing in japan in terms of content that is published/created. By no means do we need to force ourselves to accept titles like Kodomo no Jikan, but we do have to realize, there's a lot worse **** there. I think we can at least stop making it a relevant topic. =/
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
I am sorry if this offends anyone but, just the fac that Kodoma was even created is absolutely REPLUSIVE. I've always respected you in the past Carlos, so I can somewhat understand your reasoning, but in another way, I can't.

Your descriptive reviews are usually always on the money (Kujibiki Unbalance, Gun Blaze West, several other manga series), so I am just surprized such a intellectial, brilant reviewer such as yourself would spend actual time reviewing such a title.

None the less though, you did create a well written article as usual.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

...If you are talking about Maka, I believe she's actually 15 or 16...

But people gotta start remembering, good and bad, there are dramatic differences in culture and unpleasantly enough, the whole loli thing is just... Something apparently not that bothersome to the japanese.

As horrible as this loli thing is to quite a few people here, I can say that there is stuff MUCH worse that is considered... How should I say...

Well, no, can't even think of the word. Point is, there's worse stuff out there existing in japan in terms of content that is published/created. By no means do we need to force ourselves to accept titles like Kodomo no Jikan, but we do have to realize, there's a lot worse **** there. I think we can at least stop making it a relevant topic. =/

Of course there's a lot worse. Just saying, I don't like it in my manga. It's corrupting, you know?

And Maka is supposed to be how old?! Haha, yeah right. That reminds me of those ecchi games that have obvious 10 year olds, but they're officially listed as being 18 years old, to avoid any potential problems. Haha, what a joke.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I am sorry if this offends anyone but, just the fac that Kodoma was even created is absolutely REPLUSIVE. I've always respected you in the past Carlos, so I can somewhat understand your reasoning, but in another way, I can't.

Your descriptive reviews are usually always on the money (Kujibiki Unbalance, Gun Blaze West, several other manga series), so I am just surprized such a intellectial, brilant reviewer such as yourself would spend actual time reviewing such a title.

I think the basic premise of Kodomo no Jikan could have made a kind of cute or heartfelt/entertaining story... But the way it was implemented, it's so obviously lolicon material, and I can't fathom how anyone could argue that it's not.

Edit: Improved sentence flow.

Last edited by Josh7289 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:44 am; edited 2 times in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
discussing Haruka wrote:
Wow, how bad of a series is this that 80% of Volume 2 doesn't even have anything to do with the main storyline?

And I was wondering why I was going what the h... so much with that volume.

I really hope that the next one is better.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
I'm really surprised that kodomo no jikan was reviewed. I even watched 2 episodes before I judged it so I don't really think I'm making an uninformed judgment when I say that that show was really tasteless. It could have been heartfelt and touching it and it could have been a sweet coming of age story about how to deal with your feelings it could have even been a funny parody of that character that always likes older guys. But it wasn't. We know it's lolicon and no one can argue it's not. Maka was 15? So was the 9 year old in popotan (another thing which I really think was tasteless.)

It seems that the black lagoon anime is given better reviews than the manga so should I just watch the anime?
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
I'm really surprised that kodomo no jikan was reviewed. I even watched 2 episodes before I judged it so I don't really think I'm making an uninformed judgment when I say that that show was really tasteless. It could have been heartfelt and touching it and it could have been a sweet coming of age story about how to deal with your feelings it could have even been a funny parody of that character that always likes older guys. But it wasn't. We know it's lolicon and no one can argue it's not. Maka was 15? So was the 9 year old in popotan (another thing which I really think was tasteless.)

Well, having seen the whole anime and having read the first volume of the manga, let me be the first to thank you for joining the masses and not even bothering to attempt to understand the story or the characters and assuming that the manga-ka is a pedophile.

KoJikan is actually quite touching if you give it half a chance. Though there are some out-there elements (Kuro's unnaturally strong attraction to Rin, Mimi's rack), Rin's story is less about wanting to bone sensei and more about finding someone who will love her for being her. She uses sex like a child who learns a new swear word and says it as much as he or she can to see the reaction of others. She has no idea what she's talking about; the implications or otherwise. Besides, it's foolish to call it lolicon. Aoki-sensei doesn't reciprocate Rin's romantic advances in the least.

I will agree with you on Popotan. That was tasteless.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:31 am Reply with quote
Maka might look a bit young in the manga series, but in the anime she definitely looks like 15/16 (they all look a bit older in fact). And the anime didn't even have a panty shot if I remember correctly. Soul Eater is a nice series, maybe give the anime a try Very Happy
And you can't go wrong with the Black Lagoon anime, I also think it's pretty identic to the manga. Since it's an action series, I suppose it's more fun in color, with movements and voices etc.

The girls in Kodomo no Jikan are actually 9 years old, so there's no way Maka would be 10 Anime hyper

Personally, I only looked at one volume of Kodomo no jikan and it seriously turned my stomach around.

Josh7289 wrote:

There is actually a lot more than just panty shots. The main girl is naked only in panties as soon as the 3rd page of the first chapter and she actually pulls down her panties to "blackmail" her teacher in that very same chapter as well Wink And this continues all the time, or actually it gets worse.

Quote:

Uhm, I wouldn't go that far. It might be not so bothersome to Japanese otakus, but I think most Japanese would be shocked looking at this series (but most simply don't know about it). At least that's my impression. Else the series wouldn't have been censored so much on TV.

Everybody will tell you that the series is actually a lot deeper, but personally I feel that you don't need that much fanservice to tell a serious and touching story about 9 year olds. v.v
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:52 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Maka was 15? So was the 9 year old in popotan (another thing which I really think was tasteless.)

Er, hold on a second. I was talking about Maka from Soul Eater, and I was just mentioning her panty shots in that manga. Really not at all a big deal (not like Kodomo no Jikan, at least). Just something I noticed and questioned...

maaya wrote:
Everybody will tell you that the series is actually a lot deeper, but personally I feel that you don't need that much fanservice to tell a serious and touching story about 9 year olds. v.v

Yeah, that's pretty much my view on it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

So it surprised you that he's doing his job and reviewing manga titles regardless of the stigma attached to them? You and others also may want to remember he works for ANN. Who's to say it was his choice but not in fact a title given to him to review? Regardless, if you want to fault the manga as it's not your cup of tea then do so. But giving the reviewer grief for doing his job objectively is rather shallow.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:06 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Hurray for yet another ANN staff member being terrified of an 8-year-old lifting up her skirt. Seriously, are you guys just sheltered or afraid you like it? I'd think reviewers of your caliber would be able to read a manga without getting distracted by panty shots, but it looks like I was wrong.

Jeez, what would have to say to please you? Hail it as the single greatest creation in the history of man? I really can't think how someone could possibly offer a more balanced and fair review. He explains that it does certainly have genuinely positive elements and explains what they are. He also points out that there is so much fanservice from little girls that it may seem like the primary focus. He doesn't ever draw a final conclusion about it. That seems like a pretty reasonable representation of the arguments of both sides to me. What more do you want?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5