• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Magic User's Club

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Aw, I love Maho Tsukai Tai. i luckily found the whole OAV at a half-price books store about 2 years ago. i've been in love ever since.

I'm glad to see one of my favorite shows featured. thank you for giving it some much needed publicity.
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
One of the first shows I picked up on DVD. It's still one of my favorites Smile Great pick!
fightncomet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I remember when I watched this RAW on VHS back in college. I was thrilled when it came out in DVD and bought it immediately! I, too, am glad that is classified as a treasure here on ANN!
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah Magic Users Club is very gorgeous. And it is the kind of show where a lot of us are saying, "where did stuff like this go" as well.

When I first saw this I thought it was kind of weird, but I couldn't stop watching. That feeling was quickly lost and couldn't wait to see what was next. Then when it was over I watched it again. In the end it is hard not to like this show, and you also have a feeling that some time and effort was put into just about every aspect of this show, from writting to animation. In other words, quality.

Quote:
For example, try to get some currently in high school to appreciate Animal House.

Maybe not high school, but I don't think that applies to college(that show is about college after all). At least the last time I was there, but maybe that is to far back nowdays.

Quote:
Like so many other anime comedies, Magic User's Club has plenty of pratfalls, jiggling boobs, and even someone to do the "evil anime chick" laugh. It's also got mecha, aliens, yaoi gags, cute girls, amazing animation... and intelligence. It's pure-hearted and accessible, and yet smart enough that even the most jaded fan would have a hard time disliking it.

QFT.
Truer words couldn't have been said.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
Mahou Tsukai Tai was one of the first releases I got on DVD R1, I still have it and I still love it Very Happy
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
His female protagonists are usually perky, maybe a bit clumsy, and are absolutely trying their hardest.

Aren't most female protagonists like that? "Ganbatte" and all that?

You seem to imply that there isn't a box set of this series...but I own one. Includes the TV series, too.
Tenchi Kaze

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
I had just recently bought the Magic Box set containing this OVA and the TV series (I actually liked the TV series too, thank you very much), and had been lamenting the fact that nobody remembers this lovely little show. Magic User's Club is my all-time favourite light-hearted anime. I'm so glad you decided to cover it. <3

Though I must say, the packaging for the full box set is SO crappy. The whole box just fell apart upon my first opening it. I have to keep all the discs in a DVD binder. *sigh*
larinon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
I also have the box set from when it came out, oh, five years ago or so. I'm glad to see you're giving it some attention again.

Does anyone remember the diary concept that they were supposedly considering at one point before they released the box? I was disappointed they didn't actually produce it, I thought it looked really cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
icepick314

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:52 am Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
I also have the box set from when it came out, oh, five years ago or so. I'm glad to see you're giving it some attention again.

Does anyone remember the diary concept that they were supposedly considering at one point before they released the box? I was disappointed they didn't actually produce it, I thought it looked really cool.

wow

i wish there was boxset like that...it sure looks pretty damm nice...

i also picked up original release waaay back when...i forgot about the series because of my size of the collection but i think i may go back just to see it again for nostalgia....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:00 am Reply with quote
Thank you so much for this! Since I've gotten into Princess Tutu, I've been trying to see Junichi Sato's other shows (after all, if he directed my favorite series he must have more to offer). Saw the first season of Kaleido Star, love it. I have the Pretear thinpack sitting on my shelf for when I finish DNAngel. But you know, I'd forgotten about Magic User's Club, even though some other Tutu fans had recommended it to me--I'm thrilled to hear it's still in print! It's going on my "to buy" list for sure!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote
Wow, what a crazy coincidence, I've had "I Wanna Do More" stuck in my head all night at work for no reason and then come home to see this! What are the chances?

Easily a favorite of mine as well. Got the OAVs on VHS and the rest of DVD. This was one of those transitional series for me where I started in one format and changed to another format later (Trigun is a random mix of DVD and VHS on my shelf Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop ). Great stuff, I've watched it through a few times and should probably add it to my imaginary "watch again soon" list.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
se37

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:33 am Reply with quote
Magic User's Club was in fact one of the very first anime DVD's I ever brought (I think I had less then 10 at that point) but I didn't care for it much. Then again, I watched the dub version and wasn't as open minded for anime as I am now. I only have the first DVD. If I see it at Suncoast (yes, I still have one Suncoast near me) I may have to pick up the second volume.

Ha, finishing up the DVD collection of a series 7 years later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
Ha! I recall watching that "silent opening" for the first time at a club showing almost nine or so years ago. My first thought was, "Who screwed up the audio?".

Then, the transition from an alien invasion to a cutesy, uplifting opening was one of the most jarring things I remembered.

On the surface, MTT! had ingredients I normally avoid watching (or even looking for) in my anime. But I couldn't help but cheer on for Sae and chuckle at a lot of what was happening. Also, the soundtrack, courtesy of Michiru Oshima, was excellent.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
I bought the first volume of this on VHS way back when it released, just because it came with a poster. At the time, I thought it was kinda average, but it grew on me a little more when I bought the DVD boxset and saw it again.

That dairy concept looks neat- although I suspect it would fall apart pretty quickly with use, which is probably why they didn't do it.
bci110

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
FINALLY! A Buried Treasure series that I actually own! Cool

But in lieu of the singles, I actually have the Magic Box collection that contains both the OAV and the TV series. I didn't finish watching the TV series yet but I've seen the OVA a few times and loved every minute of it. Sae's such a lovable character it's really hard to root against her (although while I do like Sae, my favorite character in the series is really Akane Anime smile + sweatdrop .)

Last edited by bci110 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3