• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do we categorize English dubbed non-U.S. release?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JulietMoppet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
Hi, I'm from the Philippines & my friends are voice actors who sometimes dub anime & non-anime in English but not for U.S. broadcast or release & just for local airing. There is a lot of confusion because sometimes it is credited in our local language Tagalog, even if it isn't, because it would be an error if we credited in the English version because it would be classified with the American version. Rolling Eyes How do we fix this? I've noticed a lot of errors regarding this, especially for the voice actor Charmaine Cordoviz (#15925). St.Tail was English dubbed for local broadcast, while the Great Dangaioh is in English for U.S. release, but they were both put under the Tagalog version which is incorrect. Please help. Thanks! Laughing [/b]
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:58 am Reply with quote
We've been discussing new locale system(s) to reflect multiple languages in one country/region and the other way around (same language in multiple countries/regions), but no exact schedule for implementing it to the Encyclopedia yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
You're not alone. It's bad enough us spanish speaking contributors are stuck putting Latin America and Spain spanish dubs together (which go separately because we mutually don't like the dubs of the other side of the continent so we get at least 2 dubs to make fans of Europe and of the Americas happy); now a lot of contributors from Spain are putting anime dubbed in languages that are "similar" to spanish but aren't spanish in there too!

Now we not only have Latin America and Spain spanish in there, but you'll now see a ton of Catalan, Valencian, Austurian and oh my, Basque in there as well (Basque has absolutely nothing to do with spanish, so putting Basque voice acting roles in a spanish slot makes no sense to me).

Whenever someone finds a solution to the multiple languages dub troubles, I and many users of ANN to find spanish voice credit infor will be greatful because it's getting very cluttered up over there.

To the filipino poster: Now that you're here, why not ask your voice actor friends if they could supply photographs and information about themselves to add to the encyclopedia?

The link below is of a mexican voice actor that personally supplied most of the info on his page and updates it everytime he does a new anime related role:

person#23442

There's no better source of voice acting credits than the person that did the roles. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1