• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hai Fidelity - Anime Toonz, volume IV

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
I've... Really gotta agree, I've never heard such... unpleasant re-workings of anime themes and what was done to Sorairo Days is just... unnecessary.

Go download iTunes and listen to the 30 second sample and tell me I am wrong. Sorairo Days does not need a remix, it doesn't need a dance mix, it doesn't need an anything mix.

And if you want some good dance mixes of the Lucky Star theme, try the remix albums,. I believe there's at least one or two over the albums that make for a good dance type beat.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
"DJ remixed anime songs" huh. This looks like a great excuse to put words like "dj" and "anime" on a pseudo-trendy box, slap in a mediocre CD, and sell it for... more than free. As an anime fan, this entire thing is just not what I am looking for. This seems misplaced considering the kinds of things I want to listen to, a lot of companies still refuse to sell. I'd love to buy reasonably priced downloads/CDs of j-pop/rock artists and anime music, as well as even some of the dub music featured in some anime. Funimation, ADV, etc should maybe jump on the opportunity with itunes or amazon mp3 before some desperate anime fans "settle" for things like this.
redemption2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:30 am Reply with quote
My good friend DJ Jinnai was hired by Nemesis records to mix AniToonz 3. He always does a good job in his mixing and it was a hit, especially with Kristine Sa as the vocals.

However Nemesis went down the tubes, Kristine Sa went indie, and Jinnai is considering it. I wouldn't blame him after this disk, because he wasn't contracted to do the remixing like he was promised.

Farewell Nemesis Records, you fail.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:47 am Reply with quote
I actually casually came across the AnimeToonz stuff on iTunes the other day. Probably one of the worst things I've ever heard.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
A horrible album name for horrible remixes. Really did they take the idea for the album name from Kidz bop? Honestly don't spell things with Z's and spell the damn words right. Oh and most important don't destroy good songs by giving them remixes they don't need.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
To appreciate this album I think one needs truly to be a fan of eurotechno and anime both, but not so much of an anime fan that they feel that any non-original rendition of the OST is automatically a bad thing.

I actually fall into this category and checked out the CD on iTunes when they started advertising on ANN a while back (you can listen to the snippets here if you have iTunes).

Personally (not as a music reviewer, which I'm not), I'm not a fan of the happy hardcore genre, and most of the music on this album kinda falls close to that style.

I didn't buy any of them, but I think I might check out the entire versions of one or two of the songs. I like the music for Lonely Gorgeous, unfortunately the iTunes preview doesn't include any of the vocals, and I was amused by Koi no Mikuru Densetsu, which sounds more like the variety of eurotechno that I do like (eurotrance).

Like Rachael, I also like the second version of Michinaru Basho E, but I didn't particularly enjoy her two favorite pieces on the album, Inori You Raise Me Up and Sorairo Days, but I think that comes down to me not being a fan of the aforementioned happy hardcore style.

Anyways, I was really anxious to see what Rachel would think of this album (partially because they advertised on ANN, so I was wondering if I would have to apologize and re-explain that advertising does not affect editorial on ANN). It was interesting to read her thoughts on the music...
sykoeent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
Here's a link to better reworking of the Mikuru song... in METAL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVzSn9_823Y
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I've always thought that Koi no Mikuru Densetsu was a great tune. People who didn't like it couldn't hear it over the intentionally poor performance and production quality, but the song itself is so full of hooks, from the intro motif Mi mi mirakuru Mikurun run, to the verse, to the Come On Let's Dance chorus.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh man- I bought a copy of the first of this series years ago, without realizing it was remixed versions of the songs. I think we listened to 3/4 of a song in the car on the way home before ejecting the disc in disgust. I promptly dumped the disc on a friend the next day, telling her she could give it away/sell it/break it for all I cared, as long as she took it away.

It's sad to imagine these have sold well enough to make a series out of them.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:48 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Oh man- I bought a copy of the first of this series years ago, without realizing it was remixed versions of the songs. I think we listened to 3/4 of a song in the car on the way home before ejecting the disc in disgust. I promptly dumped the disc on a friend the next day, telling her she could give it away/sell it/break it for all I cared, as long as she took it away.

It's sad to imagine these have sold well enough to make a series out of them.

Ha ha, yeah I bought the first one years ago too. That was back when any time I saw something anime I was like "Yeah! Gotta get it!" I listen to it sometimes for nostalgia purposes, but its really not a good CD. But I'm tempted to get this one.... Sort of for the same reason I would be tempted to purchase a really bad horror movie.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Wow so much hatred for this album xD

Anyway, I listened to it on iTunes. I'd like to own it, personally. I enjoyed it enough but yes. Remix stuff is dicey territory and I'm not always happy with it. This effort seems a little pedestrian. I love the Heidi, Girl of the Alps mix though. Thats priceless. What prompts anyone to pick that song is beyond me but I love it - over the whole rest of the album.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1