• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-08-29]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
it's hard to explain why Eva would lose to Gurren Lagann without posting spoilers. suffice to say Gurren Lagann is WAY more powerful than people think. anyone that's seen the entire series know what i'm talking about.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, Batman does always win. DC's writers have been accused of making him "Bat God" in the past. Of course, Superman still whomped him hard when Maxwell Lord controlled old big blue. Left deep thumb imprints in him, even.

As for how much I think an episode of anime is worth, monetarily, it's at least worth as much as it is in Japan. We're fortunate to pay so little for anime in R1. Though you sort of have to factor in the quality and pace at which we recieve it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Woot DNC. I've been all over that all week. I'm glad I got to see a huge step of history in the making.

As for the Answerfans:

In short: the amount of enjoyment I take from it. If I laugh, and enjoy it immensely it gets bought as soon as it hits the shelf. If I like the show, but don't have the urge to see it again Ill pick it up when its on sale.

If I hate the show its worth nothing to me.

If you meant by price, right now I'm normally paying $4.24 to 5.30 an episode. Thats for subbed and dubbed. And a physical copy. And extras.
(Which companies have been skimping on lately. A clean OP/ED is nice, and some sketches but I'd rather not pay for just that. I want a commentary or two, or behind the scenes with the staff in the booth)

If I'm only paying for the episode itself only, I would rather pay no more than $1.50 especially if its only one format. For some releases if they were kept up to Japanese broadcast and released and I actually liked them (bleach, naruto, one piece) then i'd be willing to pay more. Only in those cases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Then there's Satoshi Kon, who has yet to release a film that couldn't be described as "great".

Tokyo Godfathers easily breaks that winning streak.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Cat looks pissed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
About twice as much as a song so $1.99. However I amnot willing to buy single episodes of any TV show american or japanese. I am a strictly season shopper.
Eos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one took the non-violent route for the Luffy vs Naruto scenario. I'd bet money both would rather go out for a heaping bowl of beef ramen then needlessly fight.

Aww, pissy campaign kitty. I think asking him about Barack would be pretty futile, he'd just give a grumpy meow.

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Then there's Satoshi Kon, who has yet to release a film that couldn't be described as "great".

Tokyo Godfathers easily breaks that winning streak.

Exactly, that one was "outstanding." Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Labbes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
it's hard to explain why Eva would lose to Gurren Lagann without posting spoilers. suffice to say Gurren Lagann is WAY more powerful than people think. anyone that's seen the entire series know what i'm talking about.

Gurren Lagann does not have an AT Field of itself (So essentially, it may have the power of 10000 N2 mines), but I also think it would win. It has drill power.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Couldn't be described as "great", but amazing when Paprika enters! Paprika is a great film, though confusing at times. I haven't seen his other films besides Perfect Blue, which is nice but not up there with the others.

Last edited by leftbehindxp on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Flake wrote:
Quote:
Que es tu en Answerman, nada? No si porque?.

Wow. In no way can that be considered remotely close to coherent Spanish.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote
lol Wait, was there really more to that Alexie MacPherson fanfic? I wanna read it! Laughing
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
KICKASS picture for the Flake of the week! Very Happy
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
To everyone who thinks that Gurren Lagann will beat Unit 01: you're wrong. Unit 01 could just revert Simon/Kamina/any human you name into spoiler[LCL], and I'd love to see the Gurren Lagann fight without a pilot. Besides, the only thing capable of penetrating a full-strength AT Field (like the one spoiler[Unit 01] had in episode spoiler[19]) is the Lance of Longinus. Last I heard, Gurren Lagann didn't have that particular weapon in it's arsenal.

This week's Answerfans question is very relevant to the Anime industry. I say NZ$5 (3.52059 USD). At the moment I'm paying anywhere from NZ$5 to NZ$10, depending on whether I get 6 to 3 episodes (respectively) on the DVD.

Kind of boring column this week. Where's the controversy?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Kind of boring column this week. Where's the controversy?

Sorry hang on just a second

one sec sorry just a moment

OK ahem uh LOLICON IS FOR CONVICTED CHILD MOLESTERS BLAH BA DE BLAAAHHRRRGGHH

Can I be done now? I'm in the middle of watching convention coverage.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
Does anyone really think Perfect Blue is great?

It's pretty good for one of those psyche-thriller murder mystery jobs, but great?

I was so bored and annoyed by The Girl Who Leapt Through Time that I turned it off halfway.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6