• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva:01 is Japan's #4 Selling DVD of 2008's 1st Half

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Now if only the EVA movie would be licensed and released over in the States. I highly doubt there's a lack of people willing to buy it here.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:
Now if only the EVA movie would be licensed and released over in the States. I highly doubt there's a lack of people willing to buy it here.

Recalling the expensive license fee for the original Eva films, it may be prohibitively expensive for NA anime companies right now, given the state of the industry.

"Brought out on April 25 at a retail cost of 5,985 yen (about US$56.10), the collector's edition set sold 263,395 copies in sales tracked by Oricon. 219,000 of those copies were sold in the first week of its release."

Wow, 83% of its sales in the first week, and just ~40,000 in 2 months since. Not much staying power. Then again, the collector's edition is made for fans, not the mainstream - and fans are the type who'd buy it in the first week.

Anyways, #1 is Transformers. Anime fans could claim it as their own, right? Laughing
(And many people thought that'd bomb; yet now it's #1 in Japan. What does that say about Japanese tastes....)
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
ADV better do everything in their power to keep this franchise. if they lose the EVA movies, it's curtains for them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:32 am Reply with quote
enurtsol: It says the Japanese fall for dumb movies just like everyone else.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
ADV better do everything in their power to keep this franchise. if they lose the EVA movies, it's curtains for them.

ADV already lost the Eva movies before - to Manga Ent.

GATSU wrote:

Then what does that say about the #4 Eva film and everyone else here? Laughing
DFBTG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:58 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
DFBTG wrote:

Recalling the expensive license fee for the original Eva films, it may be prohibitively expensive for NA anime companies right now, given the state of the industry.

Ah yes, that's right. You'd think that the Japanese companies would take that into consideration though. But then, I'm not them and know very little about business. Still, a kid can dream, right?
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

i thought that just applied to the first two. it applies to the new ones also?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
DFBTG wrote:

Ah yes, that's right. You'd think that the Japanese companies would take that into consideration though. But then, I'm not them and know very little about business. Still, a kid can dream, right?

As they say, I no problemo wid dat. Laughing

v1cious wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

i thought that just applied to the first two. it applies to the new ones also?

I'm just sayin' that it has happened before. Who knows about the new Eva movies....
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:04 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Then what does that say about the #4 Eva film and everyone else here? Laughing

Oh... you've left yourself so wide open for a retort. Laughing

Anyway, the standard edition of Eva was just released at the end of May. The die-hard fans had already purchased the special equipment edition, so I'm assuming the "trickle sales" went to the standard edition. It'd be interesting to see how the standard edition fares at the rental stores. I've never seen it in stock, and the special equipment edition wasn't released in rental format.
melonbread

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:43 am Reply with quote
To note: for such a extra-heavy release as the Eva 1.01 movie LE was, the price was phenomenally AWESOME. Things like that are usually priced several thousand yen higher than what the Eva 1.01 LE was, so I recommend people to go and import it if they can - it's still available (just).
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
I hope ADV gets this movie. It would their bank account out very well.
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
That set really is awesome. I hope we get something like it over here in little ol' Europe :]
crescendoll

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Now that Crows Zero is out on DVD in Japan, will we finally see its release stateside sometime soonish? I hope, I hope.
inu-liger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:59 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Sort of. They actually never had it to begin with, though they DID try to acquire them.

When I talked to Matt Greenfield about the original Eva movies last year, he said they showed the Japanese distributors a 'realistic' sales graph of sorts (can't recall the term atm) when they were trying to negotiate a licence, and the Japanese people basically didn't believe ADV that the 'low figures' were the actual realistic outlook on home video sales & revenue, so they decided to shop it around and Manga Entertainment ended up buying it for the higher fee that the Japanese licensprs wanted, but as it turned out, ADV's sales predictions became reality, and proved the Japanese execs wrong, and Manga LOST money instead of making money on the Eva movies initially (why do you think we haven't seen any Revival of Evangelion edit/remaster releases?). They've barely broke even since, if I am to understand right.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:14 am Reply with quote
bah, double post

Last edited by The Xenos on Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2