• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Bleach Wave 3 - Byakuya & Renji

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:39 am Reply with quote
Awesome. I saw these at FYE and was thinking of getting one or both. I also want to try to find Series One and get Ichigo and Rukia as well.

Also, (prepares to be flamed) I like some of Mattel's Naruto line. Sure, quite a few of the figures are hideous, but the ones I've got (Shikamaru, Choji, Gaara, Kakashi) are good-looking IMHO. Though, I do know something that Mattel is doing: THERE ARE NO FEMALE FIGURES! IIRC, there's not even a Sakura! So Kimmimaro, a one-shot villain, gets his own figure, but the third main character doesn't? Confused

I will agree, Mattel's One Piece figures were AWFUL. Best to stick with the Portrait of Pirates series.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:06 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Though, I do know something that Mattel is doing: THERE ARE NO FEMALE FIGURES! IIRC, there's not even a Sakura! So Kimmimaro, a one-shot villain, gets his own figure, but the third main character doesn't? Confused

"Female action figures don't sell" used to be the usual excuse with comics-based lines. Maybe someone higher up in Mattel still believes it.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
I work at Toys R Us and we actually do have a Sakura figure. But its a tiny 'collecting' figure. (You collect the whole set and you build a tree or something to pose them all on) I've been really tempted to get it, actually. It and a smiliar Kakashi figure have been sitting there underneath the ugly foam shuriken for ages. Laughing

I don't know whether or not its Mattel that makes them or not, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quote
I really like this column. It's a lot of fun to read.
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
Seems like Renji has that whole "looks dumb as hell, head on but quality from the side angle's" going on. Cant complain about that tho. Great review once again Very Happy
skyler25

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
Though, I do know something that Mattel is doing: THERE ARE NO FEMALE FIGURES! IIRC, there's not even a Sakura! So Kimmimaro, a one-shot villain, gets his own figure, but the third main character doesn't? Confused

"Female action figures don't sell" used to be the usual excuse with comics-based lines. Maybe someone higher up in Mattel still believes it.

That's funny. Everyone who read the article about the Mikuru Asahina figure knows that ones with squishy boobs do Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Faceman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
Is there a way you can get Astro Toy linked under the views section? It's not even showing up on the full column listing under the "and more..." link.

I was thinking about getting Renji, but with the lack of articulation, I don't really like the character enough to warrant it. Maybe they'll come out with an Ishida or Hitsugaya figure eventually.

Also Rob, any chance of reviewing the Bubblegum Crisis Priss with Motoslaves? http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=YAM10304&mode=retail
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
I wish someone would release a nice-looking (hell, even a simply decent( Ishida figure. I mean, so far he's pretty much the only "main" character who hasn't got a figure. Even Chad has one!

(Okay, there is one Ishida figure but that's not even halfway decent.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:

Yeah, except for tiny figurines as someones else said, American toymakers avoid female figurines even with kids shows with many female main characters like Digimon. (Then again, even on a kids show like Digimon, some of the female characters dress kinda............ kinky.)
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Fugly. Anime dazed
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Yeah, except for tiny figurines as someones else said, American toymakers avoid female figurines even with kids shows with many female main characters like Digimon. (Then again, even on a kids show like Digimon, some of the female characters dress kinda............ kinky.)

Bandai is a lot better about girl figures in American lines, probably because they're a Japanese company. They released several of the girls in their Teen Titans (at the time) and Ben 10 (Gwen anyway) lines and have done several female Digimon figures (kids and Digimon alike), and of course you can't have a Power Rangers line without female Rangers.

Then there's Mattel. The big problem with the Naruto line was the lack of regular female figures. They admitted that they only did the mini-figures to make people happy, that's why they either came with other figures or as part of the tree. Avatar suffered even worse with no female figures of any type at all. It is true that female figures don't sell as well, but for Mattel, the creator of Barbie, to claim that female figures don't sell at all is ridiculous. Even Hasbro still makes female Transformers and G.I.Joes, Playmates still releases the occasional April figure in their Ninja Turtle line, and ToyBiz (and currently Hasbro) give fair time to female superheroes in their comic book lines.

Japan is the complete opposite, they can't make enough female figures, to the point that often the male characters don't even make it into a line. Based on Evangelion figures you'd think that Shinji was just some minor character, he' easily outnumbered 20-1 compared to all of the Rei and Asuka figures out there (and that is not an exaggeration, it might even be a little generous to Shinji). You wont find many toy lines in Japan that don't include at least one female figure, but there are entire lines that are dedicated to just female figures (like Fraulein Revoltech, Konami's MMS series, BOME figures, and many, many, many gashapon and trading figure lines). Of course, Japan has a bigger figure collectors market as well and sex sells so it's not a huge surprise that these things exist.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Japan is the complete opposite, they can't make enough female figures, to the point that often the male characters don't even make it into a line. Based on Evangelion figures you'd think that Shinji was just some minor character, he' easily outnumbered 20-1 compared to all of the Rei and Asuka figures out there (and that is not an exaggeration, it might even be a little generous to Shinji). You wont find many toy lines in Japan that don't include at least one female figure, but there are entire lines that are dedicated to just female figures (like Fraulein Revoltech, Konami's MMS series, BOME figures, and many, many, many gashapon and trading figure lines). Of course, Japan has a bigger figure collectors market as well and sex sells so it's not a huge surprise that these things exist.

Tell me about it. I went to my first con this summer, and saw tons of Rei and Asuka figures, but no Shinji! Granted, I mainly wanted a Rei figure anyway, but I was still disappointed. Also, this weekend, I saw the Haruhi Suzumiya anime for the first time, and immediately looked afterwards for figures online. I was mainly looking for Yuki and Kyon, and found plenty of Yuki ones (planning on getting one with her witch costume), but only one Kyon figure! And I wasn't that crazy about his figure design. Sad And good luck finding figures of the guys from Gundam Seed.....

Oh well, at least they know how to do the big ones justice. There's a Kamina (Gurren Lagann) figure coming out in November, and the design is incredible (it has to be, Kamina's figure is meant to go "beyond the impossible")! It's insanely expensive, but it will be mine! Smile That being said, I am worried Simon might get ignored Shinji-style......
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just because I'm Canadian. But I really enjoyed Irwin Toy's (and it's off shoot, IF Labs) DragonBall Z originals. Their Goku was tremendously awesome, only downside is they inverted his hair some how... Doesn't matter though, Irwin was/is Canadian.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Hey Rob -

FYI, the Bleach Trading Card Game is made by Score Entertainment, NOT Upper Deck. Upper Deck makes Yu-Gi-Oh.

http://www.officialbleachtcg.com

Might want to change that Smile.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Yeah, Japan sells those to adult male collectors.
Figures are mainly sold to kids in America; shops won't think of selling those to adults.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2