• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Youka Nitta to Quit Manga Work, Back Catalog Pulled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
akiahara wrote:

It's sad, really. I do think she should be reprimanded, but leaving the industry entirely is extreme. I don't think this is an earth shattering scandal, though, and I think quitting, plus pulling the back catalog, is an overreaction.

I will not surprised if we hear later if she commit suicide later after this deadly mistake in her life like many Japanese that fail in their lifes.

Obviously, I don't desire her death, but it's not gonna be surprising if she take that route...
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quote
The only thing about all this that angers me is that she is quiting. I hope its not permanent. She has some good unfinished work.

Tbh I dont care if she traced or whatever. :/ I really dont care at all.
nzinga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She traced it, line for line.

That's not true in a single case. She changed women into men, and she changed the models into her characters. That change alone makes the works in question commentary instead of plagiarism.

The real shame of this case is Nitta does more original work than most, and all the people so eager to jump on the accusation bandwagon have seemingly never even looked into the context of her artwork. How can one of the mangaka on the high end of the originality scale end up in this situation?

I'm sure Nitta never had a second thought while she was doing it. Not because she was "inexperienced" in copyright issues, but because this approach enriched her work. It only became a problem because people seem to love commenting on superficial accusations instead of doing research themselves, so when some whack-job with a grudge cherry-picked a few "damning" photos, the rabid blogging crowd *made* it a problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4