• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dig For Fire: The Roots of Gurren Lagann

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
I don't really understand how it came about that the ganmen (original: ガンメン, from 顔面, "face") mechas came to be name "gunmen" in the English version. It looks to me like sloppy translation work. Is that it, or does someone have a better explanation -- say, that that was the official Gainax transliteration?

Yes, on the banner of its mecha introduction page, although the URL says otherwise.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
toddc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I'll always remember Yoh/You Yoshinari foremost as the co-designer of Valkyrie Profile's characters, but that's some nice robot-designin' he did for Gurren Lagann. He's also an excellent animator; he's worked on all sorts of Gainax shows, including FLCL and Evangelion, and he animated some of Gurren Lagann's biggest scenes. As the evidence shows, Yoshinari likes him some big ole explosions.

Nice article all around. Another interesting step that Hiroyuki Imaishi took on the way to Gurren Lagann is Trava, a short OVA that both Imaishi and Yoshinari worked on. You'll see a lot of Gurren's style in Trava's big finale.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
abunai wrote:
I don't really understand how it came about that the ganmen (original: ガンメン, from 顔面, "face") mechas came to be name "gunmen" in the English version. It looks to me like sloppy translation work. Is that it, or does someone have a better explanation -- say, that that was the official Gainax transliteration?

Yes, on the banner of its mecha introduction page, although the URL says otherwise.

*sigh*

I could say so many things... but... *sigh*

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki Nakashima deserves more respect, IMO. He is basically the creative mind behind Gurren-Lagann ridiculous yet layered narrative.

http://www.performingarts.jp/E/art_interview/0611/1.html
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Very nice article. Overall, it just gave a great overview of TTGL's background and inspirations (at least with respect to Gainax).

I still haven't watched my Gunbuster/Diebuster DVDs. I really need to get around to doing that.
lijachan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Ooh~
enjoyed reading that. :'3
Gurren-Lagann is ♥
Never watched GAINAX's other series before though.

Hmm...now I feel like watching Evangelion..
I'm prolly the only one who haven't watch this series in a language I could understand. D:
(Watched a few in French, but I was completely lost, so must go find English subs. :'o )

-runs off-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrendantheJedi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:00 am Reply with quote
Again, I do agree with some of the assesments in the article, but many things were oversimplified, mainly the section on the influences for the giant robots themselves. It really does seem like whoever wrote the article had little knowledge of the history of the mecha genre, outside of Eva, Gunbuster, and Gundam. Much of Gurren Lagann isn't a redefinition of mecha at all, but instead mainly the utlimate homage to mecha of the past, primarily the super robot genre which Gundam killed during the 80's and Gunbuster itself ressurrected. (Furthermore, Gundam is real robot BTW. Most Gundam mecha have limited operational times, just like EVA!!!!). Face in chest mecha include many of the Yusha robot shows, primarily GaoGaiGar comes to mind. If the mecha in GL are innovative at all, it is their implimentation, such motiff of fighting spirit powered mecha becoming much more or the use of Gimmy's pride in Mass Production cannon fodder mecha.
Guilhem

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:35 am Reply with quote
BrendantheJedi wrote:
Again, I do agree with some of the assesments in the article, but many things were oversimplified, mainly the section on the influences for the giant robots themselves. It really does seem like whoever wrote the article had little knowledge of the history of the mecha genre, outside of Eva, Gunbuster, and Gundam. Much of Gurren Lagann isn't a redefinition of mecha at all, but instead mainly the utlimate homage to mecha of the past, primarily the super robot genre which Gundam killed during the 80's and Gunbuster itself ressurrected. [...]

What I thought in reading this article, exactly...

Overally, it's an interesting (although short) study concerning the whole creative process behind Gurren Lagann and the background of the most important persons in the staff of the studio, but the various interpretations on some points look too much personnal to be of a real interest, all the more as they're very discussable

An instructive reading though: thanks for your hard work
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
FLCL + Abenobashi = TTGL?

I think maybe there's a sense of underestimation here... perhaps a better way to put it might be:

TTGL = An original but also retro collaboration of all the previous Gainax works.

Not counting stuff like Nadia but you get what I mean.

I mean really, saying it's FLCL and Abenobashi combined alone is just a bit to little, no offense to your opinion/belief mind you. TTGL really, to me, did a great job borrowing bits and pieces from a bunch of series and combining them into one gigantic supernova of an anime in terms of the level of energy and production put into it.

At least, I think that's why I enjoy it so much and have been playing Sorairo Days on repeat on my iPod for the past few weeks.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I do agree with the others saying that some of the surface level connections and analysis being made are extremely simple and limited, but I am glad to see an article like this around. To those of us who have gone out and really looked for this kind of info or already know of/seen these shows, it's pretty pedestrian, but for people who are just getting into the show or have already seen it and otherwise don't know that much about Gainax's background, it's nice that they can check ANN one day and see a primer like this to find out all that without having to do extensive searching. I am hoping to see more stuff like this - some more in-depth stuff here and there would be cool, but this kind of thing serves a great purpose.

I hope it encourages people to go out and track down, say, Gunbuster and Nadia. Good times.

On a side note, I remember when Gurren Lagann was first announced and one of the few images released at that point was the promo picture used on the first page of this article, I only saw the top part at first and thought this was a remake of Zambot 3. :B
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Not that I'm out to steal Jason's thunder or stump for ANN's competition, but Otaku USA did a very good article that examines TTGL with respect to the rest of the mecha genre, for those that wish to dig deeper.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
GAINAX once again reinvents the concept of the giant robot in Gurren Lagann thanks to innovative mecha designs by Yoh Yoshinori, whose previous GAINAX work includes the design of the mecha in The Melody of Oblivion and the gruesome monsters of This Ugly Yet Beautiful World

I know it's late, the ANN writer either misspelled or misread Yoh Yoshinari as Yoh Yoshinori.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2