• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - Dubs that Time Forgot (Part 2)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
Ah, Thundersub. Haven't seen the U.S. or UK English dub of Urusei Yatsura before, just Animax-Asia's and the Chinese version that was on Star Phoenix.
mewtwo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
I loved this! Thanks for posting it. The best part was the British dub of Urusei Yatsura.

Also, someone needs to make an animated GIF of the sheep moving its huge jaw back and forth.
Katsu Koneko

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:07 am Reply with quote
I've only seen the dub of the second Urusei Yatsura Movie.

Whoa...didn't know there were two dubs. xD
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Grandpa: Get your clothes.
Heidi: I don't need them!
Audience: *cracks up*
Mike Toole: Thanks, I didn't even think of that. You ruined it forever.

I laughed heartily.

If the Space Carrier Blue Noah/Thundersub segment isn't proof that Nishizaki ran out of ideas after Space Battleship Yamato, I don't know what is.

Great video.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bci110

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
Good stuff. Hopefully this will become a regular feature on ANNtv.

If you don't mind me asking, is ANNtv no longer going to be available on iTunes?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:23 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Mike show off some of the Ehrgeiz dub; it's not good by any means but it certainly isn't horrible.

Also, I seem to be the only person who's actually a fan of the show. Yes, judging by what is dubbed (i.e. the first 2 episodes) it seems like it goes nowhere, but when you watch the whole thing you see that some things, like the war the is happening, has absolutely no real importance to the story other than implications. The main story has pretty much no relation to the war and does the job well enough for the 12 episodes that the show is made up of.

To argue with Mike again I actually found the characters enjoyable and that, combined with the really nice music and interesting mech designs, is mostly what made me enjoy the show. I would love to see this show, just like Eat-Man, get license rescued and given a DVD release.

Not to mention that the opening he showed is done by HUMMING BIRD, which was lead by Yoshiki Fukyama who is now a member of JAM Project... Which means the song is badass.

But that's just my two cents.
rti9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:53 am Reply with quote
This great show made me dug up the Buried Treasure - Dubbed Songs FROM HELL!!!

So interesting to watch Urusei Yatsura with British accent. Weird that the issue of two English casts was recently addressed on the forum.

bci110 wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, is ANNtv no longer going to be available on iTunes?

The answer is here.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
I absolutely loved the British dub of Those Obnoxious Aliens or whatever the heck it was called. Freaking hilarious. Very Happy
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
I suspect my days off from work for the next few weeks will consist of seeing which of these shows I can get my own copies of- especially since I seem to have exhausted Wal-Mart's selection of old dubbed anime movies in the dollar bins when I finally found a copy of Panda and the Magic Serpent. Great stuff!!!
Mevious

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Great stuff, Mike. Thanks!

Watching these segments has inspired me to break out my VHS copy of Tank Police, or borrow my friend's copy of the Megaman dub.

Also, I find it a bit disturbing that anime fans can't watch an anime with a little girl without their minds going in the gutter.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I do not know when it happened, but the ANN viewer has stopped loading clips and shows for me. Strangely, it still loads and displays the ad that precedes the clip just fine.

Vista
Flash: 9,0,124,0
IE: 7.0.6001.18000

Gewürtztraminer
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
Strange. I dunno, it works for me. Maybe the CDN's base closest to you is having issues. Try back in a few hours, or tomorrow and PM me if you still have problems.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole, you are my new hero!!
petran79

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Really interesting to see how anime was back then. You really couldnt distinguish it from western cartoons since the Japanese were still influenced by the West and also by independent animation.

Now anime is more fragmented, specific and individualised. But only through TV did they become really popular and opened the market for further expansion.

The generation gap starts really after the 90s with movies like Akira and shows like Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon when anime marketing began worldwide, so no surprise the series remain obsolete.

Mevious wrote:

Also, I find it a bit disturbing that anime fans can't watch an anime with a little girl without their minds going in the gutter.

this goes way back to the "Castle of Cagliostro". Add also that after 30 years TV is even more messed up. Frenzy over everything! In most countries Heidi was broadcast by state broadcasters who had very good quality programming and werent relying on high TV ratings and sensationalisms. That sort of TV is long gone
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quote
I forgot about the bbc dub of Yuresei Yatsura. And Now I don't. HA. "If it's Pikachu, i've got the set!"

It's a shame they didn't do the whole thing, realy. Could of been good for a few laughs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2