• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Detroit Metal City Gets Hollywood Remake Offers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleuster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:05 am Reply with quote
How did this series get the attention of Hollywood, let alone everyone else in the world? Does Gene Simmons have his own studio now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:32 am Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
How did this series get the attention of Hollywood, let alone everyone else in the world? Does Gene Simmons have his own studio now?

DMC is very big in Japan, and has been promoted extremely heavily.
It seems to be a manga and movie that has appeal way beyond the standard otaku fanbase, so a lot of the popularity is outside of what the usual otaku would pay attention to.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:10 am Reply with quote
I know with the remakes, the original movie also gets marketed in the US (Dark Water, The Grudge, One Missed Call)...

xD If it gets me the original DVD, I don't care. Sort of.
tidusora

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quote
Wow, now I know that this is becoming big.

Considering it's a Rock Comedy, the U.S. is very good at that. Just watch Spinal Tap. Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:35 am Reply with quote
Wait, I thought there already was a Hollywood version. Am I missing something here?
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:

i love that it's getting so much attention. six months ago, no one even knew what this manga was. i get to be one of those elitist jerks that says they were reading the manga before it was cool.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
chronium

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Wait, I thought there already was a Hollywood version. Am I missing something here?

yes the series is called Detroit METAL City, they're still based on the same subject but completely different. Although Kiss has not been mentioned yet but Im sure sooner or later they will make an appearence.

If hollywood didn't get its attention anout this movie from Japan then the most likely source is its priemiere in the Toronto International Film festival.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:00 am Reply with quote
chronium wrote:
yes the series is called Detroit METAL City, they're still based on the same subject but completely different. Although Kiss has not been mentioned yet but Im sure sooner or later they will make an appearence.

Actually they have been. Gene Simmons plays one of the characters in the DMC movie.

I'm... conflicted... about the idea of this getting a Hollywood remake. On the one hand it has more potential to be good than any of the plethora of Japanese horror movie remakes we've been seeing in recent years. On the other hand, the Japanese version is PERFECT and I just can't imagine anyone but Matsuyama in the lead. Perhaps if they were to use him for the American version as well? Like that kid who was in both versions of The Grudge/Ju-on?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
On the other hand, the Japanese version is PERFECT and I just can't imagine anyone but Matsuyama in the lead. Perhaps if they were to use him for the American version as well? Like that kid who was in both versions of The Grudge/Ju-on?

Agreed. Matsuyama was incredible, I was totally blown away by his performance. I could not see any one else in the role now.

I'm not too sure about a remake, but I'm very excited about these distribution offers. I'd love to be able to show this to my friends, and I don't think the R2 will have subtitles (but I'm still hoping!).

v1cious wrote:
i love that it's getting so much attention. six months ago, no one even knew what this manga was. i get to be one of those elitist jerks that says they were reading the manga before it was cool.

Confused ...I hate to say it, but I completely agree. [/quote]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote
But in the American version they'll have to make it all PC and bullshit, so no ten rapes a second. Infact, no rape at all, right? Because then you'll have NOW and other stupid groups coming out of the woodwork and baaaawwwing all over it.
SeinenAi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
But in the American version they'll have to make it all PC and bullshit, so no ten rapes a second. Infact, no rape at all, right? Because then you'll have NOW and other stupid groups coming out of the woodwork and baaaawwwing all over it.

Exactly, the movie will lose all the funny parts and basically be a movie about a guy with 2 different lives. Part of the charm is the shock value & swearing, IMO.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Technically you could have all that if the movie was rated R. I'm pretty sure the word about Gene Simmons being in the Japanese version has caught the eyes and ears of companies here in the US, on top of that he has a few companies of his own. There's no way his commercially promoted appearance in a rock movie wouldn't go unnoticed.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I'm pretty sure most KISS fans are over the 18 yr old limit....and they can vouch for the younger KISS Army-in-training.
MageofFire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a big fan of American remakes of Japanese film. I saw the ring and thought it was dumb. The others that have come after it never caught my eye. I would like to see the original get out here but I doubt it from the little I've seen/read through fansub/scanlation.
chronium

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
chronium wrote:

Actually they have been. Gene Simmons plays one of the characters in the DMC movie.

Sorry I was more refering to the manga not the movie, but I did forget that Gene was in the movie
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2