• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Kaze No Stigma from Gonzo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a great announcement. I was weary of this anime for a long time because I read so much negative stuff about it on blogs but I actually enjoyed it when I saw it. It is not great stuff but it was enjoyable. I look forward to the release.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
This is great! I am glad its finally getting a release here in the US... It's too bad it took 2 years for it to happen...
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote
sweet
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
It's about time! I was beginning to think that the US Anime Industry had fallen out of love with Gonzo. If you were turned off by Speed Grapher, Basilisk, and/or Blassreiter, this title is more in the mold of the original Full Metal Panic - action, comedy and drama all mixed together. It's not particularly intellectual or deep, but definitely entertaining and enjoyable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
It's too bad it took 2 years for it to happen...

Actually, just under a year and a half. I haven't heard anything about this, but it looks alright. I'll definitely consider it, since I'm betting Funimation will be releasing it in half season boxes.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the image on it's description page I immediately thought "Shakugan no Shana." You have to admit... girl with red hair and a flaming sword... kinda similar.

However, I've never seen it myself, so I wouldn't know anything about it.
LKK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
When I saw the image on it's description page I immediately thought "Shakugan no Shana." You have to admit... girl with red hair and a flaming sword... kinda similar.

The similarities you mentioned ..... girl with red hair and a flaming sword .... are the only similarities between the two, IMO. KnS is less intense, has very different lead characters in terms of personalities and dynamics, and a completely different story focus.
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this anime as well; it's too bad it's being released so late after being televised. It's not the greatest show, but certainly does most things right.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's nice. I didn't watch it, but I heard it was fairly good. At least they didn't license El Cazador.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
I'll definitely consider it, since I'm betting Funimation will be releasing it in half season boxes.

Yeah, it was said in the FUNimation podcast (where they made the announcement) that it was going to be released in half-season sets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alex_Strife

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't surprise me the least. Kaze No Stigma IS a Gonzo series. It's only natural that they get it. And they need to get Rosario Vampire too! But they'd better stay the hell away from Gintama and Vampire Knight.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I remember reading about this in Anime Insider 50. The plot/characters sounded cool, I'll definitely check it out.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Alex_Strife wrote:
This doesn't surprise me the least. Kaze No Stigma IS a Gonzo series. It's only natural that they get it. And they need to get Rosario Vampire too! But they'd better stay the hell away from Gintama and Vampire Knight.

I expect Viz to get Rosario Vampire. Normally Viz does the anime of the manga Shonen Jump. And as for Vampire Knight, since it's with Shojo Beat, I wouldn't be amazed if it ends up with Viz too. Though, I could be wrong. I do wish they would be licensed soon though. I enjoyed both.

(Shonen Jump and Shojo Beat are owned by Viz partially.)
Delpheno

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Dude, Funimation is on a frickin' roll.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
R315r4z0r wrote:

The similarities you mentioned ..... girl with red hair and a flaming sword .... are the only similarities between the two, IMO. KnS is less intense, has very different lead characters in terms of personalities and dynamics, and a completely different story focus.

throw in that the female lead is tsundere and that makes 2 similarities.
My thoughts on the acquisition are....well, let's just say I'm anxiously awaiting the license acquisition of Lovely Complex. I've only seen the first 8 episodes of Kaze no Stigma, and as cool as Kazuma seemed Ayano grated on my nerves, I can no longer tolerate that sort of female archetype anymore it's not cute anymore (although imo it never really was) and all it really does is make the viewer want to murder said character in cold blood Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2