• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Agatha Christie Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:11 am Reply with quote
I'm sure Agatha CHRISTIE fans will be outraged that someone's stolen the name of their beloved... oh, it is her... well, nevermind carry on. Wink
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:43 am Reply with quote
While it is an intrguing concept, is it just me, or is it that mystery series in Japan (save Conan) just don't do all that well? Or maybe it's because of Conan that anything being produced is given lowered expectations?

Just call it a hunch. It's just that when I've seen the % ratings in Newtype, it feels like they are accepted rather lukewarmly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mizushimo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:07 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure what you mean. Detective Academy Q was doing pretty well when I checked the listings on Newtype USA, I'm not entirely sure, but I think Spiral did pretty well too.

I know that America isn't too fond of detective anime, it just doesn't have enough action ^^;;
Arkard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:57 am Reply with quote
Heck, to me Spiral is one of the best mystery shows out there. I think they just need some time to get the hand of this mystery genre. I think this AC aniem can turn out pretty well. I wonder if it will contain H. Poirot.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:25 am Reply with quote
Shocked Awesome!!!

Viva fushigi myyyysteriiiii! Laughing
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:30 am Reply with quote
I loved the old Poirot series on PBS. I can't wait to see how this turns out! ^^<3 I should read more of Christie's novels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:57 am Reply with quote
mizushimo wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean. Detective Academy Q was doing pretty well when I checked the listings on Newtype USA, I'm not entirely sure, but I think Spiral did pretty well too.

I know that America isn't too fond of detective anime, it just doesn't have enough action ^^;;

Hmm... comparing the listings in several back issues, I'd say that Q wasn't doing horribly, but it still falls into the average numbers. (roughly 4% and that comes across as a rough median between other series) Spiral was even lower in general regarding its viewership, frequently falling under 2% IIRC. I can't find my older issues to verify that one though. OTOH, maybe it is that the U.S. fans aren't into detective anime for the most part, and that may be why I get the feeling it isn't well recieved. Then again, maybe Conan will change that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
RHorsman

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:00 pm Reply with quote
At last, an anime for my mom!

Actually, th' wife might be interested in this too. Assuming someone in the US thinks it's worth picking up.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I think someone here will pick it up, because Agatha is a very popular author here. I just wonder how the fans here will accept it. Most are... old ladies, or mom aged, and consider animation for kids.
Angel_Renegade_Mage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:57 am Reply with quote
well... being an Agatha Christie fan and an anime fan, it'd go well because not only because of familiarity, unlike Case Closed which didn't have much of a plot as far as I was concerned when looking up about the Case Closed series, but also the fact that the graphics were way good... but the reason I think it won't go to air because the fact that it's too much 'violence' for kids to see it, just like the Conan/Case Closed series. But I think it'd go well, if it went to the US for screenings...
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I loved the old Poirot series on PBS. I can't wait to see how this turns out! ^^<3 I should read more of Christie's novels.

If your looking for a couple of the good Poirot books, I would really recommend Mysterious Affair at Styles and Curtain.

Although the idea sounds interesting, I don't think they can do a better job than what has already been done. It's like trying to redo Sherlock Holmes. No matter what type of twist you put on it, it's still the same characters with the same quirks.

You know this discussion thread is really old and I apologize for dragging it back up Smile
Krazyluffy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:14 pm Reply with quote
DAQ rocks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1