• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Unknown Pleasures

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
well Soul Calibur III was poorly done, but i dont see any reason why anyone would pick up the namco classic fighter collection
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:43 am Reply with quote
Hopefully Tree of Tranquility will make up for the crap bomb that was Island of Happiness with it's broken and hard to manage control scheme.

And of course, who can't be happy about more Dragon Quest?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I loved the hell out of Final Fantasy XII for several reasons, and one of them was its habit of toning down the anime-fantasy nonsense that permeates Final Fantasy games.

Whatever you say, Big Guy. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
ManaSoft isn't the first game developer to rip off SNK's Metal Slug series,

Metal Slug isn't exactly original in itself...

Quote:
I had a hard time believing that Dance Dance Revolution is only ten years old. With all the innumerable sequels, anime convention tournaments, and horrible webcomics offered up in Dance Dance Revolution's name, the series seems a lot older.

Technically, it's 12 years, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
Dragon Quest IV marked an important point in Enix's cash-cow series, as it was the first Dragon Quest game with an actual plot instead of a procession of loosely joined conversations and towns.

You obviously haven't played Part II or III. Also, I don't really care about Sugiyama's POV, since he's literally just in the background, and not the one at the top. Of course, your argument could easily apply to Wagner, so to each their own, I guess.

Quote:
Little about the gameplay has changed from the game's original NES-era form, but it's that menu-based simplicity and random combat that enthralled a nation back in the 1980s.

What about the fact that you're not forced to push your team into A.I. mode in the last chapter? That's a helluva difference, believe me.

Quote:
You've played and liked the first three Dragon Quests.

What? No 7 or 8 or Monsters?

Anyway, it's amusing that Nintendo actually has a page for Cho Aniki-and even more amusing that it only got an E10-but why can they put this out, while they're afraid of giving us Mother 3?

Oh, and since you're covering anime fighting games, how about Tech Romancer?
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
I actually prefer SCIII over IV in almost every way other than graphics... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Longer story mode, better character creator options, more play modes, weapon options, slightly more satisfying endings. Eh, I just found IV kinda disappointing and got bored with it after a week where I played SoulEdge, SoulBlade, SC, SCII, and SCIII for months on end. *shrugs*

Chrono Trigger and Shining Force Feather are the only real reason why I want a DS. Not long before Feather was announced I was lamenting online over the fact that it's been a decade since we've last seen strategy take on Shining Force when SFIII was released on the Saturn (a game I thoroughly enjoyed. PLEASE release a compilation remake already, Sega!).

I remember an article in EGM from years ago where they said we'd never see Cho-Aniki in the US. My how times have changed.

So, when do we get an Extra Lives for Tech Romancer, easily one of the most enjoyable and highly regarded yet under appreciated games on the Dreamcast? It really set the bar for anime parodies, a bar that hasn't really been reached since in my opinion. Every mecha in this game represented a different anime complete with its own art style. It's kinda like the precursor to Super Robot Wars Original Generation when you can look at an mech and pilot and know EXACTLY what they were imitating. You've got your 70's giant robot, your EVA, your magical girl, your Gundam, your Macross, your Getter Robo, just about everything you can think of. There was a little to dislike about that game except maybe the graphics, but it looked good in 2000, and the 2D art still holds up nicely.

Err, I may have gotten a bit off topic...

Emerje

(edit, looks like Gatsu had the same idea I did. Anime smallmouth )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:50 am Reply with quote
I would really recommend DQIV to anyone that liked Dragon Quest period. If you like the feel of the games, you'll like them no matter what because the familiarity is always there. I recently played through the NES version of IV as a refresher before playing it on DS, and it still holds up to today. Yeah, it's not super flashy, but it has a good story with fun characters and I love the chapters. I hate this localization, but hopefully the charm of the game will still shine through. I also love the Talk feature in the DS version, as it fleshes out the characters more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DigimonTamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:19 am Reply with quote
What isn't nice about Dragon Quest IV (and every Square Enix game on the DS) is that it is 40 dollars.

Even Nintendo's own games only go up to 35. Why do you do this Square? Stop ripping us off.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:55 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

So, when do we get an Extra Lives for Tech Romancer, easily one of the most enjoyable and highly regarded yet under appreciated games on the Dreamcast?

One of the local arcades still has a Tech Romancer cabinet. Should get the Dreamcast version one of these days. Never really got the hang of playing with an arcade stick, and of course the game's a bit of a quarter-muncher.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:06 am Reply with quote
In Japan they have Battle Fantasia on the Xbox 360 and PS3. I have the Japanese demo on my PS3 and its such an awesome fighting game. It sucks that here in America it comes out to the 360 first and notice it doesnt show the Only for Xbox 360 symbol so i know that would mean that it might arrive on the PS3 but just at a later time. Yggdra Union was great when it was on the Gameboy and it should be better on the PSP and according to Atlus if you reserve Yggdra Union you get a soundtrack for the game.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
DigimonTamer wrote:
What isn't nice about Dragon Quest IV (and every Square Enix game on the DS) is that it is 40 dollars.

Even Nintendo's own games only go up to 35. Why do you do this Square? Stop ripping us off.

That's odd. That works in Japan, where it's a major nostaligia-buy, but in America?
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
forgot to add
Quote:
Disappointed fans can take refuge in the fact that they're getting a second Haruhi game on the Wii.
They should be lucky they are getting any Haruhi game because here in America we probably wont get any which is quite sad for us in the states
heavyweather

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I had a hard time believing that Dance Dance Revolution is only ten years old. With all the innumerable sequels, anime convention tournaments, and horrible webcomics offered up in Dance Dance Revolution's name, the series seems a lot older.

When you mention webcomics, are you talking about "The 10k Commotion", perhaps? I didn't think it it was horrible, but maybe that's just me.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote
Michi:
Quote:
I recently played through the NES version of IV as a refresher before playing it on DS, and it still holds up to today.

So that godawful unstable A.I. in the last chapter didn't annoy you?

Quote:
I hate this localization, but hopefully the charm of the game will still shine through.

You do know the recent localizations are more authentic than the NES ones, right?

Digimon: You get a lot of gameplay for your money in DQ IV. It's not like Chrono Trigger, where you're just button-mashing after you get half-way through the game. You also need to be glad that it's getting any release at all, since it was technically supposed to come out six years ago on the PS1. The reason it didn't was because DQ 7 did so poorly as a result of snobby game critics and gamers who can't play anything which doesn't feature the latest graphics of an emo pretty boy hero.

They claim that it was the software team leaving which made us wait this long, but if that were the case, then it wouldn't be getting a release now, either.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
It's just hilarious that nobody even calls Dragon Quest Dragon Warrior anymore. Rolling Eyes
se37

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Hopefully Tree of Tranquility will make up for the crap bomb that was Island of Happiness with it's broken and hard to manage control scheme.

I must disagree... the control scheme is not as bad as people say. I have the game (and up to 60% of the island done) and while at first the control's are a bit off and it's not as tight as Phantom Hourglass. I picked up on it pretty quicky, would I like the normal controls, sure I would but just because the control's are different doesn't mean it's bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I actually prefer SCIII over IV in almost every way other than graphics... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Longer story mode, better character creator options, more play modes, weapon options, slightly more satisfying endings. Eh, I just found IV kinda disappointing and got bored with it after a week where I played SoulEdge, SoulBlade, SC, SCII, and SCIII for months on end. *shrugs*

im still waiting for Namco to bring back the weapon break system in SoulEdge/SoulBlade (same game btw). it was a great system that they took out and never brought back. there were some charecters that you wanted their weapons to break cause they were better without it, Taki anyone?

also i belive DDR came out in 1998 for the states, i know it was out a year longer in japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2