• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Compiler

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Yet another piece of treasure I have never heard of even remotely. =(
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
The manga is much much better though. These OAVs fail to capture its wackyness, IMO.
Nermal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:32 am Reply with quote
Oh man....can't wait to tell the software engineers at work that there was an anime called Compiler. Hehehe Razz
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
Nermal wrote:
Oh man....can't wait to tell the software engineers at work that there was an anime called Compiler. Hehehe Razz

Don't forget to tell the hardware guys who work in tandem about Assembler. Anime hyper
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
Nermal wrote:

Don't forget to tell the hardware guys who work in tandem about Assembler. Anime hyper

Do you mean Assemble Insert?

That and Compiler were already old fansubs even before VHS fansubs became old. Laughing
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:45 am Reply with quote
[quote=Justin Sevakis]There's a second Compiler OAV series (also with two episodes) that deals with an incident that threatens to take the girls away from Tokyo and from the boys they love.[/quote]
If you are referring to Compiler Festa, I believe that it is only one episode. Proof: allcinema, the Japanese Wikipedia article, the DVD on Amazon.co.jp, Studio Fantasia's works page (official site).
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
Useless trivia: compiler makes a cameo in Silent Möbius TV. She runs a café, IIRC.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Do you mean Assemble Insert?

Nah, leave that one off. Assemble and Insert are the two modes of linear video editing. (You know, back when we were all using RS-232 controllers and tape decks. God, how I don't miss those days.)

doc-watson42 wrote:
If you are referring to Compiler Festa, I believe that it is only one episode.

Ah, you could be right on that one. I've seen it years ago, but memory ain't what it used to be.
atlanime

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:15 am Reply with quote
The weird part is that unlike alot of manga-based anime, Compiler actually takes place after the manga series. In other words, you would've had to read the manga the whole way through to know what was going on in the anime. Unfortunately, no one ever picked up the manga rights in America, although Fanboy Entertainment was looking into it when they first went into business.
Coderjoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:43 am Reply with quote
I first learned about Compiler when I was scanning in barcodes from my collection to index it. One of the Abenobashi DVDs happened to come up as Compiler on one of the sites the program was getting data from. After looking at the summary on a couple sites, I decided I had to check it out. I managed to find the dub VHS tapes at a booth at ACen this year. Still have to get around to watching them all the way through, though.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:35 am Reply with quote
Wheee! A new title to add to my list of 'anime on VHS but not DVD that could be worth having!' Honestly, it's a lot more fun to track down these old tapes than getting new DVDs. Now, the big question- sub, dub, or both? *ponders*
BRD529

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
These are the days that make me feel old. I have both OVAs and Festa on Laserdisc... *heavy sigh*
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
its wierd, i'm starting to notice and remember abit better that anime in the early to mid 90's had better dubs than subs.

i dunno why, i dunno if the talent was just right or what.

gonna have to find the VHS versions of this one now
danth78

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Coderjoe wrote:
One of the Abenobashi DVDs happened to come up as Compiler on one of the sites the program was getting data from.
Yeah, I bought that Abenobashi DVD because a Half.com seller had it listed as Compiler! I had heard that Compiler was never released on DVD, but it looked pretty convincing, so I took the chance and bought it. Sure enough, I got the Abenobashi DVD instead. I figured it was an ISBN mix up.
BRD529 wrote:
These are the days that make me feel old. I have both OVAs and Festa on Laserdisc... *heavy sigh*
Don't feel bad, I'm jealous.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Reading this column has exposed me to plenty of olschool anime I might have never heard about otherwise. Smile

Seeing as how Compiler is out of print (Why do the oldies-but-goodies always end up going out of print or not getting licensed?), I've been forced to "summon" it but haven't been able to find it. (I hope someone rescues this show so I have a legit alternative!)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2