• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Premieres on The CW in U.S. on Saturday

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:14 am Reply with quote
Like many other dubs,I always give these types of shows a chance before I compleatly turn them down,4kids seem to only rely on Card Battle monster anime these days rather than Shounen fighters,I can see Yugioh 5D and Dinosaur King becoming 4kids's next big jaugernauts

but however,they never finished Yugioh GX
willyfoureyes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:00 am Reply with quote
If I'm to believe what happens in the episode summaries for the original, unedited version of Season 4, I don't think a lot of it would have been suitable (to them) to air anyway.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
wasn't it posted somewhere that 4kids was basicly keeping 5d's pretty much the same?
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
I am just curious about the OP. I hope it is not "Chilling out with my crew and my D-Wheel"
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
Ghstmtrx wrote:
I am just curious about the OP. I hope it is not "Chilling out with my crew and my D-Wheel"
if anything it's gonna be something obnoxious, screw the us version of the opening I prefered the japanese opening
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:00 am Reply with quote
I just hope everyone remebers this is 4kids we are talking about. The same company that ruined One Piece and several other shows.

Knowing 4kids, this show will probably be as bad. Though nothing can be as bad as the English theme song of Eyeshield 21. That is one of the worst English theme song's I've heard in a long time.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I just hope everyone remebers this is 4kids we are talking about. The same company that ruined One Piece and several other shows.

Knowing 4kids, this show will probably be as bad. Though nothing can be as bad as the English theme song of Eyeshield 21. That is one of the worst English theme song's I've heard in a long time.
point taken
ryusaki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote
idk about anyone else but I'm sticking with subs, opening obnoxious, from what I'm guessing they hacked together their own script, voice actors are doing their job but I can't picture jack as an ausi and yusei as a mouthy street punk
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I never could get into this type of anime(based on card games).

The "Pokemon card game anime clones" continues.......

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I thought the 4kids version was great. Dub was good I thought, voices fit the characters except for that boy/girl thing and that guy with the white outfit, and the theme song fits. But, the original opening is ten times better. I wish that Yu-Gi-Oh was more popular here so that it could get a better treatment, instead of being popular by mostly kids. Wish that the season box sets that are coming out for Yu-Gi-Oh now had all the original scenes and music. I know they came out with a couple of DVD's that were uncut, but that was pulled.

Honestly I'm "satisfied" with what 4kids does with the Yu-Gi-Oh series in general. But hate the edits in scenes and cuts of the original script. Love the first series, and GX had a good premise but the English script took it down along the way. Hopefully this series will turn out cool. And on the side note, I think the voice actors/actresses from the 4kids version of One Piece is better than the Funimation cast.

For anyone who watched both the English and Japanese versions, what do you think?
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
it could have been better honestly I didn't like the opening for the dub version, still can't picture jack as an ausi and yusei as a chaty street thug, I prefer the japanese version best cause mostlikely they've toned the us version so it wouldn't be as dark as the orignal
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, the Japanese version was better, of course. My major problems with the dub are the changed background music, and especially Jack's voice. Ugh.

I might keep watching this... but if "We Ride to Survive" had won the theme song contest, I might have been much more compelled to tune in every week... Surprised
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Well, the Japanese version was better, of course. My major problems with the dub are the changed background music, and especially Jack's voice. Ugh.

I might keep watching this... but if "We Ride to Survive" had won the theme song contest, I might have been much more compelled to tune in every week... Surprised

To pour salt all over your wounds, We Ride To Survive was #2 in terms of votes, as announced on the CW4Kids preview show last night, it had it's own opening animation and everything.
ryusaki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
It's honest NOT a bad as the extremist make it out to be.
Sure, we'll always hate 4Kids because of One Piece, but thanks to it, they've started wising up.

Only real changes outside of the BGM and a few SLIGHT name changes (Ushio is called Trudge Confused ) was a bit of added backstory between Yusei and Trudge/Ushio.

I kinda liked it though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2