• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Go Speed Grapher Go!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I am SO glad somebody else likes Angelic Days! Yay for not being the only one!!!
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
I am SO glad somebody else likes Angelic Days! Yay for not being the only one!!!

I was going to say the same exact thing! I thought I was alone. After watching Eva, Angelic Days was a pleasant experience. Plus, as the time I wanted more of the Eva characters and this worked out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:

Third that! Angelic Days was amazing, defiantly one of my top manga's. Glad other people liked it as much as I did Very Happy

I'm happy about the score that Death Note got, in my opinion the manga is so much superior than the anime. It goes into detail more.

And surprised about the Speed Grapher score. The anime didn't really get that many good ratings, but it was still cool. Defiantly picking this one up.
Anath_19

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
Man, I completely missed the fact that the Speed Grapher manga was licensed! I'll be adding this to my "to-buy" list right away. Despite the rather sloppy animation work on the anime, I greatly enjoyed the story.

On a side note, I like seeing that someone thinks Angelic Days was worthwhile. Makes me more inclined to go pick up volumes 4-5 to finish off my collection and to finish reading the series.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
Death Note Volume 1 got an "A-", huh?

I can live with that, though personally I believe the beginning to be far and away the best part of Death Note.
ikari2001

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:38 am Reply with quote
Angelic days is worth it (mainly if you are an eva fan) it's a much lighter tale than the Eva itself, but that's probably the reason I liked it. I'm also glad the final pairing was what I was hoping for, otherwise I may have had to complain to the author Razz Twisted Evil
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:01 am Reply with quote
I am happy to hear that there is a Speed Grapher manga, and that it's decent.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
The beginning is indeed definitely the best part of death note
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
I think the long paragraphs of dialogue in Death Note is why I enjoyed the anime more. Somewhere, a long time ago, I read something that said "Manga is supposed to be read quickly." That's not to say you can't stop every once in a while to enjoy the scenery so to speak, but that's the sort of mentality I've always had with manga so I found the dialogue in the manga hard to concentrate on. The anime however allows you to look at other things while listening to the dialogue so it's a lot more relaxing. Or maybe I'm just lazy. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cool3865

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
Angelic Days is a good series, i liked it alot

edit: forgot to say but GOTH does indeed look good

Last edited by cool3865 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
After enjoying Sadamoto's Evangelion manga, Angelic Days was a bit of a shock with its considerably rough artwork, but the story was very enjoyable. I own the complete run. I definitely agree that the decidedly more well-rounded Rei was a definite plus.

(edited for a misspelling.)
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
OHBA's artwork? Sorry, but I had to point it out. Obata is the artist, sir. Not Ohba.

Oh, I like Angelic Days! I haven't read the original though...
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Huh, all the comments are making me think I should check out Angelic Days. One of the main reasons I enjoyed Evangelion so much was the characters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
kirbyboy102 wrote:
OHBA's artwork? Sorry, but I had to point it out. Obata is the artist, sir. Not Ohba.

Embarassed

GUH. I even got it right further down the same paragraph! Proofreading? What's that?

*turns in fanboy credentials*

Goodbye.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Death Note Volume 1 got an "A-", huh?

I can live with that, though personally I believe the beginning to be far and away the best part of Death Note.

I have to agree and would also like to add to the comment concerning the decrease in quality for the later half:

spoiler[I believe the fans claiming L being killed off caused a lackluster second arcs are... Half fan girls who thought 'zomg! tehy kild mah L!' and half are just displeased with how much of a different fight it was between Light and Near's group, in contrast to L's group.

I think saying the later arcs are... Not good, is really a stretch. We see Light's insanity as a mad genius come full circle and upon conclusion, TRULY bite him in the ass. I have never seen a villain's come-uppance delivered SO well and so perfectly that it's a tragedy. When I look back on the second half of death note, there's a heavy sense of conflicting emotions. Yes, it was good that evil was eliminated and everything, but deep down, you can't help but feel a small ounce of pity for Light, thinking about the other, more peaceful and beneficial life he would've led. Humans are not meant to play the executioner of the people in the world, that's the message I got at the least.]

But the entire series is a collaboration of conflicting emotions, isn't it? Overall though, I saw it as a fantastic character piece and being I myself never read the manga, I might take this as an initiative to finally do it.

I enjoyed the anime and I've read bits and pieces of the manga, why not start when the collector's edition is being released?

On the opening comment of the calendar however, I have to say I'd lean more towards a CLANNAD or Code Geass R2 calendar. >o>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2