• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Weekend Atlanta 2008 - Bandai Entertainment

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chibitoon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
So...............does this mean that they are going to stop showing the dubbed GL after this weekend? Or am reading it wrong? (I don't want to have to pay $2 for every new GL dubbed episode they put on iTunes.)

(It's late and I'm a bit tired, so I could be missing something. x.x )
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
Kinda sounds that way, but Monday night is part of the weekend. And the "final" episodes? Are they just skipping to the end or is it their final broadcast episodes? Either way it's a little annoying to make such a big deal out of it only to show half the series. I'm guessing they haven't completed enough episodes and the two week break didn't buy them enough time so they're just ending it all together. Can we get some clarification on this?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Another upcoming show is Ayakashi Ayashi, billed jokingly as a retro version of Cowboy Bebop set in historical Japan.

I believe that already exists. It's called Samurai Champloo. Wink

Actually though, it does sound somewhat interesting.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:33 am Reply with quote
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:39 am Reply with quote
That is good to know Smile , I'm really enjoying GL and I cannot wait to see Gundam 00 as well.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:35 am Reply with quote
Yoshida noted that the final episodes of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann are set to air this weekend, with Gundam 00 scheduled to fill its soon-to-be vacant time slot immediately after.

Isnm't Gurren Lagann supposed to be ending in November or something? This guy must be retarded.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:44 am Reply with quote
Sci-Fi's schedule shows TTGL going on until the end of its run, so I'm not worried.

Um, I've never watched Hayate, but is there a point to having censored dub/sub versions along with the genuine thing? Sounds like a waste of disc space to me. Maybe there's a genuine reason for the show why this would be expected, but it's beyond me.

Also, Bandai, please try to give us updates on the "disc error" problems and what's being done to end them. It's especially annoying now, I mean Code Geass was acting up but you could return it, no major foul. But then for TTGL not to mess up until the THIRD volume, that's ridiculous. Now people are stuck with only 2/3rds of the show. Granted, I'm waiting for the dub/sub release, but it's still rough on those who bought the sub version.
DRWii

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Um, I've never watched Hayate, but is there a point to having censored dub/sub versions along with the genuine thing? Sounds like a waste of disc space to me. Maybe there's a genuine reason for the show why this would be expected, but it's beyond me.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I feel that the censorship really adds to the humor of the show. Sure, if you don't get the reference you just kind of blink at the screen, but if you do get the reference you usually laugh pretty hard (I especially loved "Ina**ma Kick!!"). I'm glad to hear they'll do the same with the dub.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
No one asked them about the matter of Sci-Fi vs. Adult Swim? After comparing the way Geass and Gurren have been treated, if I was Bandai, I'd get my stuff on Sci-Fi. I want ECW viewers seeing ads for my products, as opposed to ads for my products not existing.
Alex_Strife

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
YES! I KNEW they were gonna make a Hayate dub! And to think, everyone doubted me saying they would pull a "Gurenn Lagann" on us.

Speaking of which, what does it mean it will be censored and uncensored. Does that mean they'll cut out any references to other animes and such or will they swear alot like in Shin Chan?
Whoisthatguy?! An idiot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
No one asked them about the matter of Sci-Fi vs. Adult Swim? After comparing the way Geass and Gurren have been treated, if I was Bandai, I'd get my stuff on Sci-Fi. I want ECW viewers seeing ads for my products, as opposed to ads for my products not existing.

Agreed, I wished someone asked them about whether Code Geass would be scheduled to appear on Ani-Monday after it's run on AS. And no, I am not bashing AS so keep your fanboying to yourself I am just wondering if we might get a chance to see it appear there after its run on CN.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:55 am Reply with quote
It means, as DRWii mentioned, that the show is full of anime and pop culture references. These were bleeped in the original broadcast, but the DVD releases had a separate uncensored audio track. The R1 release will apparently be the same way, with the addition of censored and uncensored English dubs.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Yoshida noted that the final episodes of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann are set to air this weekend, with Gundam 00 scheduled to fill its soon-to-be vacant time slot immediately after.

Isnm't Gurren Lagann supposed to be ending in November or something? This guy must be retarded.

Barring any further evidence, I'm going to assume he misspoke and was talking about Now and Then, Here and There. Which is airing right after Gurren Laggan.

Honestly not the most awful confusion along those lines I've ever heard. Back when 4Kids still had some credibility, they picked up Tokyo Mew Mew and Magical Do-Re-Mi for stateside airing. Tokyo Mew Mew is a somewhat fanservicey Sailor Moon ripoff. Magical Do-Re-Mi is everything you hate about moe, most specifically character designs that look 3 years old. They were announced at the same time, with the poor sod doing the announcement saying that while they expected both shows to have appeal to young girls, they also expected Do-Re-Mi to have crossover appeal with boys because the girls "are very sexy".

I don't think they ever truly lived that one down...
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

And isn't Gundam Seed Destiny Movie 3 (not the forth and final volume) coming out in November?

**Looks at preorder**

Yep!
Chibitoon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Barring any further evidence, I'm going to assume he misspoke and was talking about Now and Then, Here and There. Which is airing right after Gurren Laggan.

Oh, good! I reread that article so many times thinking I missed something, then when to bed somewhat bummed. It really would have been dumb to end it this weekend, especially when it is so close to the end of the show's first half.

And while it wouldn't kill me to wait until the dub DVDs came out, I still would not want to pay $2 for every episode just to see the ending. x.x

Thanks for answering my question! Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2