• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Weekend Atlanta 2008 - Funimation Entertainment

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex_Strife

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
Still no new news on D. Gray Man? Man, I bet by the end of the year, they're gonna announce that it will air on Adult Swim before the end of they year, I gurantee you they will. They did it for FMA, there's no way they'd miss the opportunity to air D Gray Man on AS.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
With the recent developments at Cartoon Network and [adult swim] I don't really see much future for new anime airing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Alex_Strife

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
With the recent developments at Cartoon Network and [adult swim] I don't really see much future for new anime airing.

Maybe not with Toonami strong but last I checked, AS anime seemed to be doing fine outside Code Geass and that other show. I'm sure that, besides Bleach, they're taking a break until they can get a new anime to air on their network. Believe me, D Gray Man will end up on AS one way or another.
Whoisthatguy?! An idiot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
Alex_Strife wrote:
LuckySeven wrote:

Maybe not with Toonami strong but last I checked, AS anime seemed to be doing fine outside Code Geass and that other show. I'm sure that, besides Bleach, they're taking a break until they can get a new anime to air on their network. Believe me, D Gray Man will end up on AS one way or another.

Not really, the anime on AS has been reduced to only two shows, Bleach and FMA, while CN is at least pursuing Power Puff Girl Z. According to Mugen(The guy who post the ratings) it could be due to the decline in AS's placement in the ratings. The lionshare of AS's ratiings don't come from thier originals or Anime, but Seth shows and I think the Boondocks. Family Guy does well for AS so things get cut down when it starts to decline.
Alex_Strife

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Whoisthatguy?! An idiot wrote:
Alex_Strife wrote:
LuckySeven wrote:

Not really, the anime on AS has been reduced to only two shows, Bleach and FMA, while CN is at least pursuing Power Puff Girl Z. According to Mugen(The guy who post the ratings) it could be due to the decline in AS's placement in the ratings. The lionshare of AS's ratiings don't come from thier originals or Anime, but Seth shows and I think the Boondocks. Family Guy does well for AS so things get cut down when it starts to decline.

Oh come on. Just because we're going through an anime decline right now on CN, I wouldn't count CN out of them getting more anime for their other blocks. Besides I doubt they would skip the chance to put out a show like D Gray Man, which is an ongoing series, on broadcast because they already did it with FMA and Shin Chan.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Personally, even I am surprised why there isn't any real news surrounding D.Gray-Man other than "FUNimation has it". D.Gray-Man is a very popular JUMP title in Japan which ranked 2nd in manga sales and a TV series that has now spanned 100 episodes.

The show is also quite popular in the fansub circuit as well so unless FUNimation has this uber BIG surprise for D.Gray-Man, it just seems unnatural for them to remain quiet over a popular JUMP property. Confused
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Will the Saionkoku volumes be released in 3 volume sets? Or just the singles?
I definitely plan on getting the whole thing. Cool
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
So "Darker than Black" will be a Funimation dub? No offense, but I'd hoped for an LA dub. Texas dubs seem to have a more limited actor pool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I watched some of the trailers of Moonphase on my Iphone and it looks freaking horrible. It's youtube quality and I'm sorry youtube is free. I won't be surprised to hear that the service is cut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Whoisthatguy?! An idiot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh come on. Just because we're going through an anime decline right now on CN, I wouldn't count CN out of them getting more anime for their other blocks. Besides I doubt they would skip the chance to put out a show like D Gray Man, which is an ongoing series, on broadcast because they already did it with FMA and Shin Chan.

I agree, we shouldn't count out CN. I just do not think AS will. Ok, what makes D. Grayman anymore special than the other Anime? I like it too, but I don't see why it is something AS would want. Personally, I would rather it go to CN because Shonen do really well with CN's demographic.

Maybe AS will order more anime in the near future, but it just seems unlikely to me given the way AS is now.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
idiot wrote:
I agree, we shouldn't count out CN. I just do not think AS will. Ok, what makes D. Grayman anymore special than the other Anime? I like it too, but I don't see why it is something AS would want. Personally, I would rather it go to CN because Shonen do really well with CN's demographic.

*facepalm*

Okay, first of all, we're talking about a show that deals heavily with religious themes that focuses around Judeo-Christianity. Such material is a big no-no for Cartoon Network any way you slice it. Secondly, the show is very very dark for a Shonen series. You have demons being created by murdering their grieving loved ones and taking their form. Thirdly, the show's violence is pretty big even if it is a watered down version from the manga.

The show won't fly on Cartoon Network.
Whoisthatguy?! An idiot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
idiot wrote:

*facepalm*

Okay, first of all, we're talking about a show that deals heavily with religious themes that focuses around Judeo-Christianity. Such material is a big no-no for Cartoon Network any way you slice it. Secondly, the show is very very dark for a Shonen series. You have demons being created by murdering their grieving loved ones and taking their form. Thirdly, the show's violence is pretty big even if it is a watered down version from the manga.

The show won't fly on Cartoon Network.

Your post makes me facepalm.

Yu Yu Hakosho dealth with demons and death as well not to mention it was very dark itself. Sensui wanted to commit mass genocide. Ninjas are killed on Naruto OFTEN. IGPX also allowed cursing. Do you remember Gaara? Are you that THICKHEADED? The dubb can easily be watered down and concepts remade or removed because that's how dubbs and edits work. The Christain element of the show can be easily removed and the order changed to a generic demon hunting agency.

Don't reply to me with such a poorly thought out post again, please.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
idiot wrote:

*facepalm*

Okay, first of all, we're talking about a show that deals heavily with religious themes that focuses around Judeo-Christianity. Such material is a big no-no for Cartoon Network any way you slice it.

The people who liked Trinity Blood beg to differ with you. So do the people who hated it, for that matter. (I was in the former camp myself, though I occassionally winced. A drunken, flirtatious nun? An 8-year-old pope? Homicidal holy warriors called Inquisitors? Ho boy...)

No, I think the real reason D. Grey Man is being held back is... well, it's shonen. Maybe it's me, but I've been hearing a whisper on the wind saying the anime crash is going to hit shonen especially hard. Sure, Naruto and Bleach are both holding their own, but One Piece bombed, Blue Dragon bombed, Shaman King never took off, Zatch Bell fizzled, toynime series draw zero heat, the prospects for networks where it would find an audience are dwindling, and- this is the important thing- on every anime board on the internet, people mock shonen and the relentless, cookie-cutter sameness of their plots and characters. Sometimes they mock it in good humor, but even then, the flaws are acknowledged. Bluntly put, it's the after-school adventure fare we grew up with- the kind of thing the fandom spent decades trying to argue with the general public that anime was NOT. This doesn't mean the genre itself is doomed in the USA, but it does mean a series has to be exceptional. Plus, there's the fact that these shows tend to run for ages, which is a huge commitment in financially strained times. I think it's going to be very difficult to get an open-ended shonen series on the air for the next few years.

Another possibility, of course, is that the project is being tied up by A) the huge workload Funi took on by absorbing the Geneon/ADV orphans, and B) some kind of squabble with Viz, who owns the manga rights.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
One Piece did not bomb. It's #13 in anime DVD sales. That's the exact opposite of bombing.

"Blue Dragon bombed"

Considering how Viz handled it, not surprising.

"Shaman King never took off"

That's 4Kids for ya.

"Zatch Bell fizzled"

Well, considering the look of the series, I can see why some might not be interested......

You've got to do better than that. I've seen no evidence that shonen is going anywhere.

"B) some kind of squabble with Viz, who owns the manga rights."

That had no effect on FMA, why would it effect it here?
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
idiot wrote:
Your post makes me facepalm.

Yu Yu Hakosho dealth with demons and death as well not to mention it was very dark itself. Sensui wanted to commit mass genocide. Ninjas are killed on Naruto OFTEN. IGPX also allowed cursing. Do you remember Gaara? Are you that THICKHEADED? The dubb can easily be watered down and concepts remade or removed because that's how dubbs and edits work. The Christain element of the show can be easily removed and the order changed to a generic demon hunting agency.

Don't reply to me with such a poorly thought out post again, please.

You must be a pretty clever little asshole to come in here and start calling me thickheaded and my posts "poorly thought out". Maybe you don't realize this but you're giving Cartoon Network FAR too much credit here. The show WON'T work on a regular afternoon or early evening block. Renaming the Black Order to some other organization and watering down the show's concepts doesn't change the fact that it is a dark show that deals with darker concepts. Casual and non casual anime fans WILL notice this and WILL raise a stink about it. Wake up! This isn't 1998 anymore! I'm still even amazed that you want to see a show censored in this day and age.

Or better yet, tell me everything in specifics in how this show can work as a censored dub on CN's regular kids block. I'd love to hear it.

BellostheMighty wrote:
The people who liked Trinity Blood beg to differ with you. So do the people who hated it, for that matter. (I was in the former camp myself, though I occassionally winced. A drunken, flirtatious nun? An 8-year-old pope? Homicidal holy warriors called Inquisitors? Ho boy...)

In case you didn't notice, I was protesting D.Gray-Man on a regular CN slot, not Adult Swim.
Quote:
Another possibility, of course, is that the project is being tied up by A) the huge workload Funi took on by absorbing the Geneon/ADV orphans, and B) some kind of squabble with Viz, who owns the manga rights.

A is more likely. B isn't. Viz lost the bidding war to the anime. They have no right to bitch.
Quote:
No, I think the real reason D. Grey Man is being held back is... well, it's shonen. Maybe it's me, but I've been hearing a whisper on the wind saying the anime crash is going to hit shonen especially hard. Sure, Naruto and Bleach are both holding their own, but One Piece bombed, Blue Dragon bombed, Shaman King never took off, Zatch Bell fizzled, toynime series draw zero heat, the prospects for networks where it would find an audience are dwindling, and- this is the important thing- on every anime board on the internet, people mock shonen and the relentless, cookie-cutter sameness of their plots and characters. Sometimes they mock it in good humor, but even then, the flaws are acknowledged. Bluntly put, it's the after-school adventure fare we grew up with- the kind of thing the fandom spent decades trying to argue with the general public that anime was NOT. This doesn't mean the genre itself is doomed in the USA, but it does mean a series has to be exceptional. Plus, there's the fact that these shows tend to run for ages, which is a huge commitment in financially strained times. I think it's going to be very difficult to get an open-ended shonen series on the air for the next few years.

One Piece being taken off of CN is much more suspicious. I doubt it has anything to do with low ratings and more to do with company politics. Blue Dragon is understandable because hack dubbing the show and giving it the same treatment for the DVD is a major shot in the foot to today's anime industry...especially to the Toriyama and/or Blue Dragon fanbase.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2