• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga Launches eManga Site with Free Samples

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stopher87

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
Ugh... Why do they only have two categories, Yaoi and other? You create a site were people can read manga online, fine. if you make a site, though, for yaoi books and manga to teach you to draw manga. This is not fine. The anime community is small enough in America. Who are they trying to reach, the 1% of the 1% of people that like anime? I am not saying yaoi is bad. If you like it then have at it. I do not know to what extent yaoi reaches amoung the anime community, but if I took all the people I know that like anime (maybe 40) one of them likes yaoi (and yes she is a girl).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
stopher87 wrote:
Ugh... Why do they only have two categories, Yaoi and other? You create a site were people can read manga online, fine. if you make a site, though, for yaoi books and manga to teach you to draw manga. This is not fine. The anime community is small enough in America. Who are they trying to reach, the 1% of the 1% of people that like anime? I am not saying yaoi is bad. If you like it then have at it. I do not know to what extent yaoi reaches amoung the anime community, but if I took all the people I know that like anime (maybe 40) one of them likes yaoi (and yes she is a girl).

Because DMP is largely a yaoi publisher. They have a few other titles, but their first big seller was Only the Ring Finger which did well enough, they licensed more yaoi & mostly yaoi.

In the same way, were Viz to start an enterprise like this, one would expect them to offer their own titles. Should the yaoi community then protest the lack of yaoi from a company that publishes mostly shonen & shojo titles?

Before you cream about how many yaoi fans you know, realize the yaoi community, however large it is, heavily supports the companies that bring us our BL. Most of the fansubbers do remove titles when they are aware the title has been published without waiting for a personal cease & desist notice. One retailer I know said the gals know when the books are due, they come in that day, buy the books & are gone. Considering a lot of BL is 18+, depending on your age, you maybe shouldn't know a lot yaoi fans although there are a large number of yaoi fans who are willing to lie about being over 18 to read the fansubs. If the bookstores are on the ball, though, they aren't getting their hands on a hard copy without the assistance of an adult.
manafairy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote
I'd agree that they should cover a broader genre of titles if not for the fact that the site is run by DMP, whose catalog is easily more than 90% yaoi/BL. It might be nice if they had previews from one or two of their shounen or shoujo titles rather than from their how to draw books, but as their yaoi line is likely the most successful of their releases and probably the most suited to this whole idea of renting a book for a short time (being they rarely extend past 2 volumes), it's understandable that they would choose to solely target their yaoi fanbase.

On a personal note, as a yaoi fan who buys a lot from DMP, I'm really loving the site so far. With the amount of yaoi titles being released, it's always really hard to find the gems that are worth my time and money, and often times, titles I would absolutely love end up falling completely under the radar, so it's really nice to get a chance to preview some titles that I may have otherwise overlooked (It already sold me Paradise on the Hill, Steal Moon, and Kiss Blue). I'm not really into renting things, as I always feel any money I spent on a rental could have gone towards ownership, but I'll certainly be using the site to help decide what might be worth a purchase.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Heroes are Extinct was cute enough, though didn't quite live up to what I hoped for it (more thorough skewering of the Power Rangers mode heros). There were enough cute jokes I felt it worth the money I paid (probably around $7 or $8 per vol for 3 volumes). The crew all wearing masks covering their heads so the artist didn't have to draw faces was cute.
I didn't care for the art to Vampire Hunter D, so only bought one volume of that one.
Haven't bought Day of Revolution because it's what my daughter calls "fake yaoi"(crossdressing, etc). Person grows up as boy turns out is girl so an operation or 2 later is a girl, but it's by the author of Princess Princess & Makoto was it? is the boyfriend of the boy turned girl. (Pink-haired princess who hated being a princess) I'd say it's more Hana Kimi. I might get it someday, but see no big rush.
Not all the yaoi titles are all that explicit. They have a few imprints. 801 is their hard line. June is, I believe their more explicit than Yaoi Manga line & they do put some out under DMP (But it might be the other way around-Yaoi being more explicit than the June line.)
Princess Princess can hardly be considered yaoi. I throw it in because there's a lot of yaoi jokes, but there really aren't any definitively gay characters as I recall & Tsuda states it is a friendship between boys, not yaoi. It's interesting in that she has filled the cast with secondary characters from other stories so it's nice they weren't forgotten.
I only read one Enchanter--looked to be pretty standard shonen plot of geek/nerd/unpopular boy thrown in with a very buxom chick or 3. Had it's moments, but not enough.
I was given a copy of Gloom Party. Interesting information in it, but I have other interests & likely wouldn't have bought it otherwise.
That's about all I've seen of their other line. My daughter has several of their "How to draw" series & prefers their titles to other manga instruction books.
Tenso Muso(?)-again, I hoped for more, but it settled for inane shojo. Not bad, but more time killer for an afternoon.
Clan of the Nakagamike(Nagakamike?) by Homerun Ken never really got explicit--the couple was interrupted every time they tries to consumate their relationship & the humor was good. I don't recall if Waru was explicit, but it was funny (the criminal's dad needed his own manga.)
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Digital Manga Lanches eManga Site with Free Samples?

Friendly suspected typo alert. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1