• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Picks Up Otomo's Live-Action Mushi-shi Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! This pretty much guarantees a Blu-ray release at some point. And from what I've seen in the visuals, it should look spectacular if they get the authoring down. Combine that with a TrueHD 5.1 Japanese track, and you've got some great entertainment value in the works. It should also be pretty cheap at Amazon considering a lot of their other B-r titles' treatment.
marzipan.dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to it.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
yeah I am deleting my fan sub version now and desperately awaiting the DVD release.
Ligene

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Knew FUNi couldn't keep away for long. Anime smallmouth

But really looking forward to it - I've been wanting to see it for some time now.
JackCox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
PLEASE DUB THIS! I'm dead serious, I would love to hear Travis Willingham reprise Ginko.
Xagor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised it took this long to be released in the US, I'm sure the UK has had it for a while.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I knew it was inevitable, but I hope Otomo makes up for Steamboy with it.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Thankfully, Funimation is far less likely to market the movie under the English title 'Bugmaster' than previous international screenings have done ....
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Vok: That's what it means in English...
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
GATSU: That's what it LITERALLY means in English, but the Japanese "mushi" is much more nuanced than "bug." It has a bit more elegance to it. I think, if anything, "Insect-master" is a closer translation.

Anyway, I picked this up a couple of months ago from the local video store, and I can say that one viewing was enough. The visuals are about the only thing this movie had going for it. Other than that, it suffered from extreme pacing issues (1/2 to 2/3 of the way though, you'll be wondering why it's still going), paper-thin characters, and some really bad acting. It's not a bad thing that Funimation picked it up or anything, but don't get your hopes up too much.
melonbread

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:20 am Reply with quote
Awesome stuff.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
I was wondering when this was finally going to come out here on DVD. I missed it when it screened at the Seattle International Film Festival because I waited too long to buy tickets and it sold out. I was pretty disappointed about that, so I'm glad to hear that not only am I going to have a chance to see it on DVD, but that Funi is also thinking about a theatrical release. I wonder if they will dub it, and if so, which version they will use in the theaters.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Xagor wrote:
I'm surprised it took this long to be released in the US, I'm sure the UK has had it for a while.

It's been out for ages, although I never got around to buying it (previous Japanese live-action adaptations haven't inspired confidence and I've been spending too much money on imports).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:22 am Reply with quote
I didn't know Otomo did this. To my knowledge, this film was the only anime live-action anime adaptation to have got an advert in my local newspaper.
Not a massivly important fact, but it caught my attention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
d.yaro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
I missed it when it screened at the Seattle International Film Festival because I waited too long to buy tickets and it sold out. I was pretty disappointed about that,...

Tsk, tsk. Shame on you. Heh, heh. You have to stay on top of things when dealing with film festivals right?

I've seen the film on DVD and would most likely take the time to see it in a theatre. That, in my mind, would be the only way to really see the film. On a TV screen there are scenes where there is so much going on that the film becomes overwhelming. And there are scenes that I know in my heart would be more magical than magic on the big screen...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2